Tell me about NOT being in YC!

toxicfairy

So we booked the Seaside for July. I realize it's not even built yet so know one has any reviews. However...all most all reviews of MSC ships are from people who did Yacht Club. We are doing Fantastica so what is that going to be like? Do you feel 2nd class if you're not in YC? I just couldn't afford it. Maybe next time if we like MSC .

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

We've sailed in Yacht Club and in a Fantastica balcony. Never felt 2nd class when not in YC and have enjoyed our cruises just as much. In fact, even when in YC, we spend our evenings around the rest of the ship enjoying the entertainment on offer in the various lounges.

So we booked the Seaside for July. I realize it's not even built yet so know one has any reviews. However...all most all reviews of MSC ships are from people who did Yacht Club. We are doing Fantastica so what is that going to be like? Do you feel 2nd class if you're not in YC? I just couldn't afford it. Maybe next time if we like MSC .

I sailed twice on the 'Bella' experience and had a great time! I felt awesome for partaking in the fun for bargain prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You will be fine it's just the YC spoils you.

I have not sailed with MSC yet, but I have sailed 9 times on other lines (mostly Royal).

We have had inside, oceanview and balcony. When we where in the public areas, no one could tell what kind of cabin we had unless we told them. I can't say that I ever have felt any different when we sail in a balcony cabin compared to an inside cabin.

I understand that the YC give you "more" but to me some of the extra are stuff that I don't need or even want to have (a butler for example).

We had the Fantastica experience and loved it ! Personally we would feel uncomfortable in the Yacht Club level . I am not trying to dis anyone , it's just that we don't want anyone waiting on us or fussing over us.

With the Fantastica level we had a great cabin location , got to choose our dining time , had more than enough drink vouchers (although we did prepurchase the non alcoholic vouchers for smoothies and Gelato ), and our cabin steward was very attentive without being intrusive .

I only cruise in the YC so please remember the following if you are not a YC passenger;):

1. No direct eye contact with me. Please gaze down at the floor.
  2. Please do not show me your back if you are leaving the same room that I am in.
  3. Please move to the side if I'm walking by.

Actually, while the YC is very nice there are many things we really enjoy outside of the YC. It always seems that people are having a good time. Plus, outside the YC is more lively. Enjoy.

I only cruise in the YC so please remember the following if you are not a YC passenger;):

1. No direct eye contact with me. Please gaze down at the floor.
  2. Please do not show me your back if you are leaving the same room that I am in.
  3. Please move to the side if I'm walking by.

Actually, while the YC is very nice there are many things we really enjoy outside of the YC. It always seems that people are having a good time. Plus, outside the YC is more lively. Enjoy.

Bwhahahahhahaha,... thank you!!! I needed a good laugh as I clean up from the storm :p

What a coincidence. We sailed YC this year and just booked a NON YC on the Sinfonia. We want to sail in Europe and from Venice there simply is no YC. So I am having a bit of a concern, will I enjoy MSC as much without our butler ....

:p:p

We are taking the plunge regardless. I did say to my husband, that as much as I loved YC, I also thought that the Top Sail lounge at times was a bit TOO quiet for my taste ... my eldest daughter and I quite enjoyed mingling in the decks below where it was more lively. So we'll see. I'm very glad to read these positive experiences from other people!!

What a coincidence. We sailed YC this year and just booked a NON YC on the Sinfonia. We want to sail in Europe and from Venice there simply is no YC. So I am having a bit of a concern, will I enjoy MSC as much without our butler ....

:p:p

We are taking the plunge regardless. I did say to my husband, that as much as I loved YC, I also thought that the Top Sail lounge at times was a bit TOO quiet for my taste ... my eldest daughter and I quite enjoyed mingling in the decks below where it was more lively. So we'll see. I'm very glad to read these positive experiences from other people!!

You'll find quite a difference on Sinfonia - she's a very small ship in comparison. However, the plus side is that the atmosphere onboard is more intimate as a result.

