Tipping

FluffyFiFi

For two of us sharing a cabin paying £84 in tips for a week's cruising is quite a chunk. For comparison I have to work 2 day shifts to earn £84. (With a 20 mile round commute)

In my job we are not allowed to receive tips, I do tip restaurant staff at times, but it depends on service, the food quality etc...

Tips ought never be part of someone's salary - they ought to be a bonus for excellent service.

Our cabin will be kept spotless by us, towels can be reused, the bathroom and bedroom will be kept tidy. Our steward won't have much to do for us.

We will be eating mostly buffet food, so no need for waiters hardly. I also would prefer to go to the bar for my drinks.

I would prefer to remove auto tipping, then leave a discretionary tip for the cabin steward to use as he pleases.

For two of us sharing a cabin paying £84 in tips for a week's cruising is quite a chunk. For comparison I have to work 2 day shifts to earn £84. (With a 20 mile round commute)

In my job we are not allowed to receive tips, I do tip restaurant staff at times, but it depends on service, the food quality etc...

Tips ought never be part of someone's salary - they ought to be a bonus for excellent service.

Our cabin will be kept spotless by us, towels can be reused, the bathroom and bedroom will be kept tidy. Our steward won't have much to do for us.

We will be eating mostly buffet food, so no need for waiters hardly. I also would prefer to go to the bar for my drinks.

I would prefer to remove auto tipping, then leave a discretionary tip for the cabin steward to use as he pleases.

So do as you please and think no further of it. Not sure why you would mostly eat in the buffet. Much better food in the dining room, but each to their own.

So do as you please and think no further of it. Not sure why you would mostly eat in the buffet. Much better food in the dining room, but each to their own.

Some people just prefer the convenience, the lesser formality, the choice, speed, high level of flexibility and anonymity that dining in the buffet provides.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well, we are going for the compromise - after much soul searching and reviewing all of the many, many threads for and against. We are going to compromise.

One of us will take off the auto tips and the other pay them -- and sign for everything. We will take the other gratuities in cash (and extra) and give individual gratuities at the end of the cruise as appropriate. This will be no less than the auto gratuities and may be more if we feel appropriate. I know that many of you will not agree, but we feel happier with this one. It still wipes out all of our OBC given for booking 18 months early but hey ho ....

We have thought long and hard about all of this and would prefer that P&O just include the 'tips' for everyone like in the UK and then there can be a 'line' on the 'bill' when you sign for your meal / drinks where you can pay a gratuity for staff like you can in a UK restaurant. If this cruise line is supposed to be British please can we just run like a British restaurant or hotel then please, please, please can this be sorted.

We'd even smile about late embarkation if they did ..........................

No more comments from us ------- we'll be busy packing our 6 cases tomorrow :')

Well, we are going for the compromise - after much soul searching and reviewing all of the many, many threads for and against. We are going to compromise.

One of us will take off the auto tips and the other pay them -- and sign for everything. We will take the other gratuities in cash (and extra) and give individual gratuities at the end of the cruise as appropriate. This will be no less than the auto gratuities and may be more if we feel appropriate. I know that many of you will not agree, but we feel happier with this one. It still wipes out all of our OBC given for booking 18 months early but hey ho ....

We have thought long and hard about all of this and would prefer that P&O just include the 'tips' for everyone like in the UK and then there can be a 'line' on the 'bill' when you sign for your meal / drinks where you can pay a gratuity for staff like you can in a UK restaurant. If this cruise line is supposed to be British please can we just run like a British restaurant or hotel then please, please, please can this be sorted.

We'd even smile about late embarkation if they did ..........................

No more comments from us ------- we'll be busy packing our 6 cases tomorrow :')

Have a wonderful time x

Hi Florry - we will, and whatever re the tips, we will make sure that we look after the staff :-)

Nice to have 'chatted' to you over recent months :-)

You too Presto, raise a glass to us all at sail away!

I don't see the logic in your statement.

Carnival is a dual listed company with a variety of brands, and although those brands are aimed at different customer segments so the marketing will be segment specific, the underlying operation of each will be based on the same tried and tested principles.

If you were designing the pay and reward system for stewards/waiters would you want to have a system so some staff 'win' because they receive their fractional share of the tip pool plus cash from people who have removed the service charge (so depressing the tip pool) and other staff 'lose' because they only receive their fractional share of the tip pool as their passengers paid the service charge so they didn't tip in cash.

Don't you think that system of allowing the staff to keep the cash if the service charge has been removed would result in behaviour that you might not want on your ships?

Wouldn't you prefer to be able to control your staff by the ability to withhold payments from the tip pool if performance is not up to standard.

Do you honestly think that the P&O brand of Carnival would operate an HR system that would give it less control of its staff than the Princess brand?

Of course the different Carnival brands have different rules. Costa for example are bringing in a zero alcohol policy for officers but not (yet) on Cunard or P& O

Of course the different Carnival brands have different rules. Costa for example are bringing in a zero alcohol policy for officers but not (yet) on Cunard or P& O

I am not sure why you are so keen on trying to dismiss this evidence from a Carnival brand.

Again you raise something that relates to the marketing of the cruise to customers (Costa don't let you take alcohol on, but do offer alcoholic drinks packages).

Crew conditions and remuneration is completely different and is a corporate not a brand issue.

I notice you don't disagree (or at least raise any arguments) that it would be illogical if the stewards/waiters did not hand in cash tips when the service charge is not paid.

I am not sure why you are so keen on trying to dismiss this evidence from a Carnival brand.

Again you raise something that relates to the marketing of the cruise to customers (Costa don't let you take alcohol on, but do offer alcoholic drinks packages).

Crew conditions and remuneration is completely different and is a corporate not a brand issue.

I notice you don't disagree (or at least raise any arguments) that it would be illogical if the stewards/waiters did not hand in cash tips when the service charge is not paid.

Clearly you have failed to understand the point being made. Which of course is not unusual.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is no need to raise any arguments as there is absolutely no evidence that they hand in cash tips.

There is no need to raise any arguments as there is absolutely no evidence that they hand in cash tips.

I don't think you are allowed to bring evidence and reality to the conversation.

:). :).

Sharon was talking about Costa trying to stop drunken captains entertaining their concubines from hitting the rocks.

Yes, you have to take things in perspective. It has been alleged that a certain number of extra people might have been on board. If this was true, certainly a questionable decision. Whether the crew would drink on duty is another issue where bad decisions might have been made. Costa Concordia sunk in 2012 with a cost in lives of 32 according to figures I have. Cunard have not had a ship sink since 1982 with a cost of 12 lives.

Regards John

I have provided evidence they do for at least one Carnival brand, and you haven't provided any evidence they don't have to do the same for the other Carnival brands including P&O.

I have provided evidence they do for at least one Carnival brand, and you haven't provided any evidence they don't have to do the same for the other Carnival brands including P&O.

And you have no evidence at all that each separate company has the same working conditions.

Despite your attempt to bad-mouth the source it's known that Cunard staff don't have to hand in cash tips so your assertion is at best unproven.