Anyone renewing their vows??

bulldogmom

Hello everyone,

I was on one of the other threads and love2vacation suggested I start a thread for those of us who are renewing our wedding vows, either on board the ship or off-board at a port. I'm one of those "off-board at a port" people. My husband and I will be renewing our wedding vows on February 21,2007 (yes, I plan ahead) which just happens to also be my birthday (we didn't try to work it out that way, it just did). I know love2vacation and her hubby are also renewing their wedding vows on the beach (I don't remember the specifics) but I think it would be fun to see what everyone else who are renewing are planning. I don't know about you guys but it is way more fun to plan a renewal than it is to plan the first wedding. My husband and I aren't worrying about what other people want at all this time, we are doing what WE want to do.

Here is a link to my dress: www.davidsbridal.com/bridal_gowns_detail.jsp?stid=1892&prodgroup=10

Here is a link to my shoes: www.davidsbridal.com/accessory_detail.jsp?stid=985&prodgroup=36

Here is a link to my flowers: www.2goaruba.com/options.htm (it is called the round mixed flowers bouquet)

The link to the planners who are planning my renewal is www.go2aruba.com and I would highly recommend them if anyone is considering Aruba, they have been VERY helpful to me so far.

As you can probably tell from above, we will be doing our vow renewal ceremony in Aruba. We opted not to do it onboard for several different reasons, first of all we couldn't get RCCL to get back to us with any info and while I know we have well over a year to get everything worked out I still dont' like the idea that they wouldn't get back to me. Secondly we just decided that we didn't like the idea of doing the renewal onboard because we thought it would be more romantic to do it at sunset on a beach so that is what we are doing. We are going to have a very simple ceremony with an exchanging of flowers ceremony and pictures and that is about it. We don't want anything overly fancy. As you can see from above my dress isn't that fancy, just something simple and my husband will probably wear khakis and maybe a linen type shirt or something. I think being barefoot on the beach will be really romantic, especially at sunset.

We will be on the 11 night southern Caribbean cruise (out of San Juan) on the Empress of the Seas that leaves February 12, 2007.

I would love to see who else is renewing their vows

I hope everyone has a wonderful day

Brooke

:) :confused: :) :)

But you know that already. :D

We are using usviwedding.com and will be renewing our vows on Hawksnest Beach in St. John USVI March 12th. This is in celebration of 25 years of marriage. (Also empty-Nester's - now it is our "time".) ;)

Plans are casual attire and barefoot on the beach, just the two of us, the minister and wedding planner to take a few photos and taxi us to the site. I am hoping for romantic and personal for the renewal, totally opposite from our wedding 25 years ago which was huge and formal!

Our cruise is RCCL Serenade of the Seas Southern Caribbean. I can't wait.

bulldogmom- your flowers look much like the ones I may chooose!

We are also trying to plan a vow renewal ceremony. My husband is a former crew member, and when we were married back in April, we had a civil ceremony with plans for something else later. With all the immigration stuff we had to go thru, and to get his working papers, this was the best solution. We have decided to plan it for our 1st anniversary, April 8. My family was hoping for a big wedding here, but we both would like something by a beach. Our first choice would be Hawksnest, but we are looking for a shorter cruise since we are planning a trip for late spring to visit my hubby's family. So, we are looking at a possible cruise on Enchantment of the Seas, and doing our vow renewal in Key West April 7. We can't find a short cruise that visits St Thomas/St John. Of course, we are tossing around the idea of shortening our trip to Europe and doing the week cruise. We really had wanted our vow renewal on our actual anniversary, but April 8 is a Sat, and most ships are departing that day. Any other suggestions out there?

love2vacation - I really like the flowers I have picked out because they are simple and colorful, it seems like you should have something colorful if you are having a ceremony on the beach doesn't it? Feel free to use the picture of my flowers if you want. LOL

LeeLee - I don't really know of any cruises that are short and go to St. Thomas/St. John although I haven't ever really looked. I'd look into different cruise lines, maybe different ones offer different destinations/lengths.

Also, I made a boo-boo on my first post, the website to the planners I'm using is www.2goaruba.com instead of the other way around! (Lord I'm losing my mind! LOL)

I hope everyone had a nice holiday

Brooke

I simply do not understand why someone would want to renew their vows.

