Hooking up iPad / ChromeCast to Stateroom TV - Any one do this recently??

pl281

I know this was asked a few years ago (and posted back in 2012) - I haven't seen any recently and know that systems / tvs might have been updated.

I will be on Silhouette in about a month. I'm planning on bring a bunch of movie on iPad but would be nice to hook it up to the TV - is this possible - does someone have steps??

I could do it either direct from the iPad or Chromecast

If you have photos / instructions would be great.

I maybe too tired from excursions to even watch - but wanted to have the option

not my set up, so that makes it a lot harder. knowing you have to have a app besides chromecast a hotspot, and I was steps closer but failed, this was with the 2nd gen one of chromecast that sits and collects dust.

So I shall be again interested as well what some one here can chime in with of steps and links to how to do this if not so be it.

I just found a post from 2013 -

If anyone can confirm this - One suggestion was to ask guest services for a DVD player

YES! YES! You can hook up your own audio equipment via the HDMI input. Am I sure? Yes! Because i just did it on Silhouette 2 weeks ago (2013). You don't need and special "motel" remote and you don't have to worry about it being "in Hotel mode".

Here are the steps.

1) There will be two HDMI inputs on the back of the Samsung TV. The TV will be currently using the bottom one. Turn the TV off. Disconnect the Celebrity HDMI cable then plug your own Video equipment into this same HDMI input. (be sure to take a HDMI cable with you).

2) Power the TV back on and viola your device will now be working on the TV. Yes! That simple. The remote will work the TV's volume and power.

To return to the Celebrity feed. Power TV off. Disconnect your HDMI cable and replace the Celebrity HDMI cable in the lower/same HDMI input. Power TV back and you are back to normal.

I know it works because i was able to run my iPad via an Apple HDMI 30 pin connector.

I also took my Apple TV with me and hooked it up the TV and watched what I wanted from a Seagate Wireless Plus Hard Drive. The Seagate Wireless Plus Creates it own wireless network which allows the Apple TV to connect to. This also allows allows an iPad, iPhone, or Mac to mirror to your TV without any wires. My Apple TV2 is jailbroken and this allows me to watch virtually any media file type that I download on my Seagate Wireless Plus.

You must take note in order to get an Apple TV to work it must connect to an available network. Do not connect to the ships because that would cost you a fortune. You must create your own and the Seagate Wireless Plus is the answer (wireless network plus hard drive). Once your Apple TV connects it will look like it is offline because the default Apple icon will not be displaying because of no internet. Don't worry because everything else will work... even your mirroring capabilities.

Yes the above will work because your just swapping their HDMI cable for yours.

Next week, we're bringing a small HDMI switch with us so we can change sources without having to swap cables each time.

Mike

• 4 months later...

On board Eclipse right now and trying to hook up Apple TV. Everyone talks about removing the HDMI cable. But when I look behind the tv only thing connect is to the port PC in. I removed that and turned off the tv and turned it back on with the HDMI connected and says looking for PC port. Any suggestions??

• 3 weeks later...

So, it sounds like the TV's in the cabins on the Eclipse won't recognize the HDMI port(s), and will just look for a PC port connection. If I am wrong about this will someone please let me know. I will be sailing on the Eclipse in 10 days in a sky suite and was hoping to hook up my Apple TV, or Roku Streaming Stick, through an HDMI port on the TV so that I could watch content from my iPad on it. Any suggestions or comments?

So, it sounds like the TV's in the cabins on the Eclipse won't recognize the HDMI port(s), and will just look for a PC port connection. If I am wrong about this will someone please let me know. I will be sailing on the Eclipse in 10 days in a sky suite and was hoping to hook up my Apple TV, or Roku Streaming Stick, through an HDMI port on the TV so that I could watch content from my iPad on it. Any suggestions or comments?

The TV is automatically set to recognize a shared HDMI/DVI 1 port. Many of the TV's have been unlocked from hotel mode. You can ask your Butler or Housekeeping Attendant to have the engineer unlock it. You will either need to bring a universal remote or ask for one if they have an extra on the ship.

Once unlocked you can simply press the source button and it will allow you to select the HDMI port you are using. The TV automatically reverts to the default on power down.

I did this last month on Silhouette with no problem.

Just sailed on Allure of the Seas in Oct with free Wi-Fi and watched TV from my iPad. Both RCCL & Celebrity have Samsung TV's so you need a Samsung remote or buy a universal remote that has an "INPUT" button and program it on the ship. I brought my Samsung remote, a HDMI cable and an Apple Digital AV Adapter to connect the HDMI cable to my iPad. I was on a B2B and sailed in two different GS cabins. One TV immediately recognized my iPad or iPhone and the other required me to change the input to the HDMI I had hooked up. It streamed great. I will be doing it next month on Equinox in a S1 and I'm sure it'll work the same.

