say it ain't so - prime rib is gone now too.

CruisinHarvey

I'm on the Star right now (14 Day Panama Canal cruise) and we had Prime Rib in the buffet on 2 nights that I know of. Might have even been more, that I just missed. Never saw it at O'Sheenans, but that doesn't mean they didn't have it.

Will be on Star next month. Planning my specialty dinners and do not want to miss prime rib night. Would much appreciate if you can advise which was prime rib night.

Thanks

Prime rib as served on the Breakaway in 2015, food opinions are subjective - judge for yourself ...

IMG20150322_1928.jpg?dl=0

Breakaway again - just a little over a month ago - again, edible ... just like before, after trimming away the excess fat & what not.

1062dc51b4497fd2e9ecfbfe536a4d7c.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Correct. We had drinks here nightly. No sign of any "specials".

There was prime rib in the MDR. It was a mediocre cut of meat and overcooked.

As for O'Sheehans, I guess it's all relative to the standard and quality of food that one is used to that defines what "par" even is. I don't consider frozen processed fries and pre-battered frozen Captain Highliner triangular fish fingers as "above par" because the pubs we are used to serve fresh cut fries and fresh caught and battered fish... so for us O'Sheehan's would be "sub par". The "artichoke dip" was cream of mushroom soup with fake processed parmesan on top... the "nachos" had some kind of plastic orange sauce with zero resemblance to actual cheddar or any type of cheese for that matter... Caesar salad, again with fake parmesan vs the real thing. We don't eat anything frozen or processed during snack or meal time at home, so why would we want to on our cruise?

No frozen or processed ever? I️ wonder how “fresh” the meat or seafood is in most cruise ship restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct. We had drinks here nightly. No sign of any "specials".

There was prime rib in the MDR. It was a mediocre cut of meat and overcooked.

As for O'Sheehans, I guess it's all relative to the standard and quality of food that one is used to that defines what "par" even is. I don't consider frozen processed fries and pre-battered frozen Captain Highliner triangular fish fingers as "above par" because the pubs we are used to serve fresh cut fries and fresh caught and battered fish... so for us O'Sheehan's would be "sub par". The "artichoke dip" was cream of mushroom soup with fake processed parmesan on top... the "nachos" had some kind of plastic orange sauce with zero resemblance to actual cheddar or any type of cheese for that matter... Caesar salad, again with fake parmesan vs the real thing. We don't eat anything frozen or processed during snack or meal time at home, so why would we want to on our cruise?

well I guess we all have our own ideas: As for the quality of the prime rib, no I would not expect it to be top of the line. You are not talking about $50 a person like you might pay at Ruth Chris for instance.

As for nightly specials being advertised, it must depend on the ship. They were always posted at each table on the Pearl when we sailed her less than a month ago.

As I said, the food at O'Sheenhans is just what one should expect, fast food diner quality, not gourmet or even close. For what one would expect at a diner of pub type of restaurant it is very much up to par.

I guess I should also add, at this point and then just forget it, we have traveled all over the world, lived in San Francisco, Los Angeles and the DC area. We do know quality food, not to mention my degree is in Foods and Nutrition and my passsion is gourmet cooking. :rolleyes:

We were on the Dawn this past week. No prime rib at osheahans and the rest of the food in the pub wasn’t edible.
They named the pub in honor of a former NCL executive. If it is as bad as some say it is, maybe he wants his name off of it now :confused:

I've been sailing almost non-stop for over 2 months now (Dawn, Epic, Star) and have dined at O'Sheenans probably over 15 times and I've always found the food to be quite good for what it is.

Onboard the Star right now and tonight is Spare Rib Night. Haven't done that one yet. Going to give it a try.

IMG_20171213_084814962-L.jpg

I've read 2 reviews from the last couple of weeks, one from the Jade and one from the Getaway. Both say the same thing. Did they really get rid of prime rib nights in O'Sheehans?

Still on the Pearl for our current b2b! 11/26--12/14

well I guess we all have our own ideas: As for the quality of the prime rib, no I would not expect it to be top of the line. You are not talking about $50 a person like you might pay at Ruth Chris for instance.

