Rules and Tips New Cruisers Should be Aware of

monster_like

Read EVERYTHING on the website of the cruise line or lines you are considering. There is a wealth of information there and many of the questions asked here can be answered by reading the website. It may not always be obvious where the info is, Go to the bottom of the home pages and click on the categories there. Lots of good stuff. EM

Sit down and talk with a reputable travel agent. Understand what you are booking, at what rate, what's refundable if you have to cancel, what changes can be made (names, number of people, dates, etc.)

Get recommendations for what line best fits what kind of cruise you want.

Once you are comfortable with making a booking read the faqs for the cruise line.

Then you'll have specific questions to discuss.

Cruising is great!

Read this board. And the cruise line website. Read the sticky posts at the very top. Those tend to be the most important for new cruisers.

I don't find the "go talk to a 'reputable travel agent'" advice to be especially helpful. How in the world is a newbie supposed to even know who's a reputable agent? How are they supposed to find one? You've got tons of experts that know far more than the overwhelming majority of travel agents right here on this board.

Rules and tips are very cruise line and, in some cases, even ship dependent. As others have said, skim through posts on Cruise Critic for the cruise line you're interested in, including the 'sticky notes' at the top of the page. You can also use the 'search' feature to find posts on specific ships within the cruise line board.

Also check Cruise Critic reviews - but remember to read as many as possible about a specific ship or itinerary and look at the most common themes/comments, usually ignoring those few extreme positive or negative reviews.

There are two things new cruisers need to know and they apply to every cruise line and every ship. If you don't have the proper identification with you, you are not getting on the ship. And if you don't show up on time, the ship will leave without you.

It's hard to predict if motion sickness will affect you. If you don't get seasick on small boats, you probably won't have a problem on a ship. However, if it's VERY rough, even seasoned crew may get sick! The ship can provide meds for relief!

If I haven't been in a car for a week or so, I will get sick most of the times. Perhaps this could be because I am newly pregnant, however, I got this even before that. Which meds will you recommend, I get that the crew will provide me some, but I want to bring my own just in case? Also, if the cruise I choose is an international one, can you guys suggest some good translation apps that I can use?

If I haven't been in a car for a week or so, I will get sick most of the times. Perhaps this could be because I am newly pregnant, however, I got this even before that. Which meds will you recommend, I get that the crew will provide me some, but I want to bring my own just in case? Also, if the cruise I choose is an international one, can you guys suggest some good translation apps that I can use?

If you are pregnant, your doctor should be the one to be suggesting meds, not people you don't know. That is crazy!!

Have traveled extensively for 30+ years, including 21 cruises. Have never needed to use any translation apps. First, English is commonly used in virtually all travel situations, and generally around the world. Yes, I do some reading and research for common travel words if I am doing a land trip. I can't recommend any app, because I have never needed one.

Where are you going? By the way, essentially every cruise is an international one. I can only think of one or two exceptions...NCL in Hawaii, for example.

Find out what you are NOT allowed to bring on board. For most cruise lines this includes irons, kettles, any electrical appliance that could cause a fire hazard. Some cruise lines allow extension leads, some do not. Some let you bring bottles of water or wine on, some don't. Check your cruise line website and FAQs and there should be a list. If they find anything you shouldn't have, your luggage will take a trip to the 'naughty room' which isn't the best way to start a cruise!

As mentioned above, ensuring you are back on the ship on time when in port is essential. The ship will not wait for you if you are late. The 'all aboard' time is usually 30 minutes before departure, but try not to cut it so fine. We always aim for an hour before. Make sure you check if the ship time is the same as local time or if there is a difference, and always go off ship time for all aboard.

Note, you have read up on the policies regarding being pregnant and cruising right?

Typically, the lower you are on the ship and closer to the center, the less motion you feel. But on our first cruise a couple years ago, my son and I experienced the opposite. We were perfectly fine on the higher decks to start out, but when we sat down to eat dinner in the dining room the first night on deck 3, middle of the ship, both of us started feeling nauseous. Not bad, but noticeable. We each took one motion sickness pill after supper and were fine the rest of the cruise (5 day), didn't need to take any more. We used Bonine, but since you're pregnant, you should probably consult your doctor first.