Has the first one expired or become nol and void.:D

Why would one want to have two life sentences run connectively?:D

You think like most men.:rolleyes: This was not high priority for my husband but he loves me, so he is going with the flow. Now I think he is more into the whole idea. I just don't think he realizes we will now have two anniversaries!!! s

When my hubby and I got married we only knew each other for about 4 months, I moved to where he lived, we got married and we started a family right away - 3 kids in 5 years. We have spent the first 25 years concentrating on raising kids.

Now it is time for us. Since the kids are out of the house we are having so much fun......;) Also, our first wedding was so formal, it seemed like it was more for our families than for us. This time around the day is for us!! We are in a sort or second "honeymoon" period. :D

Well, I don't know if this counts but my fiance and myself will be renewing our vows on March 8th of 2006 in St. Thomas. We are going to be working with Cheryl Toner at 1-2-1 Weddings by Cheryl. www.viweddings.com I have read nothing but good things about her on this board and am looking forward to working with her. My fiance and myself plan on getting married at the courthouse about a week or two before our cruise and then doing a renewal of vows ceremony barefoot on the beach. We are doing this for two reasons. 1) IT'S CHEAPER! :D 2) No stress of paperwork, marriage licenses and what not. Plus, it's just going to be the two of us so we want something extremely simple. Just the officiant and maybe a photographer.

We are trying to decide what we want to do for a photographer. Since it's going to be a short and simple ceremony, just the two of us, do we get a photographer? I have a very nice digital camera that I could let someone use to photograph everything which would work out great for us. Or do we pay the money to have someone professional do it so we know it turns out? Any suggestions?

Yes, this definately counts!! LOL

My suggestion would be getting a professional since techincally this will be your "wedding" seeing as how you are just going to do the courthouse thing back home right beforehand. I would want those memories on film (taken by someone who knows what they are doing LOL) to look back on and remember the day. If you hire a professional photographer then chances are the pictures will turn out beautifully. I know when my husband and I got married everyone wanted a picture of us on our wedding day (hint, I put these in nice frames and gave them as Christmas gifts/favors - - we got married in December) I would have been afraid of the pictures if they weren't done profesionally.

My husband and I are renewing our vows because we are ready to start a new chapter in our lives, the "lets have kids" chapter LOL. We feel that making a renewed committment to each other is good before we commit to having and raising kids. It is mainly symbolic I guess but for the same reason that love2vacation is renewing hers to celebrate raising kids, we are celebrating getting ready to take that next step and have kids LOL. Everyone has their own reason I guess. Also my "real" wedding was huge and formal just like love2vacations as well. We had too many opinions in the pot at that time, going to the beach would have been my first choice back then as well.

Good luck on your wedding plans, chime in with what you might wear, what flowers you might carry etc.....

:) :) :) :)

Yes, this definately counts!! LOL

My suggestion would be getting a professional since techincally this will be your "wedding" seeing as how you are just going to do the courthouse thing back home right beforehand. I would want those memories on film (taken by someone who knows what they are doing LOL) to look back on and remember the day. If you hire a professional photographer then chances are the pictures will turn out beautifully. I know when my husband and I got married everyone wanted a picture of us on our wedding day (hint, I put these in nice frames and gave them as Christmas gifts/favors - - we got married in December) I would have been afraid of the pictures if they weren't done profesionally.

My husband and I are renewing our vows because we are ready to start a new chapter in our lives, the "lets have kids" chapter LOL. We feel that making a renewed committment to each other is good before we commit to having and raising kids. It is mainly symbolic I guess but for the same reason that love2vacation is renewing hers to celebrate raising kids, we are celebrating getting ready to take that next step and have kids LOL. Everyone has their own reason I guess. Also my "real" wedding was huge and formal just like love2vacations as well. We had too many opinions in the pot at that time, going to the beach would have been my first choice back then as well.

Good luck on your wedding plans, chime in with what you might wear, what flowers you might carry etc.....

Yeah, the more I think about it the more I want to have a professional photographer do it. Just to make sure it's done right. Thanks for the tips.

Let's see, what am I going to wear. Probably, linen pants and a white linen shirt. I'm sure my fiance will be wearing a nice dress of some kind and I have no idea what flowers SHE will be holding. :D I'm a guy gosh darnit! LOL ;)

I have to say I am impressed. A guy actually chiming in on something to do with the wedding?! Jasondre, I am totally blown away! LOL (and I'm not making fun of you either) My husband is like "I don't care, whatever you want" on every single part of everything. For our real wedding he didn't help with one thing at all and now for our vow renewal I did get him to put in that he would like for it to be in Aruba but that is about it. LOL Good for you, your fiance is a lucky gal.

