off the Royal Princess southern caribean melody cruise yesterday...Any questions ?

back2tampa

Great cruise, great people and all ports were good. The negative thing I personally didn't like was the elevator manners ( please wait for the next elevator and don't cram into a stuffed elevator people) To many scooters( I know some people need them and that is ok for them) but lots that just get them for the cruise and I watched a lady get ran over by one while going through the metal detector and almost hit me -They should have to show a medical excuse from a doctor or something because it is not fair to other passengers that paid the same or more their cruise. the only other thing I noticed was that Princess needs to move the buy one get one drink for $1 to a different area other than Crooners. I feel that that's a place lots of people go to relax and have a nice quite drink but they have almost ruined that with this .. Move it to the 5th floor where you have more area.( I buy the drink package so it didn't matter that much to me but lots of others were complaining) It was a great cruise and I will book again..Sorry if I offended anyone which I know I will get that one person that likes to flame me but oh well..

Hi there - glad to hear that St. Thomas is coming along. Have been wondering how the recovery has been going. Any updates on St. John? We're people going over there?

We're considering a Christmas cruise onboard the Royal in December. We sailed on her for Christmas in 2015 and had a wonderful cruise, including fantastic food. We're a little concerned though as the reviews haven't been good as of late. Just wondering if the same chefs are onboard again. Do you happen to know who the executive chef and the pastry chefs were?

Thank you kindly!

Glad you had a great cruise! We'll be boarding the Royal on Nov. 30, our first time on the bigger ship. We've always bought coffee cards, both for the specialty coffees and the fresh-brewed from the IC. We've read that the Royal has fresh-brewed everywhere instead of the old (gross) syrup based coffee. Can you confirm this? We have 2 cards remaining from last cruise with lots of unused punches, so maybe don't need to buy new ones.

Sorry if I offended anyone which I know I will get that one person that likes to flame me but oh well..

Allow me.

You are actually proposing Princess be allowed to discriminate against passengers with limited mobility simply because some people don't like them around? Oh and by the way a passenger limited to selecting one of the few handicapped accessible cabins most likely paid a freaking hell of lot more for their cruise than you did.

I have taken cruises and traveled around the world with family members of varying physical limitations. And their devices inconvenienced absolutely no one. And gained them no "unfair advantage" as you seemed to imply.

And they could all spell, capitalize and punctuate properly.

Allow me.

You are actually proposing Princess be allowed to discriminate against passengers with limited mobility simply because some people don't like them around? Oh and by the way a passenger limited to selecting one of the few handicapped accessible cabins most likely paid a freaking hell of lot more for their cruise than you did.

I have taken cruises and traveled around the world with family members of varying physical limitations. And their devices inconvenienced absolutely no one. And gained them no "unfair advantage" as you seemed to imply.

And they could all spell, capitalize and punctuate properly.

I agree with your sentiments but I think criticizing OP's spelling, etc., was unwarranted and severely unkind.

I agree with your sentiments but I think criticizing OP's spelling, etc., was unwarranted and severely unkind.

OP needs a dose of "look in the mirror (or at the screen in this case) before judging others". A huge dose.

I would have judged the "Southern Caribbean Melody" line for the simple slip it was had the content of the post not been so demeaning. Again, OPs criticism needs to start with self first.

OP needs a dose of "look in the mirror (or at the screen in this case) before judging others". A huge dose.

I would have judged the "Southern Caribbean Melody" line for the simple slip it was had the content of the post not been so demeaning. Again, OPs criticism needs to start with self first.

I understand where you're coming from. Just no need to criticize anyone's grammar, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts. But I am curious. How does one tell when someone using a mobility device needs it or just wants to be limited as to where they can go when they are on a cruise? You must be very perceptive. Should they have to wear a notarized sign stating they are disabled and are authorized to use a scooter?

Also, what is wrong with people having a cocktail in a bar, regardless of how much they paid the them? Are you saying that Crooners should only be for those who drink quietly?

I will be on the Royal for the first time next week. Did you try the Enclave? Did you see what beers they offered?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If can offer my thoughts on Enclave, having disembarked Nov 5. For us, worth every penny in that sailing. 7 straight sea days, busy port days - it was bliss to stroll in and relax in the hydro pool then steam away the aches and pains. Found a new low in seat saving there though - one "lovely" couple would set up camp on two of the tile lounge chairs in the raised sort of private area - complete with personal items on chair, about 8 towels each and their robes all on there. There are hooks for robes, chairs are - supposed to be - first come first served, etc. Granted the loungers wete never full up, so not an issue getting a lounger - which again, made the lounger saving absolute madness. They would set them up, pop into the pool for a solid half hour or more, hit the chair for maybe 5 minutes (not even one cycle of the jets in the pool which is 10 minutes) then be on their way. Took longer to set up their chairs then they spent relaxing in them most times. A new low on the chair saving game in my book.

Otherwise, we thoroughly enjoyed it, varied our times when we visited and never really crowded at all, plenty of space to relax. Worth every penny. Was $199 pp for the 15 nights.

Beers on offer included Heineken, Bud/Bud Light, Coors/Coors Light, Miller+Miller Lite, Stella, Grolsch, Newcastle, Blue Moon, Guinness, Red Stripe, Paulaner, and a couple others. Nothing very special..

I just got off the Royal yesterday and can say I never noticed any problem with scooters. I don't use the elevators very much........ prefer to use the stairs to help with weight gain;)

My only complaints and they really aren't complaints...lol

crazy small balconies

missed the Explorers lounge and aft pool.

Don't understand the concept of Princess Live. So impersonal

and very small. hard to make teams for trivia or game shows as it's "stadium seating" Only went once, and I usually enjoy all the crazy game shows.

I do agree that Crooners is to small for " Buy one get another for a $." If you didn't get there at least 20 min early you couldn't get a seat. They did allow you to buy drinks and take to either your cabin or another sitting area. Probably would be better in Vista Lounge. The evening one in Club 6 had more room.

Loved the buffet, a never ending variety of food. Always fresh and plentiful.

Loved the huge Piazza and all the music entertainment there. Always people up dancing.

We usually ended up closing down Crooners at night, the piano player AJ Clarke was fantastic.

The shows in Princess Theater were ok............. I've seen better on the Ruby and Star. I was glad to see them add a 6:15 show as it helped the overcrowding of the 8:15 show. Never had a problem with the later one at 10:15

Comedian AJ Jamal was hilarious. If you get a chance to see him make every effort to. Well worth it.

The ports were great. Would have loved more time at Princess Cays. Princess has done a lot of work there and it was very enjoyable.

I can hardly wait for the Royal to come to the West Coast in 2019. Traveling to Florida from Vancouver is a very long, tiring day:(

How was the food (mdr and buffet)?

The dinning room food for breakfast was good but dinner was about a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10..i only went to the buffet once and the crowd was bad and I didn't care for the selections and the pizza was awful . The trident grill was the best on all of Lido and the salad bar was good. Both specialty restaurants and balcony dinning was awesome

Edited by back2tampa

I will be on the Royal for the first time next week. Did you try the Enclave? Did you see what beers they offered?

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did the thermal package for $200 for 10 days and was great. Very relaxing

I just got off the Royal yesterday and can say I never noticed any problem with scooters. I don't use the elevators very much........ prefer to use the stairs to help with weight gain;)

My only complaints and they really aren't complaints...lol

crazy small balconies

missed the Explorers lounge and aft pool.

Don't understand the concept of Princess Live. So impersonal

and very small. hard to make teams for trivia or game shows as it's "stadium seating" Only went once, and I usually enjoy all the crazy game shows.

I do agree that Crooners is to small for " Buy one get another for a $." If you didn't get there at least 20 min early you couldn't get a seat. They did allow you to buy drinks and take to either your cabin or another sitting area. Probably would be better in Vista Lounge. The evening one in Club 6 had more room.

Loved the buffet, a never ending variety of food. Always fresh and plentiful.

Loved the huge Piazza and all the music entertainment there. Always people up dancing.

We usually ended up closing down Crooners at night, the piano player AJ Clarke was fantastic.

The shows in Princess Theater were ok............. I've seen better on the Ruby and Star. I was glad to see them add a 6:15 show as it helped the overcrowding of the 8:15 show. Never had a problem with the later one at 10:15

Comedian AJ Jamal was hilarious. If you get a chance to see him make every effort to. Well worth it.

The ports were great. Would have loved more time at Princess Cays. Princess has done a lot of work there and it was very enjoyable.

I can hardly wait for the Royal to come to the West Coast in 2019. Traveling to Florida from Vancouver is a very long, tiring day:(

Thanks for the help, I agree 100 % and I probably would not have even said anything about the scooters but the lady that got hit was right next to my wife that has bad feet due to diabetes and it could have really messed her up bad.

Glad you had a great cruise! We'll be boarding the Royal on Nov. 30, our first time on the bigger ship. We've always bought coffee cards, both for the specialty coffees and the fresh-brewed from the IC. We've read that the Royal has fresh-brewed everywhere instead of the old (gross) syrup based coffee. Can you confirm this? We have 2 cards remaining from last cruise with lots of unused punches, so maybe don't need to buy new ones.

We only had coffee from the international café and it was fresh brew