Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

Have seen reports of that occurring from west coast to Miami. Because of the time change and length of flights difficult to get to Miami and make the flight.

All flights to Europe and other foreign locations are red eyes. They are less expensive as well. These are some reasons many people arrive a day or two early.

Just checked ita matrix and earliest arrival for a very early departure is about 330 pm which sure you don’t want to chance missing ship so pretty sure a red eye is what it will be. Sorry about that. Perhaps you can deviate st this late date and get in early evening the day before.

The only non-stop is the AA flight that if on time gets in to Miami at 3:55PM so awfully late for the scheduled 5 PM departure and probably miss the ship. Check for yourself. matrix.itasoftware.com has all the flights on all the airlines, AA, UAL, and Delta.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're booked in Concierge so have 1 nt pre-cruise hotel. Hoping that makes a difference in departure time from LAX.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Forums mobile app

We're booked in Concierge so have 1 nt pre-cruise hotel. Hoping that makes a difference in departure time from LAX.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Forums mobile app

Aha Suzy, yes, that does make a difference. As you hadn't mentioned that before, that is a key difference in that you will be flying the day before your embarkation and don't need to deviate so no need for red eye. Still have the time difference and length of flight thus arrival in Miami will be late afternoon to early evening depending on LAX departure time. The non-stop leaves at 7:40 AM so perhaps Regent will put you on that but, past reporting makes a connection more likely.

Happy that you added that important piece of information which makes all the difference. Also good luck on your Business Class seats from your TA's information. Have a wonderful cruise.

Aha Suzy, yes, that does make a difference. As you hadn't mentioned that before, that is a key difference in that you will be flying the day before your embarkation and don't need to deviate so no need for red eye. Still have the time difference and length of flight thus arrival in Miami will be late afternoon to early evening depending on LAX departure time. The non-stop leaves at 7:40 AM so perhaps Regent will put you on that but, past reporting makes a connection more likely.

Happy that you added that important piece of information which makes all the difference. Also good luck on your Business Class seats from your TA's information. Have a wonderful cruise.

Sorry I neglected to add that very important detail. Appreciate your responses and help. Now to wait and see what cabin and flights we're assigned. Really looking forward to our 1st Regent cruise. :)

Sorry I neglected to add that very important detail. Appreciate your responses and help. Now to wait and see what cabin and flights we're assigned. Really looking forward to our 1st Regent cruise. :)

Really hope that you get a flight or flights that you are happy with. The one issue about not deviating is that many people on your cruise did deviate and therefore booked their air months ago. Since Regent contracts with the airlines are for a certain number of seats per flight, some flights will be sold out by the time Regent makes their assignments. In any case, Regent will book the best flights available.

• 2 weeks later...

Aloha All,

I perused through this thread but didn't find any associated responses that might assist me.

Has anyone had any experience with Regent issued UAL itineraries that cause it to prohibited from any chances of using miles to upgrade the seats?

My LW and I are scheduled to fly to Miami and opted for a deviation to ensure a UAL itinerary. After receipt and purchase of the tickets I called UAL MilagePlus and requested to be upgraded [or waitlisted...] to First Class.

After some initially promising discussions the agent returned to the phone to inform me that the Regent ticket [same record locator] was issued as a One-Way from HNL to MAI (two ticket numbers for 2 Pax) and then the return flights were similarly on two other ticket numbers returning to HNL. UAL MilagePlus states in that configuration they can't touch it or consider it for on an upgrade.

My TA contacted Regent Air who stated "That's how we charter flights" but I've never had this problem before. Mahalo Ahead of time.

The issue is probably the underlying fare rules of the ticket. Even though it might outwardly appear to be the same as a ticket bought directly from UA (same dates, times, flight numbers), it all depends on what "fare" your ticket from Regent s issued under.

Those "fares" vary from airline to airline, and also route to route. They are also variable dependent upon any negotiated rules between carrier and bulk purchaser.

Without access to the fare bucket identifier and the fare rules, it's hard to give some specific answers to your situation.

I will say, you have confused the issue by your statement "charter flights". For if you truly are on a charter, the regular fare rules go out the window, and any seating/upgrading decisions are the domain of the chartering party, not the airline. (And I doubt a charter from HNL to the mainland when there is plenty of regularly available lift.

A few years ago, we had Global status on United and encountered a similar situation. On a domestic leg we were booked in coach. We were usually placed first on the upgrade list if we were flying and we noticed that our names were not even on the screen for upgrade. I inquired with the gate agent and and he did not know why. He made a call and came back with a similar reply - the tickets were purchased on a special fare by Regent and not eligible for any upgrade. So I surmise that the ticket was a special fare (not a charter but a contractural rate) and the discounted fare was not eligible. That said, Flyertalker is more knowledgeable on these matters and I defer to his expertise.

A few years ago, we had Global status on United and encountered a similar situation.