I agree about the Top Sail Lounge. We'd never spend our evenings there (unless we befriend people like we did on Meraviglia in June when we had a couple of very enjoyable sessions with Norwegian Cruiser & friends :)).

Thanks Bea, wow we're so impressed, you really do have a lot of MSC experience!! Have you tried other cruise lines as well?

My first ever cruise was on Carnival back in 2000 - thought I'd never cruise again! Then got bitten by the bug after our 1st MSC cruise in November 2011. We tried Celebrity in January 2015 - never again!

We're heading off on our 17th MSC cruise in 12 days time for a 9 night on Magnifica - can't wait. :D

I've found that Aurea can sometimes work out better value than Fantastica due to the all-inclusive drinks package being included. Calculate the drinks package price and add it to the cost of a Fantastica booking and see how it compares with the Aurea price. We're actually getting our Aurea cabin €594 cheaper than a Fantastica cabin and purchasing the all-inclusive on our Divina sailing.

We checked for our upcoming cruise, and Aurea was not available on the balcony cabin? It came with Fabtastica automatically so we'll take that and take the all inclusive package.

I just read a couple of reviews and was worried about the comments about the food not being good on the sinfonia? We loved the food on the Divina, but perhaps it is different on YC..?

Bea, what is your experience?

We checked for our upcoming cruise, and Aurea was not available on the balcony cabin? It came with Fabtastica automatically so we'll take that and take the all inclusive package.

I just read a couple of reviews and was worried about the comments about the food not being good on the sinfonia? We loved the food on the Divina, but perhaps it is different on YC..?

Bea, what is your experience?

Food served in YC is of a higher standard, Lou. There's also a difference between what's served on Divina from other ships - it's more geared for the American palette. You'll find the Italian food more authentic than what passes for Italian in the US. Also, from what I've garnered on here from other people's comments, apparently there's more fish dishes served than on Divina.

I'm not the best person to ask about food offerings - I'm picky so my choices tend to be very limited. However, I never go hungry on MSC - quite the opposite!

I often chose the main fish dish (without the sides) as a starter if there's nothing else on the appetisers list that I'd eat. DH isn't picky and he enjoys the food most of the time. There are times when it's not great, though. We were a total of 35 days onboard Sinfonia last year - it wasn't going to be wonderful every day, I suppose! The freshly made bread at every meal and the desserts are consistently fantastic. And the crew are great in doing their best to ensure you enjoy yourself.

On Sinfonia, we were in an Aurea suite so we were in the dedicated "MyChoice" dining room. We were told that the menu there was different (and better) than the regular MDR. I never did check out the menus to compare, so I can't say how true that is.

We sailed on MSC Sinfonia in a stateroom with a view, and the fantastica experience. We had a "fantastic" time and the service was outstanding. At the time, fantastica was what we could afford, and there is no YC on MSC Sinfonia. The only enhancement I added was a beverage package, namely the Allegrissimo (as it was known at the time; it is now the basic beverages package, not the deluxe). That was perfect for our needs.

The food on Sinfonia was very much to our liking. Of course, you are on a European ship. Expect smaller portions than what restaurants serve up in North America. But... You're on a cruise ship, and if you enjoy a dish you can always order it again. However, in our experience, we were full as ticks once we went through starters, appetizers, main dish and desert.

You will have a great time with whatever experience you choose.

So Do you feel 2nd class if you're not in YC? I just couldn't afford it. Maybe next time if we like MSC .

We were going to upgrade but I'm glad we didn't. I found it to be a bit pretentious in that they have their own sun bathing area, their own restaurant, their own area in the theatre so it does feel like us none YCers are riff raff and not worthy to be mingling with them. Sorry if you are staunch YC but that's how it feels on the other side of the fence, but in answer to your question I didn't feel second class, I am in a class of my own ;):D:cool: