Air Tahiti Nui

parislady40

Air Tahiti Nui has beat out competition to other well know international carriers to be one of the airlines on the top 10 list for Travel and Leisure!!!!! What a wonderful accomplishment for such a small and relatively new airline among avaiation giants. I have had the pleasure of traveling on ATN, and did certainly enjoy. Congrats to the French Polynesia for making it with the Big Boys!!

http://www.travelandleisure.com/worldsbest/2008/results.cfm?cat=othercairlinesforeign

Fresh from Tahitipresse:

Air Tahiti Nui wins 2 Skytrax airline awards for 6th straight year

- With its 10th anniversary of flying only three months away, Air Tahiti Nui has won two Skytrax World Airline Awards for the sixth straight year - Best Pacific Region Airline and Best Pacific Cabin Staff.

Air Tahiti Nui, French Polynesia's only international airline, began flying on Nov. 20, 1998 with a flight from Papeete to Los Angeles with a fleet of one plane—an Airbus A340-200. Today, with a fleet of five A340-300s, the airline flies to New York, Paris, Sydney, Auckland, Tokyo and Osaka.

"We strive to deliver authentic Tahitian service, and to be recognized for the quality and consistency of our service," said Craig Lee, Air Tahiti Nui's regional director for Australia.

"To win these accolades once is a great honor, and to win these awards for six years running is testimony to our commitment," he said.

"But for an airline that celebrates its 10th anniversary later this year, it is a great vote of confidence in our young team worldwide that we have managed not only to win these awards, but to win them in six consecutive global assessments of the entire airline industry."

In the Best Cabin Staff results, Air Tahiti Nui finished first in the Pacific region. Pacific Blue, the international airline subsidiary of the low-cost Australian carrier Virgin Blue, was second. Aircalin, New Caledonia's only international carrier, was third.

The World Airline Awards are based on the annual World Airline Survey conducted by Skytrax and involving more than 15 million air travelers of 97 nationalities. The 2008 winners were chose based on surveys conducted from August 2007 to June 2008.

looking forward to my flight back home soon with ATN !

Meherio

Except for being crammed into my seat (I'm 6'5") ATN was one of the best airlines I've ever flown on. The service was wonderful, the staff was attentive, free drinks, and even the food was much better than average for an airline. We enjoyed our 8 hr flight.

We also like ATN--can you imagine food and drink without a credit card or cash

We also use Air France

Always try for an aisle seat--at least uncramp one leg--and walk

Great when you get to Papette !!

\Safe Traqvels

Nancy:D

I can understand why they are getting such praise. We have enjoyed ATN in the past and for an 8 hour flight, they really are quite pleasent. We enjoy the 2 X 4 X 2 seating, and find although the seats are not oversized, they are comfortable enough to not feel like you are sitting for 8 hours with your shoulders hunched in and your hands in your lap.

We have also found the service, food and drinks to be a great addition.

It's no wonder all their flights are booked up well in advance to Tahiti. They seem to really try harder and make flying more like it used to be before all of the changes made here on U.S. flights. :)

One of my worst travel experiences exactly one year ago today was on an ATN flight from LAX to Papeete. A 6 hour delay, the most cramped coach seats I've ever encountered and air conditioning that left me shivering and sick. Next time, I'll try a different airline. Food was good though.

Ia orana,

Any airline when a problem arise will appear at the worst. I "suffered" a 2 hour technical delay aboard the Concorde that made me miss the connecting flight back to LAx.

Should I hate forever BA ? or regret my ride in the rocket ? heck no!

Yet a ratio of 5 praises against one unsatisfied is at these days of extra charges for blankets here, food to buy there ands no free water for most domestic airline is commendable. Especially with the free Hinano beer during the flight!.

Alternatives are limited (Air France, Lan Chile, Hawaiian) No real other winners of prizes on the list I am afraid.