My husband is going to wear the linen pants/shirt thing too, I think that is a popular option for guys when you are doing it on the beach.

I'm glad you have decided on the profesional photographer, I think you will be more than pleased if that is your final choice, I'm no good at having my picture taken anyways so all the profesional help I can get is warranted. Plus like I said these pictures are all you will have to show your family and friends back home what your wedding was like and that really matters.

I wish you all the luck in the world and good luck with the rest of your planning.

:) :)

I am thinking about these flowers. Just not sure if they will allow me to take them back on the ship.

These flowers are really pretty and they would match with your dress really well, the colors seem almost the same. I didn't even think about them not letting you back on the ship with them, geez, just one more thing for me to worry about, maybe I should post a new question and see what everyone else thinks. I'd hate to spend all that money for a bouquet and then not even be able to keep it for the remainder of the trip you know??

I have to say I am impressed. A guy actually chiming in on something to do with the wedding?! Jasondre, I am totally blown away! LOL (and I'm not making fun of you either) My husband is like "I don't care, whatever you want" on every single part of everything. For our real wedding he didn't help with one thing at all and now for our vow renewal I did get him to put in that he would like for it to be in Aruba but that is about it. LOL Good for you, your fiance is a lucky gal.

My husband is going to wear the linen pants/shirt thing too, I think that is a popular option for guys when you are doing it on the beach.

I'm glad you have decided on the profesional photographer, I think you will be more than pleased if that is your final choice, I'm no good at having my picture taken anyways so all the profesional help I can get is warranted. Plus like I said these pictures are all you will have to show your family and friends back home what your wedding was like and that really matters.

I wish you all the luck in the world and good luck with the rest of your planning.

:) :)

Yeah, I guess I might be one of the few romantic guys around yet! LOL Sometimes I think I want this beach wedding more than she does! :D I just look at it this way, I plan on only getting married once and that's it. Obvioulsy, things can happen, but if I only plan on doing it once I want it to be perfect. Or as close to perfect as I can make it! I hope that all of your planning for your renewal goes off without a hitch. And that you are big time selfish about what you and your hubby want. Afterall, it's your day and all about you guys. I've always had the thought that if someone doesn't like what i'm doing for MY DAY, screw 'em! LOL It's not about other, it's about the two of you.

And about the linen pants and linen shirt, if your husband doesn't have his stuff yet this is a website that I am looking to buy from. hope it helps!

http://www.islandimporter.com

Thanks Jasondre for the website, I haven't even begun to think about what my hubby will wear, I was thinking probably the linen pant/shirt thing though, of course whatever I decide he will wear.

Good luck on your planning too, if I could offer anyone advice on anything it would be to do what you the couple want and not what everyone else wants. I mean, don't get me wrong, our "real" wedding was wonderful, everything a story book princess could ever want, the big dress, all the bridesmaids/groomsmen, a huge cake and reception etc..... but I would have much rather skipped all that and just had a simple ceremony on the beach (for like 1/8 of the cost too LOL) and spend the rest of that money on my honeymoon. Of course that is what I want, not everyone wants that, a lot of women want to be princess for a day and that just isn't my cup of tea!

Good luck again and happy sailing, have you decided on a wedding spot yet?

-Brooke

:)

My husband and I are renewing our vows for our 25th anniversary next April on the Star Princess.My question is, what, if anything, are you exchanging this time around? Are you exchanging rings again, flowers, same rings being blessed again and exchanged? I was just wondering about that aspect of it? Any ideas?Jaxson

Thanks Jasondre for the website, I haven't even begun to think about what my hubby will wear, I was thinking probably the linen pant/shirt thing though, of course whatever I decide he will wear.

Good luck on your planning too, if I could offer anyone advice on anything it would be to do what you the couple want and not what everyone else wants. I mean, don't get me wrong, our "real" wedding was wonderful, everything a story book princess could ever want, the big dress, all the bridesmaids/groomsmen, a huge cake and reception etc..... but I would have much rather skipped all that and just had a simple ceremony on the beach (for like 1/8 of the cost too LOL) and spend the rest of that money on my honeymoon. Of course that is what I want, not everyone wants that, a lot of women want to be princess for a day and that just isn't my cup of tea!

