IF I COULD DO THIS AGAIN? - Mariner 1/4/2009 Tips,Observations,Places,Food,Links,More

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:13 PM.
San Francisco (up high below Twin Peaks Vista Point w/Bay-Downtown-Sunrise view),CA,USA. [SF native]
1,776 Posts
Joined Feb 2003
IF I COULD DO THIS AGAIN? - Mariner 1/4/2009 Tips,Observations,Places,Food,Links,More
The purpose of this thread is to document tips, observations, places, sights, attractions, food, restaurants, stores, shows, tours, helpful links, and any other information that might be helpful to Hornblowers (or others) interested in visiting or revisiting any locations along or near the original Around The Horn itinerary.
---
Here's just some questions that would be applicable to answer here:
  • What parts of the Around The Horn itinerary do you think you'd want return to?
  • What would you do differently?
  • What did you miss seeing that you'd want to see the next time?
  • Do you have any tips or observations learned from doing the Around The Horn?
  • Do you find any new helpful links, sources of information, visitor centers, other places that assisted you?
  • What sights, attractions, food, restaurants, stores, shows, and/or tours would you do again?
  • What places are worth seeing at least once?
  • What places would you not want to visit again?

For example:
For me, Arica and vicinity was so memorable that it's on my let's-go-there-again list. Among other reasons, I would go just to eat the local rotisserie chicken again (yes it was THAT good!), talk again to wonderful locals, explore nearby sights we didn't have a chance to see (such as petroglyphs in the desert), and DEFINITELY, next time, stay over to really enjoy the "Carnaval Andino con La Fuerza Del Sol" (http://es-es.facebook.com/pages/Carn...ol/22438896974) [which was just starting as we were leaving]!

However, there are certainly things we'd pass on the next time -- such as a specialty parmesan seafood dish we didn't like in Valparaiso. (Unlike some incredibly good food and an amazing marketplace we thrilled to in Santiago -- a city we definitely want to visit again!)

-- So, let's use this thread to document this Bucket List.
-- And let's entertain the thought of going again: We know that some of you want to do at least parts of this again! :-)
---

--- Hopefully, you, fellow Hornblowers, and other cruisers, may find the information here to be memory-stirring,
-----..interesting/fun/entertaining/insightful/inspirational to read,
-----..and/or especially, helpful in future cruise/travel planning.

---

--.. SEE ALSO THE FOLLOWING RELATED THREADS:
Some of you posting in this thread may find that some of your information could also be applicable to one of these threads.
---

-Roger-
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
ROGER_...+
_____________ ►►► [FYI to HORNBLOWERS: See active Thread *HERE* -- and entire Forum HERE.] ◄◄◄