As for nightly specials being advertised, it must depend on the ship. They were always posted at each table on the Pearl when we sailed her less than a month ago.

As I said, the food at O'Sheenhans is just what one should expect, fast food diner quality, not gourmet or even close. For what one would expect at a diner of pub type of restaurant it is very much up to par.

I guess I should also add, at this point and then just forget it, we have traveled all over the world, lived in San Francisco, Los Angeles and the DC area. We do know quality food, not to mention my degree is in Foods and Nutrition and my passsion is gourmet cooking. :rolleyes:

I find you feeling the need to qualify yourself a bit silly... I don't think I said anything so strange or shocking that you need to brag about yourself... If you are allowed to express your opinion about why you like O'Sheehan's, I'm allowed to express the perfectly valid reasons why I don't, and I don't feel the need to list my qualifications and degrees in order to do so.

Secondly, nowhere did I say I was expecting O'Sheehan's to be gourmet. I don't think anything on NCL would be considered such. We kept our expectations low, and were still disappointed. Not everybody likes the same things. It's called balance.

People likely differ in their definition of what pub food is or should be, and not everybody who dislikes O'Sheehan's fails to "get" the concept, as you imply. If you like it there, awesome for you! We don't. The six persons in our party all agreed that the food at O'Sheehan's, or at least the menu items we tried, were not edible and not something any of us would ever order again or recommend to others. Just passing our opinions along just like everyone else in hopes that it may be helpful to like-minded individuals. Clean eating is a fairly large movement and most people we know avoid frozen and process foods. It's not a new concept. Pub food and fast food can still be REAL food. Anyways... Our point to the OP was, don't be too sad if prime rib night at O'Sheehan's is gone because in our opinion we didn't find the prime rib good anyways, and if they still want it, on our recent cruise they served it in the MDR and the buffet.

Man, take a chill pill. To say the food at O'Sheehan's was not edible is unfair. Maybe by your standards the food wasn't very good but most people enjoy the casual pub fare and atmosphere. I think you need to look for a more upscale cruise line that serves caviar instead of chicken wings.

I find you feeling the need to qualify yourself a bit silly... I don't think I said anything so strange or shocking that you need to brag about yourself... If you are allowed to express your opinion about why you like O'Sheehan's, I'm allowed to express the perfectly valid reasons why I don't, and I don't feel the need to list my qualifications and degrees in order to do so.

Secondly, nowhere did I say I was expecting O'Sheehan's to be gourmet. I don't think anything on NCL would be considered such. We kept our expectations low, and were still disappointed. Not everybody likes the same things. It's called balance.

People likely differ in their definition of what pub food is or should be, and not everybody who dislikes O'Sheehan's fails to "get" the concept, as you imply. If you like it there, awesome for you! We don't. The six persons in our party all agreed that the food at O'Sheehan's, or at least the menu items we tried, were not edible and not something any of us would ever order again or recommend to others. Just passing our opinions along just like everyone else in hopes that it may be helpful to like-minded individuals. Clean eating is a fairly large movement and most people we know avoid frozen and process foods. It's not a new concept. Pub food and fast food can still be REAL food. Anyways... Our point to the OP was, don't be too sad if prime rib night at O'Sheehan's is gone because in our opinion we didn't find the prime rib good anyways, and if they still want it, on our recent cruise they served it in the MDR and the buffet.

I am sorry if I misunderstood your comments, but if you go back and read what you said and how you might understand where I was coming from. I will also add, which I think you can agree, there are few ships that actually serve fresh fish. Where in Gods name would they get fresh fish on a daily basis?

From reading other posts I think it is easy to see you prefer another line. That is fine, there are so many cruise lines to choose from which is the way it should be, I just am puzzled as to why you find it necessary to tell us you only eat fresh fish and fresh cut fries. Oh well enough said on the topic, you and I will have to agree to disagree. I find the food good on NCL, as good as any other line we have cruised with the exception of HAL, you don't even seem to think the upscale restaurants are anything above mediocre. Again, I am sorry I misunderstood what you were saying. I guess it is not only what one says but how they say it that can make a difference.

