Meals at Planks & Steamers on the Caribbean Princess?

canadarocks

When the CB was undergoing renovations this is what I bookmarked:

PLANKS:

Breakfast (no charge): buffet with customized breakfast bowls

Lunch (no charge): buffet with freshly tossed salad, signature soup, fork-and-knife sandwiches.

STEAMERS:

Breakfast (no charge): omelets, fried eggs, and eggs Benedict

Lunch (no charge): buffet with Gourmet and Ramen Bowls with broths

Can anyone who's been on board the Caribbean Princess recently comment of these two new dining venues for breakfast, lunch, and dinner ????

I recall a previous post that said there was a charge for dinner. Not sure about the details but would want to know too as we will be boarding next month. Sent from my iPad using Forums

There's a $12 per person charge for dinner at both venues.

The online descriptions of those venues appear to have been recently updated:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/cb-caribbean-princess/ (click 'Specialty Dining')

STEAMERS: Our new family-style seafood restaurant offers dinner served by wait staff for a nominal fee. Choose from Black & Blue Mussels or Classic Clams “Steamers” or the Broiled Platter which includes scallops, shrimp and crab-stuffed flounder. All come with generous sides and dipping sauces as well as starters and dessert. At lunchtime, help yourself to a buffet that includes Gourmet and Ramen Bowls with regionally inspired broths—all at no charge. And join us for breakfast, also at no charge, for specialty egg dishes like omelets, fried eggs and eggs Benedict.

PLANKS: Drop by for a classic American-style dinner, served by wait staff for a nominal fee. Our casual BBQ restaurant gives you a choice of "Planks" loaded with four meats, chili, coleslaw and seasoned fries along with starters and decadent dessert. Planks BBQ also serves a buffet-style lunch at no charge, with signature soup and freshly tossed salad, as well as regionally inspired fork-and-knife sandwiches. Buffet-style breakfasts, also at no charge, include savory breakfast bowls customized for you.

But the latest revision of the Dining Options doc:

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/food-and-dining/dining-options.pdf

...while repeating that Breakfast and Lunch are no charge. lists only the opening hours for Lunch and Dinner.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/cb-caribbean-princess/ (click 'Specialty Dining')

STEAMERS: Our new family-style seafood restaurant offers dinner served by wait staff for a nominal fee. Choose from Black & Blue Mussels or Classic Clams “Steamers” or the Broiled Platter which includes scallops, shrimp and crab-stuffed flounder. All come with generous sides and dipping sauces as well as starters and dessert. At lunchtime, help yourself to a buffet that includes Gourmet and Ramen Bowls with regionally inspired broths—all at no charge. And join us for breakfast, also at no charge, for specialty egg dishes like omelets, fried eggs and eggs Benedict.

PLANKS: Drop by for a classic American-style dinner, served by wait staff for a nominal fee. Our casual BBQ restaurant gives you a choice of "Planks" loaded with four meats, chili, coleslaw and seasoned fries along with starters and decadent dessert. Planks BBQ also serves a buffet-style lunch at no charge, with signature soup and freshly tossed salad, as well as regionally inspired fork-and-knife sandwiches. Buffet-style breakfasts, also at no charge, include savory breakfast bowls customized for you.

...while repeating that Breakfast and Lunch are no charge. lists only the opening hours for Lunch and Dinner.

Says they're open 6 PM onwards.

Thanks...... but already got these. :) Hoping for posts from those who've actually eaten at either of these two.

The deafening silence coming from these two venues could be due to their being added right before the ship started its summer deployment from Southampton. Menus are clearly aimed for North American tastes.

There was this solitary post from someone who tried Planks for dinner on the Transatlantic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53042291&postcount=171

Thanks everyone, but..... looking for anyone who's actually eaten at these two venues for comments. :)

We ate at Steamers and Planks during our TA in April. My husband wanted to try Steamers and I wanted to try Planks for the barbecue so they let us order from both menus while we were seated in Steamers. The food and service were great, there was so much food we couldn't finish it all. It was 12.00 per person which in our opinion was well worth the price. Hope this helps. :)

We have eaten at Planks. We were on board shortly after the dry dock where they added it.

The restaraunt was not busy when we dined ( us and one other table) and the waitress explained that planks and steamers shared the same kitchen so she actually brought us both menus to look at and said if one or both of us preferred the steamers menu ( which is like the Crab Shack menu) we could order from that ( we chose to both dine from the Planks menu).

