Azores Car Rental-Horta and Ponta Delgada

WisRiver

We will be on the Koningsdam transatlantic in April 2018. We will be stopping in Horta and Ponta Delgada, Azores. Last year we did a tour of Ponta Delgada, but this year we want to explore on our own with a rental car. It will be hard to get lost if we keep the ocean to our right and the mountains to our left. Does anyone have experience with rental car companies in either port?

• 2 weeks later...

WisRiver,

In hindsight, I rightfully concluded getting a Driver with a car and not a Rental at San Miguel was the right choice. Most places I rent a car or motorcycle. Coupla reasons going w/driver and car worked best: The $$Price was right compared to if I woulda rented a Car. I woulda gotten lost... as he took us up into the highlands where buses couldn't go, and it DID get foggy. He spoke the local language while I got to loaf and gawk while he drove and knew where to stop. Roads were much twistier than Appalachia, Ireland etc. Other couple from our HAL ship did rent a car and didn't see near as much. Gary Travassos of Azoreantours was the name, well known.