Mosquitos in the caribbean

Joey60

Sometimes there are stagnant pools at the back of some beaches - I would be wary of settling down close to those as some mosquitoes (I think from memory the Zika carrying mosquito for one) can be active in the daytime. Mostly mosquitoes are active early morning and evening when you're likely to be on board but worth taking that into account - also as janny says water trips especially into mango swamp type areas could carry a higher risk. We tend to be ultra cautious (I don't tend to get bitten but DH does) and have used Deet in the past particularly, say, on an Everglades excursion. You can check the risks in each country you're visiting. I believe that there is an Avon product which is well recommended and more pleasant to use than Deet which is smelly!

We once went for a quick swim on a quiet beach and just put our towels on the sand. DH was covered in sand fly bites in no time. Now we always get loungers and don't sit on the sand - just a thought if you're prone to being bitten.

My friends say the best way to avoid getting mosquito-bitten is to invite me along on outings. I attract every bug in the area. Since I won’t be on your cruise I recommend repellent just in case.

For myself, I carry a few of these - Bug X 12640 Insect Repellent Towelettes, 25-Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051OJ9DO - highly portable, one towelette can be used by at least two people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My daughter is a walking bug buffet, even here in the UK, and she finds Incognito very effective. Smells pleasantly of citronella and doesn't contain lots of nasty chemicals, easy to apply spray which works under or over sun cream.

Deet is very effective but smells awful.

Avon shower gel was very effective as is Lavender oil.

Does the incognito have a brand name and is it a spray or shower gel?.

Deet is very effective but smells awful.

Avon shower gel was very effective as is Lavender oil.

Does the incognito have a brand name and is it a spray or shower gel?.

Hi Grapau27, Incognito is the brand name and they do a whole range of products, here's the link to their shop https://www.lessmosquito.com/online-shop.html?protectsworldwide

Products also available on Amazon (usually cheaper than retail and you can get bundles of 2/3 sprays, or spray and shower gel, etc.), Holland & Barrett, Waitrose, etc. Personally can only vouch for the spray (I use it as well as DD, although I don't get bitten as much as she does), but I believe the other products are equally effective.

Hi Grapau27, Incognito is the brand name and they do a whole range of products, here's the link to their shop https://www.lessmosquito.com/online-shop.html?protectsworldwide

Products also available on Amazon (usually cheaper than retail and you can get bundles of 2/3 sprays, or spray and shower gel, etc.), Holland & Barrett, Waitrose, etc. Personally can only vouch for the spray (I use it as well as DD, although I don't get bitten as much as she does), but I believe the other products are equally effective.

Thanks for the reply.

There is a Holland &Barrett near us that we buy Manuka Honey from so i will call in and get some incognito.

Kindest Regards.

Graham.

Thanks for the reply.

There is a Holland &Barrett near us that we buy Manuka Honey from so i will call in and get some incognito.

Kindest Regards.

Graham.

I bought some incognito spray today from H&B and it smells a lot better than deet so looking forward to trying it out next month.

• 2 weeks later...