Recommendations on Full Face Snorkeling Mask

bren61

I am looking into purchasing full face snorkeling masks for Christmas and would like opinions on which brand would be the best. I see they have decent prices right now on VREEF and was wondering if anyone has used that brand and your thoughts?

You might want to look on Amazon and see what reviews they have for different brands.

One other thing to consider is whether or not the person you're buying if for uses corrective lenses. You can get masks with different diopter power to correct vision. This comes in handy for me.

• Like 1

Found this article : https://watchyourselves.com/best-full-face-snorkel-masks-reviews/

WE have "traditional" quality snorkeling masks and fins, purchased a few years ago.

"Just like a traditional snorkel mask, full face masks leak if it's not the correct size for your face. This is the most important thing when choosing a mask.

The size needs to be correct - and the company you purchase from should have a good returns policy in case you need to swap it for a different size."

I found it interesting that even though I wear glasses, I can see just fine under water with the mask, and of course, no glasses.

My thought...the issue is, living in PA, we are very selective about when to take them on vacation,

since they take up so much room in our flight luggage.

Edited by $hip$hape

Thank you! I do wear RX glasses, but do ok without them for snorkeling. We also drive to NY/NJ so space isn't that much of an issue either. I guess what I am looking for is advice from someone who has a full snorkel mask that can say, "hey, I have such and such brand and they are great". Anyone????

Thank you! I do wear RX glasses, but do ok without them for snorkeling. We also drive to NY/NJ so space isn't that much of an issue either. I guess what I am looking for is advice from someone who has a full snorkel mask that can say, "hey, I have such and such brand and they are great". Anyone????

Seems like it shouldn't be that hard to research on snorkeling/scuba type sites. I'm sure you'll get some feedback here but this probably isn't the appropriate forum for this question. This forum is more for NCL discussion.

Hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy your cruise..

• Like 1

I switched to the full face mask a year ago and love mine. Got it on Amazon about $50. Does not work with my glasses, I just wear daily contacts with mine. Nice having the snorkel tube centered as well and very wide view

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have an Octobermoon and I love it. Agree fit is important, but the sites give instructions on how to measure properly. I got mine on Amazon after reading the reviews and it was about $65 I think. It is very easy to breath in and the wide range of vision is fabulous. A gentleman on my last cruise excursion was an experienced snorkeler and he was crazy about it. He said he was going to get one as soon as he got home! I highly recommend.

I much prefer a real mask and snorkel combination. I get much better air flow through a regular snorkel and it is easier to dive to explore the bottom. Mask fit is always critical, and I always get excellent fit with a true mask. Have fun with it, but I wouldn't buy one of them.

Found this article : https://watchyourselves.com/best-full-face-snorkel-masks-reviews/

WE have "traditional" quality snorkeling masks and fins, purchased a few years ago.

"Just like a traditional snorkel mask, full face masks leak if it's not the correct size for your face. This is the most important thing when choosing a mask.

The size needs to be correct - and the company you purchase from should have a good returns policy in case you need to swap it for a different size."

I found it interesting that even though I wear glasses, I can see just fine under water with the mask, and of course, no glasses.

My thought...the issue is, living in PA, we are very selective about when to take them on vacation,

since they take up so much room in our flight luggage.

Yep, sizing is important. I borrowed my nephew's for a cruise once not knowing about the sizing issue. It leaked. I basically had to snorkel with a hand pressing the mask against my face to keep the seal. With the other hand holding a GoPro, it was quite difficult to swim. Especially when the waves started kicking up. Luckily I was wearing fins.

And yes, they take up a HUGE amount of luggage. Along with the fins. Not sure if it was worth the space it took up. I only used it once for about a couple of hours. Probably just should have rented.

We bought the full masks as did many in our group and it seemed that many said they felt like they weren’t getting enough airflow as a regular snorkel/mask. I was sick so didn’t snorkel but watched. We are selling our full masks because my husband felt he couldn’t breathe in it and is an avid snorkeler. He actually panicked and was brought back to boat, as did a few others, so I recommend the mask\snorkel tube and not the full. Just my observation.

• 2 years later...

We purchased full face masks, we tried them at the YMCA swimming pool and it was easy to breathe. We did several laps in the pool. (We were supposed to be on the Bliss, in the Bahamas this week using them ). It is a surface mask, not for diving, as the mask gets very tight on the face when going deep. Make sure you measure your face as directed so it fits correctly. 

Here is the Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/WildHorn-Outfitters-Seaview-180°-Snorkel/dp/B07F21MTZ5/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Wildhorn’s%2BSeaview%2B180°&qid=1587077218&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWTRCU0VIT0o0R0ZVJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDMwNzQ4M09FUExYS0lTQzMzWiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTAzMTYwMlRVOTdINkRVRFBLJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1&psc=1

There have been deaths with the full face masks and the inability to get them off.   I was on a snorkel boat in Hawaii this year,   who would not allow them.     For me,  a high quality regular mask is all I want.   I had a top run with a Mears and last summer finally replaced it after years of faithful service..   🙂    I use a Cressi currently.    Perfect for me.

But the bottom line is absolutely the fit,   so a dive shop will offer a better option.       

• Like 1