First night motel in Papeete?

CSloan

We haven't made reservations yet, but prior to our Sept 1 on the Tahitian, we're looking at flying into Papetee, staying the first night there, then taking the ferry to Moorea for 2 night in an OWB. Our thinking is that, since we'll arrive late we'd be better off with this plan, rather then trying to get to Moorea at night. My guess is, if we fly to Moorea that night it would cost about the same as staying the night in Papeete .

Any advice/comments you'd like to share would be appreciated!

1. If we stay one night in Papeete before going over to Moorea, we're looking at either the Le Mandarin downtown, or the Tahiti Airport Motel (walking distance from the airport). Any comments on either one?

2. Any thoughts on which OWB on Moorea? It looks like there are three options: Softiel, Pearl, and Sheraton. Since the OWB is so pricey, we'll probably hang close to the resort... snorkeling is a priority for me, not so much for my DH.

3, We'll probably want to do some exploring on Moorea during the precruise, then do Dr Poole's excursion the day the ship visits Moorea.

Thanks!

My DW and I stayed at the Tahiti Airport Motel this past August for one night.

It is directly across the street from the airport but it is up a steep hill and it would be a difficult hike without a bunch of suitcases. We took a taxi which was about 1500 CPF.

Jay

We stayed at the Sheraton Moorea in an OWB (#108) last March. We thought it was great and the snorkeling fron the balcony was some of the best during our cruise.Let me know if I can answer any questions for you.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked in the Te Tiare in Papeete for arrival night, then off to Moorea the next morning via ferry for pre-cruise.

We picked Te Tiare because it's on the waterfront and within walking distance of the ferry dock. We also understand that Le Mandarin is adequate for an overnighter, but that Tahiti Airport Motel required quite an effort to reach on foot, as Trobrah describes. We wanted to avoid a morning cab ride, and instead be near the ferry dock, ready to roll the next morning!

I'll post our thoughts on Te Tiare after we return on 2/11!

We are booked in the Te Tiare in Papeete for arrival night, then off to Moorea the next morning via ferry for pre-cruise.

We picked Te Tiare because it's on the waterfront and within walking distance of the ferry dock. We also understand that Le Mandarin is adequate for an overnighter, but that Tahiti Airport Motel required quite an effort to reach on foot, as Trobrah describes. We wanted to avoid a morning cab ride, and instead be near the ferry dock, ready to roll the next morning!

I'll post our thoughts on Te Tiare after we return on 2/11!

Thanks. I'd like to see what you have to say about Te Tiare for the overnight. We booked the Airport Hotel - it was around $130 for the night.

Where are you staying on Moorea?

I'd love to know your comments about the hotel too. We've reserved a room at Le Mandarin Hotel based on CC comments. We couldn't find anything about Te Tiare at the time.

We just want a comfortable room within walking distance of the pier. We don't need a fancy room for the one night since we plan to get up "early" and walk around the marketplace before we board the ship. Will probably spend very little time in the room.

Thanks.

Hi Cathy

Lisa and I are actually arriving only one day early, on Friday night, and were also thinking of the Le Mandarin for that one night. Plane gets in late, we will only be in the room less than 10 hours, and I understand the hotel is within walking distance to the pier.

Was there anything in particular that persuaded you to the Airport hotel?

We have not yet made reservations.

David

David-

The cost for one night was only $118. So, I think that's a pretty good rate, especially since it's only for one quick night.

After such a long travel day, I didn't want to spend even more time traveling to a hotel, so the Airport Motel sounds like a good option to me. In emails I've received from the hotel, it sounds like it's about a 5-minute walk to the motel. Even if it is up hill, that sounds good to me after sitting on a plane for 8+ hours. they told me a cab ride from the airport to the motel is 1500xpf. I'm sure I'll be ready to get to the motel!

For transportation to the pier, there is a local bus that we can take that costs 130XPF/person. The bus stop, according to the motel, is about a 10-minute walk to the pier. I don't see that as a problem with rolling luggage. But, we may end up opting for a cab anyway.

Since we're getting in so late, I didn't want to pay a LOT for a room, and I figure there wouldn't be much to see during the ride into town that late. At least in the morning, there will be something to look at during the ride to the pier. And, in the morning we will have plenty of time.

On the website, it looks like a pretty decent place. It's fairly new, and looks good to me for one night.

Cathy

Thanks for the link to the Airport Hotel web site.

It does look pretty nice and the price is certianly right. It is only one night and we wouldn't be out of the airport until about 8:00 PM, at the earliest.

David

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from BTB cruise. Stayed one night at Le Mandarin pre cruise. It was clean and served our purpose before cruise. Slept great. Close to local restaurants for breakfast. It was a couple blocks to pier. We took cab because it was raining the morning we boarded. We were at dock at 1115 and they opened up for boarding at 1130.If you just want a clean place with no frills this is fine for one night.

Cindy

CSloan,

We got on and ate lunch at the buffet and walked around the ship. Our room was ready around 1pm. The ship is not crowded and alot of people going home take a tour that last day. They are allowed to store carry on suitcase in steakhouse restaurant for the day.Old passengers can eat in dining room for lunch while new eat at buffet. Old passangers eat at buffet for supper new have open seating for supper. When we came on they gave us early time for open seating. We went to late open seating and they never checked our card we had been given when checking in. Old passengers can come and go until their flight in the evening. We did our own flight but a large amount of Princess arranged flights did not arrive until late the first night and got on board at 10-11 pm. You stay in Papeete the first night. Princess does a great job accommodating old and new passengers.

Cindy

Cindy

Thanks for the explanation of how things work on the first and last day. Also thanks for the brief review of the Le Mandarin. We are arriving the evening before our cruise also and intend to use this Hotel for that night, as you did.

David

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at the Tahiti Airport Hotel before our TP cruise in August 2006. It had only been opened for 1 week. Yes it is right across the street from the airport BUT it is up a STEEP hill. We did walk up to it with our luggage. There is some confusion about what street to go up but since it was dark, 8:30 pm, we chose one and started the trek up.:eek: I would not suggest walking there, take a cab! It is a gravel private driveway that wasn't user friendly with luggage and we were greeted by a pack of dogs:eek: Luckily there was an employee of the motel watching us crazy travelers and he came unlocked a gate and helped us:D The hotel itself was brand-new, clean, reasonably priced $120 a night but was sparsly furnished. It was just fine for the night and the next morning we took a cab into Papeete, $20.

Archived