Your experience and details are what I believe has happened with daetchief, but can't speak with absolute certainty. (But I would be willing to make a significant wager on it!!) The devil really is in the details when it comes to fare rules. Upgrade eligibility, routing rules, stopover and connection provisions, and most importantly, transferability provisions are all laid out in the fare rules. And without examining them, it's impossible to make a truly informed answer. But good guesses are available.

As you mentioned in your case, the negotiated fare contained a "no upgrades" provision. Doesn't matter what your status is, the rule prevails. And that's probably what is at work here.

That said, Flyertalker is more knowledgeable on these matters and I defer to his expertise.
Thanks, but you were spot on. No need to defer when you're on target.

I agree TC, and FlyerTalk is right on. I’ve been told many times that Regent’s contracted pricing with the carriers does not allow upgrades, period. If I wanted First or Business I had to take the credit and do our own air. Which we usually do, except when Business class is included in the fare for overseas. I’ll sometimes live with Coach for the domestic portion depending on distance, although it’s not our preference. I try to deviate when we can, to ensure we have as little domestic as possible and go directly intercontinental.

I agree TC, and FlyerTalk is right on. I’ve been told many times that Regent’s contracted pricing with the carriers does not allow upgrades, period..

Note that sometimes you MAY end up with a "published fare" ticket, rather than a "negotiated rate" (AKA bulk, consolidator, special). Consider this like winning the local charity raffle....possible but highly unlikely.

One clue might be a deviation request that results in a price on one carrier that is higher than other options. Though NOT a sure indicator, you might be in a situation where there was no negotiated space available with carrier XX, so the ticket price, while higher, MAY be a published fare that allows for upgrades.

Note: How many times did I say may or might or other such expressions of unknown? Yep - unless you can get access to the actual fare basis and the fare rules, you are in the dark. And should probably go with the assumption that I can't upgrade - and may just be pleasantly surprised to later find out you can. Rather than expecting you can upgrade and getting the big disappointment.

Unfortunately, without real transparency, the consumer of cruiseline-provided air is in the dark. Whether Regent or Seabourn or Crystal or Carnival....it's those hidden details that make it so maddeningly frustrating.

• 3 weeks later...
This is a rather unique question. While Regent will likely go for this, it always depends upon the airline. If it costs extra money to depart from a different airport, you likely will have to pay it.

You don't have to wait until the 270 day mark (which you can calculate by going to this site https://www.timeanddate.com/date/dateadd.html ) - simply call your TA or Regent Air and speak with them. Let us know what they say. This way you can plan your trip and will be ready to deviate at the 270 day mark.

Assume that you will be on the beautiful Explorer? We have done two Explorer transatlantic cruises with another booked next year. We are rather addicted to that ship:D

TC

We will be on the Explorer to Lisbon and very much looking forward to it. We now have our post cruise European holiday organised and Regent air booking with deviation in hand. The issue for us was how long after the ships arrival could we stay in Europe and remain covered by Regent for our return. Regent will allow return if it is within 30 days of disembarkation with payment of the deviation fee. We were also able to change the departure city from Lisbon to Vienna without any additional charges. Departure from Frankfurt on Lufthansa would have costed us an additional US$960 each.

TC

We will be on the Explorer to Lisbon and very much looking forward to it. We now have our post cruise European holiday organised and Regent air booking with deviation in hand. The issue for us was how long after the ships arrival could we stay in Europe and remain covered by Regent for our return. Regent will allow return if it is within 30 days of disembarkation with payment of the deviation fee. We were also able to change the departure city from Lisbon to Vienna without any additional charges. Departure from Frankfurt on Lufthansa would have costed us an additional US$960 each.

Hi -- how exciting to be taking an Explorer cruise (our next one isn't until net February).

I'm a little unsure about what you are asking. It sounds like you did well - not having to pay an additional amount of money when you depart from Frankfurt. The part when you mentioned how long you will remain covered is what I am unsure about. Covered for what? I am assuming (because I don't know for sure) that once you leave the ship you will be on your own in terms of transportation, etc. The one thing that you will have is the flight out of Frankfurt but you will be responsible for getting to the airport, etc.

Prior to starting this thread quite a while ago, I did not realize that you could depart from a different city. This is not something that we have done (yet). Another assumption is that if there is difficulty with Lufthansa and the flight is cancelled, Regent would assist you with getting another flight (but you would need to all Corporate in Miami).

Perhaps someone else has done with you are doing and can confirm my assumptions!

Have a great cruise!

We are using Regent's flight deviation in September to spend a few extra days in the San Francisco area after an Alaskan cruise. The cruise arrives in San Francisco, but we are returning home out of San Jose, as we will be staying in Sunnyvale to celebrate our grandson's first birthday. Originally, we were scheduled to depart from SFO, but there was so extra charge to leave from San Jose.