Counting the days for my flight aboard ATN

PS attached some not so cramped seats on ATN + my very cramped seat on BA ( but what a view!)

Meherio

I miss flying faster than a falling coconut looking at the curvature of the earth ! I do not miss the fact that no Hinano was served aboard.

1050529552_ATNinterior(9).jpg.2ccf87e100ca5e1fe59a0e75e9df663c.jpg

1108137260_sstpar013.jpg.45d543a056890708a2c43c99b09bd119.jpg

1234557465_sstpar015.jpg.6ed98c732a0ebee0100bb87840eb1dae.jpg

Meherio - great shots!

We bit the bullet with our ATN flights and upgraded to business class on ATN and it was the best decision we ever made. Now it's the only way we'll fly. Yes, it is expensive, but we only cruise once a year and would rather pay and be comfortable than not and unhappy.

Ia orana

A lesser known offer for ATN is available the day of departure only. $ 700 per person one way , space and catering being available et voila!

Great food service ( mix and match entrees and side dishes if needed, great wine selection and superb sorbet before the pastries).

This 6ft3 loves the reclining seats and the possibility to enjoy one's meal without looking at the balding passenger's head right above the tray.

Glad you liked the photos. it allowed me to get back in the rocket in thoughts at least and recall the subsonic traffic flying 20000 ft below us going backwards , "eating" it's own contrail. That was the only way to fly.

Meherio

meherio

• 2 weeks later...

Not a surprise at all- this is a great airline- a month following our ATN flight, we flew to Zuerich on Swiss, which i consider to be a great airline- as the ATN flight was still "fresh" we could compare- Swiss is great, ATN- better!!! and the food- wow, very creative dishes, including an appetizer that was Pate de fois gras- WITH CHOCOLATE SAUCE!!! I know, doesn't sound great, but- ATN did it- it WAS great...So the award is deserved...

Ia orana

the upgrade from coach to business class discusse above is indeed the best deal. a similar deal is available from business class to first. 180 degree flat bed with jammies in a section of the aircraft with up to 6 passengers ( rarely seen)

Bon voyage

Bags are packeed, ready to go back home to Moore!

meherio

Oh boy, can't wait to fly ATN Business in December! No long check-in line in Fa'aa coming home!! And an air-conditioned lounge. Whee! This alone is probably worth the premium!

You are right about that,Wendy. We always fly business with ATN and the service is incredible! The food was fabulous, the drinks never-ending (this also includes water, soda, not just alcohol, which by itself is okay, but I'd rather stick with the water), the personal screens means that everyone can watch what they want to, not what has been picked for the flight. It's just pretty darn okay by me!

I wonder if the food's better in Business than Coach...we previously flown coach, and the pattern has always been that the food going out to Tahiti has been very nice, and the food coming home to LA not so great. I've guessed that it's a catering provisioning problem, they just don't have the facilities in Papeete.

BTW, all the seats have their own TV screens.

Yes, I think even back in coach,everyone has their own screen. I have to confess to becoming addicted to watching the plane's progress on the screen. Chris, on the other hand, watch about three movies and played some video games - he was in Seventh Heaven.

We found the food to be exceptional on the way over, but I have to confess to having slept through the meal on the way home, so I can't really comment upon it. I'll go see if I can find the menus from the trip home though. They should be somewhere.

Count me in as a fan. I'm a big guy and had plenty of room in coach. Enjoyed the free drinks even though I had never heard of the brands. Food was good and helped pass the time. On the way there water was plentiful and they came around with it quite often. It helped that our section(the rear) was only about a 1/3 full. Very friendly staff, a very welcome change from AA which we usually travel on.

We've flown ATN in all 3 classes - first was over the top wonderful in every aspect; business excellent; coach seats had enough room but the food was the worst of any airline we've ever flown, the attendants were kind of "leave me alone"-ish, and the mid-section at the top of the aircraft was making horrible noises, like it was about to bust loose. That wasn't too comforting!