No frozen or processed ever? I️ wonder how “fresh” the meat or seafood is in most cruise ship restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once watched "Dream Cruises," on the AWE channel. When in port, the chef on the featured ship disembarked to purchase fresh fish from local fishermen. Of course this was a smaller luxury cruise ship.

We never had a problem with the fish we had in NCL's MDRs or Specialty restaurants. It was well prepared and nicely presented. Just sayin'.

No, that makes me so sad to see. The poor little thing never had a chance to live.

I can only guess you prefer food which is no longer recognized as having previously lived. However, I choose to acknowledge reality.

(And if you are a not a meat eater, I respect you choice.)

I am sorry if I misunderstood your comments, but if you go back and read what you said and how you might understand where I was coming from. I will also add, which I think you can agree, there are few ships that actually serve fresh fish. Where in Gods name would they get fresh fish on a daily basis?

From reading other posts I think it is easy to see you prefer another line. That is fine, there are so many cruise lines to choose from which is the way it should be, I just am puzzled as to why you find it necessary to tell us you only eat fresh fish and fresh cut fries. Oh well enough said on the topic, you and I will have to agree to disagree. I find the food good on NCL, as good as any other line we have cruised with the exception of HAL, you don't even seem to think the upscale restaurants are anything above mediocre. Again, I am sorry I misunderstood what you were saying. I guess it is not only what one says but how they say it that can make a difference.

"Par" is a relative term. That's all I was saying. I don't quite understand where you're coming from because you're preaching your qualifications in nutrition and your love of gourmet food and at the same time trying to glorify frozen, processed fish and chips as "above par"... which is kind of a contradiction in terms, in my opinion. Yes, on a ship, of course some ingredients are hard to come by fresh. I just don't see how their frozen commercial alternatives become "above par" just because it's all that's available... But... You are free to enjoy any dish you choose, and I am free to not enjoy it. I, too, enjoy the atmosphere at O'Sheehan's for drinks and such but it doesn't mean the food is for everyone, and I just don't see why me stating my dislike of a food should be taken personally, or why people think it appropriate to vilify me as a snob for choosing, for example, a fresh potato over a frozen, processed, reconstituted one. Preferring fresh, real food does't make me weird, and choosing to eat the foods I like doesn't make me a snob, nor does it entitle or qualify others to pass judgement on me. People are always looking for reviews on vacation food, whether here or on Tripadvisor, and we honestly all just felt that overall, the food on the Dawn was lesser in quality than the food we eat every day at home, which is annoying as I think most people expect to be treated to better food than usual on their vacation, not worse! We were six people and are sharing our experience. Are all six of us delusional? No, but it just appears to me that not all opinions are welcome in this forum sometimes. I try and give good advice when I can, and in this case would advise choosing to dine elsewhere on the ship than O'Sheehan's. That's my take. And yes, I do find the food on RC a step up, but I wouldn't call it gourmet, either. And yes, we will try Celebrity or Oceania next, but not because we are snobs (or because we prefer caviar to chicken wings, as one poster so kindly put it), but because food is an important part of our vacation and we enjoy eating well, and why shouldn't we enjoy the food on our vacation? Life's too short.

"Par" is a relative term. And yes, I do find the food on RC a step up, but I wouldn't call it gourmet, either. And yes, we will try Celebrity or Oceania next, but not because we are snobs (or because we prefer caviar to chicken wings, as one poster so kindly put it), but because food is an important part of our vacation and we enjoy eating well, and why shouldn't we enjoy the food on our vacation? Life's too short.

Food is very subjective. Just got off of the Harmony, Divina and Escape last month. Yes, three in a row. We have cruised all three of these more than once. Our opinion on the food both in the MDRs and Specialty Restaurants (SRs) are rated as follows:

1. Escape - MDRs and SRs (very good and excellent selections in all the SRs.

2. Harmony - Wonderland fantastic experience (2 different cruises.)

3. Divina - MDR food good, but nothing special. SRs, even when free with Black Card, lowest of all three cruise lines/ships.

Cruised Celebrity Reflection last Feb 2017. MDR would rate as equal to Harmony. SRs totally overrated and over priced.

JMHO!!!