The meal started with some BBQ meatballs ( we didn't care for them) and corn bread that you could make a small slider out of. Then there was soup or salad and each person then selected three meats from the menu. We had brisket, chicken and sausage and there was baked beans and coleslaw as well. The meats are served on a large plank and there is a lot of meat!

We thought the meal was ok. The chicken was moist and tender. The brisket was a bit dry. Overall if we were only doing one specialty dinner in the future we would probably put our money toward a different option.

For breakfast and lunch- the area is like an extension of the buffet similar to Caribe Cafe. The best thing about breakfast there is the omelet bar. They take your omelet order, give you a number and once you are seated you give the number to the server and you get your hot delicious made to order omelet. I recommend trying the omelets.

Hope this is helpful... As always your experience may differ.

We ate at Steamers and Planks during our TA in April. My husband wanted to try Steamers and I wanted to try Planks for the barbecue so they let us order from both menus while we were seated in Steamers. The food and service were great, there was so much food we couldn't finish it all. It was 12.00 per person which in our opinion was well worth the price. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the info. Good to know you liked both.

Tony

We have eaten at Planks. We were on board shortly after the dry dock where they added it.

The restaraunt was not busy when we dined ( us and one other table) and the waitress explained that planks and steamers shared the same kitchen so she actually brought us both menus to look at and said if one or both of us preferred the steamers menu ( which is like the Crab Shack menu) we could order from that ( we chose to both dine from the Planks menu).

The meal started with some BBQ meatballs ( we didn't care for them) and corn bread that you could make a small slider out of. Then there was soup or salad and each person then selected three meats from the menu. We had brisket, chicken and sausage and there was baked beans and coleslaw as well. The meats are served on a large plank and there is a lot of meat!

We thought the meal was ok. The chicken was moist and tender. The brisket was a bit dry. Overall if we were only doing one specialty dinner in the future we would probably put our money toward a different option.

For breakfast and lunch- the area is like an extension of the buffet similar to Caribe Cafe. The best thing about breakfast there is the omelet bar. They take your omelet order, give you a number and once you are seated you give the number to the server and you get your hot delicious made to order omelet. I recommend trying the omelets.

Hope this is helpful... As always your experience may differ.

Thank you both so much! :)

The deafening silence coming from these two venues could be due to their being added right before the ship started its summer deployment from Southampton. Menus are clearly aimed for North American tastes.

There was this solitary post from someone who tried Planks for dinner on the Transatlantic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53042291&postcount=171

BBQ style smokehouse restaurants are all the rage in the UK and are opening everywhere

We won't know until next March but will likely try them both - at least for breakfast and lunch. :)

We are on the March cruise as well and are really looking forward to trying these venues for breakfast and lunch. We may have some OBC to use up so dinner at one might also be an option.

Two cruises since April on the Caribbean Princess. Had dinner on both cruises at Planks. First time was during the TA and we were among the only folks in there. One of the servers, Magdalena, has been on many cruises that we have taken and she led us through the menu. That experience-Much more food than we could possibly eat and with the lack of other patrons, we felt like the serving folks were hovering. Kind of an unpleasant experience but food was good; just needed two more folks to eat what we could not. Second cruise a little over a month ago and place was more popular. We had daughter, son-in law and two granddaughters. Granddaughters could not find much they liked other than potatoes but again there was more food than we could eat.

Both locations are open during lunch and breakfast but just a little extra food that would have been in the Horizon court on other ships. More of extra (or what used to be) seating for early meals.No charge at lunch or breakfast.

IMO-ships are now charging for food that used to be standard (I started cruising in 1954 at a VERY YOUNG age). Before somebody tells me---Yes I know the price of cruises has stayed way below what the cost of living raise has been and I could probably get the meals I remember if I were to go Crystal or Silversea. To be honest, I am at an age where I can't even eat what I am being offered today.:')

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'd love to know how late Steamer's is open for Breakfast. :confused:

I'd love to know how late Steamer's is open for Breakfast. :confused:

Based on their dining venue information, Planks & Steamers for breakfast shows N/A...not applicable. It shows the World Fresh Marketplace is open for the breakfast buffet from 0600-1130. On ships with Cafe Caribe breakfast hours are 0600-1000 and that's the same area used to create the Steamers/Planks on the Caribbean.

Hopefully someone has recent experiences they could share but based on the Princess dining venue information Steamers/Planks is not open for breakfast.

Edited by Astro Flyer