I also downloaded all of the major TV network apps, HBO, Amazon and Netflix which I was able to view after signing into each app with my cable company password.

I requested a DVD for my SS in April from my butler. A ship engineer hooked up the DVD player which wouldn't work without one of the ship's universal remotes. The engineer explained that the remotes were limited and he was unable to leave one so he subsequently removed the DVD player.

Just hooked up my WDTVLive media played the the samsung TV in our S1 on the eclipse last week.

HDMI input in the side, and took my samsung remote with me.

You were able to use the buttons on the side of the TV for adjusting inputs.

Also used the PC 3.5mm (1/8") jack to run the sound through my bose Sound link Mini also.

worked well.

was pleased.

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old thread but it helped me on my sailing on the Summit last week. I found on our TV I was able to plug into the HDMI on the side of the TV and set the TV to channel 3 we could watch content from our ipads / iphones directly using an apple Lightning to HDMI adapter. No remotes or change of inputs (or even unplugging any other cables) required. The adapter turned out to be totally worth the $40.

I know this is an old thread but it helped me on my sailing on the Summit last week. I found on our TV I was able to plug into the HDMI on the side of the TV and set the TV to channel 3 we could watch content from our ipads / iphones directly using an apple Lightning to HDMI adapter. No remotes or change of inputs (or even unplugging any other cables) required. The adapter turned out to be totally worth the $40.

Thank you for the update and recommendation! We're going on the Infinity next week and definitely going to go buy that Apple Lightning HDMI adapter.

Does anyone know if all of the tv's in various cabins on the Summit are all Samsung with the same set-up?

Also, are you talking about live content you were watching with unlimited ships internet or content (such as full movies) that were downloaded onto your iPad or iPhone where you were just using the tv for a bigger screen (or both)?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hooked up a DVD player to the Samsung TV on the S class ship. The TV plug is in the "PC" mode which has to hdmi plugs hanging. Just bring your own hdmi cable and plug it in . No need to remove the PC plug. On the side of the TV change the source or input until the screen reads "HDMI" and you can play your DVD or whatever else like your iPad. No need to unplug anything.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Can anyone confirm if the TVs in the cabins on the Equinox have a USB port to hook up a hard drive directly?

Just to save me taking my laptop to watch a few movies?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off the Equinox yesterday. We used an HDMI cord to connect my iPad to the TV. We were able to watch downloaded movies and with some hiccups, streaming Netflix. The streaming would occasionally be blurry or stop, but for the most part it worked.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think all of this is great. If cruise lines need any additional shove to show them that at least some people want to be able to watch movies/TV in their cabins, you would think these posts would do it. Ridiculous that we have to drag along our own AV equipment to do this.

It is 2017--people want to do what they want to do. Cruise lines need to offer us options, not make it harder for us to do what we want.

Please spare me the comments that you "cruise for the ports" or "who cruises to watch TV". That may be how you enjoy your cruise. Fine, no problem. Show the same respect to others who choose to enjoy their cruises in other ways. If you can't deal with that, go comment on some other thread.

ML

• 6 months later...

Sorry to dredge up an old topic but I didn’t want to start another thread!

Anyone able to provide an update on the hookups on board equinox atm? Or failing that anyone able to update if they were able to connect an iPad or chrome cast to the tv? Thanks!

Sorry to dredge up an old topic but I didn’t want to start another thread!

Anyone able to provide an update on the hookups on board equinox atm? Or failing that anyone able to update if they were able to connect an iPad or chrome cast to the tv? Thanks!

The Equinox hasn’t had any updates since October, so if you bring an HDMI cord you should be able to connect your iPad.

Vickie

Was just on Equinox less than 4 weeks ago, and the HDMI connections still work.

I agree, that these days people expect to be able to be connected, and/or watch the content they want to. They should offer ways to use our devices/media as we want. Also, a big thing would be to offer more electrical outlets (on new ships, or when in for updates). For 2 of us we have to bring at least 1 power strip to be able to power all of our devices.

Just off the equinox 4/7-4/13)....tv was hooked up for pc input so hdmi ports are not active. What I always do is bring a universal remote ($7 at the big box stores) an hdmi cable and an apple lightning digital adapter. Plug your device into one the hdmi ports find the tv with the universal remote and change the input and you’re done, this takes all of 5 min to do. Every time you turn off the tv it defaulted back to pc input (Celebrity channels) when turned back on. To view your device again just change the input with the universal.