Adventure of the Seas 9/30/17-10/7/17 ▬ 7 n. Southern Caribbean • San Juan r/t − ABC Islands & St Kitts[St Maarten] ___/__ Freedom of the Seas 4/15/17-4/23/17 ▬ 8 n. E.Carib • Ft Lauderdale r/t
Explorer 9/30/16-10/8/16 ▬ 8 n. Pacific Coastal • Seattle r/t − Mini- West Coast & Hornblower Reunion ___/__. Grand Princess 12/20/15-12/30/15 ▬ 10 d. Mexican Riviera • San Francisco r/t − Christmas
Jewel 9/26/15-10/3/15 ▬ 7 n. California Coastal Los Angeles r/t − West Coast Welcome Back -and- Hornblowers of the Americas Mini-Reunion!
Mariner 1/9/2011-1/16/2011 ▬ 7 n. Mexican Riviera Los Angeles r/t − West Coast Farewell -and- Hornblowers of the Americas Mini-Reunion! .
Roll -1 -2 -3
Mariner
1/4/09-2/19/09 ▬ 46 n. Westbound Around the Horn • Hornblowers of the Americas! • (Port Canaveral-Rio de Janeiro -B2B- Rio de Janeiro-Valparaiso -B2B- Valparaiso-Los Angeles)
Liberty 12/26/13-12/30/13 ▬ 4 n. W.Carib (Ft Lauderdale r/t - Cozumel)
Serenade 4/19/08-5/3/08 ▬ 14 n. Westbound Panama Canal (San Juan - San Francisco) List __/__ Monarch 10/10/08-10/13/08 ▬ 3 n. Baja Mexico: Last weekend in San Pedro! (Los Angeles r/t - Ensenada)
Navigator 4/14/07-4/26/07 ▬ 12 n. Eastbound Transatlantic (Miami - Southampton) __--B2B--__ Navigator 4/26/07-4/28/07 ▬ Paris (Le Havre) ___/___ Monarch 12/28/07-12/31/07 ▬ Baja Mexico
Navigator 3/15/03-3/22/03 ▬ E.Carib ___/___ Navigator 4/9/05-4/16/05 ▬ E.Carib ___/___ Queen Mary Hotel 12/29/05-12/30/05 ▬ Docked ___/___ CCL Paradise 12/30/05-1/2/06 ▬ Baja Mexico
Grand Junction Colorado
2,712 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by RSS from SF
The purpose of this thread is to document tips, observations, places, sights, attractions, food, restaurants, stores, shows, tours, helpful links, and any other information that might be helpful to Hornblowers (or others) interested in visiting or revisiting any locations along or near the original Around The Horn itinerary.
---

Here's just some questions that would be applicable to answer here:
  • What parts of the Around The Horn itinerary do you think you'd want return to?
  • What would you do differently?
  • What did you miss seeing that you'd want to see the next time?
  • Do you have any tips or observations learned from doing the Around The Horn?
  • Do you find any new helpful links, sources of information, visitor centers, other places that assisted you?
  • What sights, attractions, food, restaurants, stores, shows, and/or tours would you do again?
  • What places are worth seeing at least once?
  • What places would you not want to visit again?
For example:
For me, Arica and vicinity was so memorable that it's on my let's-go-there-again list. Among other reasons, I would go just to eat the local rotisserie chicken again (yes it was THAT good!), talk again to wonderful locals, explore nearby sights we didn't have a chance to see (such as petroglyphs in the desert), and DEFINITELY, next time, stay over to really enjoy the "Carnaval Andino con La Fuerza Del Sol" (http://es-es.facebook.com/pages/Carn...ol/22438896974) [which was just starting as we were leaving]!

However, there are certainly things we'd pass on the next time -- such as a specialty parmesan seafood dish we didn't like in Valparaiso. (Unlike some incredibly good food and an amazing marketplace we thrilled to in Santiago -- a city we definitely want to visit again!)
-- So, let's use this thread to document this Bucket List.
-- And let's entertain the thought of going again: We know that some of you want to do at least parts of this again! :-)
---

--- Hopefully, you, fellow Hornblowers, and other cruisers, may find the information here to be memory-stirring,
-----..interesting/fun/entertaining/insightful/inspirational to read,
-----..and/or especially, helpful in future cruise/travel planning.

---

--.. SEE ALSO THE FOLLOWING RELATED THREADS:
Some of you posting in this thread may find that some of your information could also be applicable to one of these threads.
---

-Roger-
Thanks Roger for doing this thread. Vicki and I would do the whole thing over. ALL of it.
It would be so sad to have some of our friends gone who were there last. I really miss them. REALLY . I can never think about this wonderful part of our lives without thinking about the wonderful people we were with.
Many years ago I spent a week on the Colorado River going down the Grand Canyon...BEST 7 days I ever spent in a row. BUT there is no way to repeat it. Another around the horn would be almost possible. We would do it.
Woody
Vicki
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
No matter where you go,there you are.
Victoria Harbour, ON
3,686 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
That was a great cruise. Also one of the most active roll calls we were ever on, none better since. Great group of people. It is definitely one we would love to do again. This was before I learned how to blog, so I didn't do one for this cruise, it would have been a great one to do.
Allan & Marlane