Good luck again and happy sailing, have you decided on a wedding spot yet?

-Brooke

Well, we did decide on St. Thomas but we don't know where in St. Thomas yet. I'll let ya know when we do though!

My husband and I are renewing our vows for our 25th anniversary next April on the Star Princess.My question is, what, if anything, are you exchanging this time around? Are you exchanging rings again, flowers, same rings being blessed again and exchanged? I was just wondering about that aspect of it? Any ideas?Jaxson

Hi Jaxson,

My husband and I haven't really decided on what we are going to do during the ceremony, we will probably not exchange anything honestly. Most vow renewal ceremonies that I have been to have some special touch to them though whether it be re-exchanging rings or maybe new gifts (like if my hubby gave me an anniversary band or something that would be totally okay with me LOL) I think what my husband and I have decided to do is called a flower ceremony, I had never actually heard of it before I talked with the coordinator in Aruba and it sounds like a good idea to me. I think with the vow renewal ceremony as opposed to the wedding gives you a lot of room to use your imagination and make the ceremony yours. I think in a renewal ceremony the ceremony itself is as much a symbol as the rings in the original wedding. I think the best thing to do would be creative, do something that your significant other will never forget. Of course a nice piece of jewelry usually makes the ladies swoon but it isn't always necessary with a little creativity. A vow renewal ceremony presents you with unlimited ideas really since you are restrained with the laws and rules that an ordinary wedding ceremony has.

Here are a few websites that might start you in the right direction:

www.idotaketwo.com

I wish you all the luck and have a wonderful ceremony!

-Brooke

Dear Brooke, Thank you so much for the link to the web site, I found a few great ideas there! I just didn't know really where to start and you helped me greatly, thanks again! I know anywhere that my wonderful Husband and I are together, is a celebration in itself! Take care, Jaxson:)

Brooke,

Thanks for the site. We had contemplated just doing the renewal ourselves but decided it was too much pressure and I had looked at the site for vow ideas. We are meeting with the minister before the ceremony and he will tailor the vows to fit our needs.

We are going to do the ring thing as we had to have DH ring cut off this last year and instead of adding more gold again, we ordered a new ring. I also have an anniversary band picked out. This renewal will give us an opportunity to exchange these new rings with a minister to give a blessing.

You can be pretty creative with the vow renewal thing- it is really a lot of fun.

I am hoping that there will be paintings of the vow renewal beach site around at the art stores, so I can purchase one and bring it home to put in our bedroom. If not I hope to take some nice photos and I can always have them enlarged and framed. It will be a good remembrance.:D

Best wishes everyone on your plans. Let's keep the ideas flowing, it helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

My hubby and I are going to renew our vows May 25, 2007 on the NCL ship. I actually broke my vows to him once and I owe it to him to renew my love to him once and forever. This is going to be a special moment for me. And besides, we had a civil ceremony with only 10 people present. Now, I would like close family and friends to attend our Reaffirmation 5/2007.

That's my reasons for vows renewal.:o

Everyone has different reasons for renewing their vows and all of them are good reasons. Like I said I had the whole frou-frou thing the first time around and there were too many opinions in the mix then, this time I only have to worry about what my husband and I want, no one else.

Keep us posted on what you find out. I know you said on one of the other threads that you weren't able to get the cruise booked because they don't have the prices out for May '07 but it will come soon enough. We are leaving in February of 07 and the prices have been out for about a month now so yours should be out any old day. Where is your cruise going??

Good luck and happy planning.

• 2 weeks later...

My "Santa" gifted me with a beautiful:D :D :D anniversary band. It is so awesome- 5 huge diamonds. A great gift for 25 years of wedded bliss. (It is also for my 50th birthday, too.)

We will definitely do a new ring exchange in our renewal ceremony.

Hard to believe it is only a couple months away.

Thanks to love to vacation, I came over here from another thread. We are doing our ceremony on the ship. So!!! hopefully it will be very nice. We talked about on shore, but we had a budget to look after, since we are taking our 4 girls with us. Does anyone know what extras RCI does? I think that the real important thing to remember to us is that we are doing something totally out of the box for the both of us! Does the Captain do the ceremony? I tried to get more info out of the reservationist at Rci, but all they could tell me is that we will meet with the coordinator once we board the ship. It still is a little warry about not knowing the unknown. Any advice, hints, someone who has gone through this with RCI would be greatly appreciated.

Robin