TC

useful to now the 30 day rule

As a point of clarification, the person who provided the 30 day rule contrary to a previous post, the deviation flight is from Vienna at no additional cost other than the deviation on an unnamed airline. The deviation thru Frankfort on Lufthansa would have cost $960 per person. Also, according to Regent T's and C's, Regent is not responsible for airline issues. That said, Regent has in the past taken responsibility for flight issues however they have stated that it is the customer's responsibility for including flights.

• 1 month later...

We are booked on the Seven Seas Mariner for the June 19 cruise from Seward to Vancouver . We are looking at the most manageable flights from Orlando . We found Delta Flights 1717 (leaves 7:00 am) to Seattle on and 2855 from Seattle to Anchorage (leaves at 11:45 am) arrives ANC at 2:26 pm .We have concierge room and leave on June 18 2019 . Our return from Vancouver is Delta 2898 (leaves at 1:05 pm to Salt Lake city --arrives at 4:30 pm and Delta 2817 --leaves Salt lake at 5:35 pm and arrives at Orlando at 11:52 pm . Do you have any better suggestions ? . Becknal

We are booked on the Seven Seas Mariner for the June 19 cruise from Seward to Vancouver . We are looking at the most manageable flights from Orlando . We found Delta Flights 1717 (leaves 7:00 am) to Seattle on and 2855 from Seattle to Anchorage (leaves at 11:45 am) arrives ANC at 2:26 pm .We have concierge room and leave on June 18 2019 . Our return from Vancouver is Delta 2898 (leaves at 1:05 pm to Salt Lake city --arrives at 4:30 pm and Delta 2817 --leaves Salt lake at 5:35 pm and arrives at Orlando at 11:52 pm . Do you have any better suggestions ? . Becknal

Assume you have booked on your own. Your flight to anchorage is fine as easier to go east to west. As to your connection home not many good choices because of losing 3 hours. See two possible issues. The flight out of Vancouver might be an issue as you do go thru security and us customs/immigration in Vancouver and a late arrival in Vancouver could cause delays. The connection in salt lake is fine as long as your earlier flight could be delayed and your flight to Orlando us last flight of day

Not sure you could do better unless you stay an fly home the next day. Lots to see and do in Vancouver.

Thanks for your comments . However 2 years ago Vancouver had US customs and immigration agents clearing flights to the US .Has this changed ?

Yes they do. Mentioned that as a potential issue should your ship arrival be delayed.

Thanks for your comments . However 2 years ago Vancouver had US customs and immigration agents clearing flights to the US .Has this changed ?

This has been in effect for years and we are thankful that they have this. In my opinion, Canadian customs and immigration is better organized than in the U.S. plus it allows you to arrive at your home airport without any delays (note: flight delays in Vancouver are rare).

This has been in effect for years and we are thankful that they have this. In my opinion, Canadian customs and immigration is better organized than in the U.S. plus it allows you to arrive at your home airport without any delays (note: flight delays in Vancouver are rare).

Note that the customs/immigration processes at YVR for US bound flights are run by USA officials (CBP), not any Canadian agency. Canada is responsible for security screening, which is a separate process and jurisdiction.

And, FWIW, Canada is responsible for customs/immigration for inbound travel to Canada.

Note that the customs/immigration processes at YVR for US bound flights are run by USA officials (CBP), not any Canadian agency. Canada is responsible for security screening, which is a separate process and jurisdiction.

And, FWIW, Canada is responsible for customs/immigration for inbound travel to Canada.

Yes - you are definitely correct but for some reason the process seems easier in YVR than SEA for example. Interestingly, when driving into Canada, the Canadian officials seem stricter and ask more questions than going into the U.S. (and we have NEXUS cards so we have been thoroughly screened).

As a matter of interest (or not), when you go to the office to get your Nexus pass (office in the U.S.), there appears to be the same number of Canadian officials as U.S. officials.

In any case, thanks for posting that information!

Yes - you are definitely correct but for some reason the process seems easier in YVR than SEA for example. Interestingly, when driving into Canada, the Canadian officials seem stricter and ask more questions than going into the U.S. (and we have NEXUS cards so we have been thoroughly screened).

I have been advised by someone in the "border business" (and I have to leave it at that), that Canadian immigration has directives from Revenue Canada to be "proactive" in securing duty payments for northbound travelers. Note how you are virtually always asked "Are you bringing any gifts?" or "will you be leaving anything in Canada". They want that duty money that gifts are subject to. Canadian officials are also strict on those who may have had "issues" with the law enforcement/judicial system in the USA. And they are tough on bringing "weapons" into Canada (and they don't bother to parse between long guns, handguns, knives and other "weapons").

As a matter of interest (or not), when you go to the office to get your Nexus pass (office in the U.S.), there appears to be the same number of Canadian officials as U.S. officials.
Because NEXUS is a joint USA/Canada program, where BOTH sides have to clear you for your approval. In contrast, Global Entry is a USA only program, and only works when heading south. So no Canadians need to screen you for GE.