Tip: When outside on deck, don't spit into the wind. ;p But seriously, use the cruise critic boards to its fullest extent. A lot of great info here. So much so that there's a very good chance any questions you have are already here somewhere, but if you can't find the answers you're looking for, just ask.

Okay, I will go through all the info here!

However, how can I test myself whether I will have seasickness or not, since it will be my first time?

I would at least plan for the possibility of mild motion sickness. We have sailed, raced, and spent hundreds of rough nights on 25’-40’ sailboats pitching and hobby-horsing, and the motion hadn’t botherd me in years. We’ve been on cruise ships in high winds and rough seas, no problem. Then it got me on the NCL Jewel heading from Houston to Cozumel a few years ago. Seas and winds were not rough at all. Ginger and fresh air helped until I got some dramamine in Coz. We never say never anymore.

Read this board. And the cruise line website. Read the sticky posts at the very top. Those tend to be the most important for new cruisers.

I don't find the "go talk to a 'reputable travel agent'" advice to be especially helpful. How in the world is a newbie supposed to even know who's a reputable agent? How are they supposed to find one? You've got tons of experts that know far more than the overwhelming majority of travel agents right here on this board.

Here's a suggestion: ask your friends, family, co-workers. You may be surprised by the number of people you know who have been on a cruise. Ask who helped them answer their questions and book their cruise, and if they got good advice and service.

My suggestions:

• Check out the articles at https://www.cruisecritic.com/ftc/ .
  • Make sure that you have a passport book. Be aware that if your cruise starts or ends in the six month period prior to your passport expiration, you may not be admitted on board ship.
  • Keep your passport with your when you check in. Do not put your passport or important documents in your luggage.
  • If you are flying in to the port, it is highly advised that you fly in one day before to cover unforseen delays.
  • Make sure you know how to put your phone in airplane mode to avoid any surprise cellular charges. Check with your provided about out-of-country calling plans.
  • If you have a smartphone, pre-download the maps to the area that you want to visit. Google Maps has a offline mode where you can pre-download maps. When you disembark the ship, tap the blue dot to set a "parking space" so you know where to get back to the ship.
  • Be aware of what time you have to return to your ship. If they announce the ship time for return is 6 PM, be back no later that 5:30 PM. You do not want to be featured on the Pier Runners channel on YouTube.
  • Have fun!

Edited by Z'Loth

There are two things new cruisers need to know and they apply to every cruise line and every ship. If you don't have the proper identification with you, you are not getting on the ship. And if you don't show up on time, the ship will leave without you.

These are kinda the two non-negotiables I can think of. I obsess over taking the ID with us, because I know our vacation ain't happening if we mess this up. And yes, do make sure you get back to the ship on time when you get off. It's easy (and if you're using a private tour guide or company, they will ask you like every hour to confirm when you're supposed to get back. I've NEVER had one cut it close). Yet, people always mess up both of these...so it's important to at least give it some thought.

It's been about 6 years since we booked our first cruise, and it was a 10 Day Easter Med, so it was logistically more complicated. I spent LOTS of time reading stuff on cruise critic and on the cruise line website. That gave me LOTS of info, and then when I finally knew enough, I was able to ask specific questions. And folks were great about answering. (There are always a few snarky comments too...especially if you ask about dress codes or tipping. But don't be put off...many of these folks have spent months and months at sea, and they have a pretty good idea of what they're talking about. Imagine trying to book your first cruise 30 years ago, when there really wasn't a web to go to!)

Don't book your first cruise on a top of the line fancy Mega ship with all the bells and whistles. If you do , all your subsequent cruises will have a hard time living up to that first one.

If you start on a moderate mid size ship you will still love it and can still look forward to that top of the line fancy Mega ship.