I think it all depends on which aircraft you get...the time we were in coach, the plane seemed much older and the seats showed a lot of wear.

• 2 weeks later...

ia orana

Fresh (really!) from the return flight in business class. The way to travel.

Atn fleet is varying from 3 to 6 years of age. ( compare that to your regular US carrier with 20 year old + Md 80's or Boeing 767's.....)

FYI ship registration with delivery dates and names

F-OJTN : 03/2002 Ship Bora Bora

F-OJGF : 04/2002 Ship Mangareva

F-OSEA : 01/2003 Ship Moorea

F-OSUN : 02/2003 Ship Rangiroa

F-OLOV* :06/2005 Ship Nuku Hiva

* ATN unlike Corsair french Airlines did not get all the way in their " sea-sex and sun" series of registration of aircrafts.

Each aircraft seems to offer slight variation in the decor and entertainment system. Nuku Hiva being the newest, offers the best of all worlds. the luck of the draw gave us "Bora Bora" on the same seat round trip and loved it !

The menus at last have shown in business class some great creativity

(according to this here retired chef). Worth the money should you be able to afford it...

Atn proudly wears special 10 year anniversary from the start of operation logos on the nose of their aircrafts.

For any potential travelers to FP next year , note that the rates will increase by quite a bit. It is posible to acquire the tickets for 2009 at this year 's rate until Sept 25. FYI

The money saved can go towards that black pearl..........

Meherio

ATN--Great Business class

but I also love Air France--business class--the new planes with the 180 degree beds/chairs

These flights aren't too bad when they spend 2-1/2/3 hours wining and dining us--gets rid of time--and usually is quite good on both lines !!!!

We'll be taking business class on AA in about 3 weeks to Miami/Aruba--not good planes for business--but better than economy--but what isn't

Glad you enjoyed your trip

That's very reassuring since we'll be doing ATN business class in December. Meherio, which lounge do they offer in Tom Bradley after check-in? I've heard it's Qantas?

How early did you check in on your way out? The usual 3 hours? Presumably it's faster checking in Business--could you cut that time a little?

No matter what time you check in--at least you'll be able to go upstairs to AC lounge--not the best lounge in the world--but it's got AC.

Wish I could remember how soon to check in for ATN--we usually go early before we expect a large group coming from who knows where--most of the airline counters open "when they are ready"--you'll will be soooooo happy to be going business

Safe travels

Hi Nancy, I'm thinking of the LAX to Tahiti flight. So AC is not an issue.

I'm very much looking forward to that AC lounge on the way back!

I'm assuming, in Fa'aa, that we could check in a tad later, since we won't be getting into that horrible big long line??

You're probably correct--we've taken Air France our last 2 trips--we still go early because even business has a line--seems like longer than the seats available

Sorry, can't remember about Bradley--what can I say--no mind--no memory !!

Too many airports in life to remember except when you get off a plane and it's--been here before !!!!

Enjoy your trip/cruise---staying pre or post cruise ?????

• 1 month later...

Ia orana

Air France will put the Boeing 777 on line to papeete next year, watch for it for the 3 class service. the first class is beyond incredible ! (albeit for the price !) Attached is a photo of your flying bed .

The blue seat are the business class, quite narrow compared with Atn + I would hate to be sandwiched in the middle seat especially when everyone is asleep and nature calls.... in the middle of the night. Crazy configuration for a business class with 2 3 2 seats.

Hope this helps with future pasengers when booking.

meherio

1854362696_CopyofOct08france109.jpg.b302d3923eaced0f46bc31f769afaeed.jpg

931324432_CopyofOct08france131.jpg.0b139f7dbdceab4c8c7a5eee4fda3fba.jpg

1541854561_CopyofOct08france112.jpg.3c70dc95d266eb48e0c2bd0899f546dc.jpg

706884362_CopyofOct08france096.jpg.47f26e06805b10301e5977df6f8ea66e.jpg

Archived