Helmet Dive

ChelePA

We did it last summer and loved it so much we may even do it again this year!! you go down a step or two on the ladder, they place the helmet on your head and you go the rest of the way down the ladder. you walk around as a group and get a great nature lesson while under the water! My son used his go pro and we also bought the dvd.

I had to report back. We absolutely loved the helmet dive. My daughter's favorite part of the trip. Captain Greg has a quirky sense of humor :) He was very kind and loved to educate. Perfect for the last 1/2 day. We were back around two. Dropped off a few steps from ship and tour is only a mile or so off shore. We had three groups with us and each group spent about 40 minutes underwater. You wait on the enclosed boat. At that time, we talked lots with his son. Lots of great info about Bermuda. We ordered the disk with video and pics. They came out great!

Thanks for your report! Glad you liked it. My younger son really wants to do this. I am more ambivalent. I am happy to hear Greg was kind and friendly. Quirky is not problem in my book as long as someone is kind and well-intended. I am also a little worried about me getting freaked out/feeling claustrophobic and not being able to complete the dive. My boys and dad would likely be fine and love the underwater part, and I adore anything photography-related so would be thrilled with the pics. Right now, we have Hidden Gems booked for the last day, because my older son was interested in the cave exploration, cave swimming, and cliff diving. It's a long day--begins at 7:30. But if you book through the ship, you are safe with the 2:30 all-aboard. We can still consider canceling and switching to Helmet Diving, but since Hidden Gems only takes 12 on that early tour, I figured we had better hold our spots for now. If we could fit Helmet Diving in on anothe day, I'd probably do it, but for now, our schedule is full. 80 minutes of sitting and waiting on that boat (while hungry for lunch) might drive my boys batty. I don't mind--I like to "chill" and would enjoy the talk with Greg's son.

• 11 months later...

Just returned from our cruise aboard the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda. We pre-booked Hartley's Helmet Dive on-line for 9:30am May 24th. We absolutely loved the helmet dive. Captain Greg has a sense of humor and loves to educate during the de-briefing that takes place while Ben (his son) takes you out to the reef. We were back at the Dockyard around 1:30pm. We had two groups of 8 with us and each group spent about 40 minutes underwater. You wait on the enclosed boat. At that time, we talked lots with his son. Lots of great info about Bermuda. We ordered the memory stick with video and pics. They came out great! Check it out at hartleybermuda dot com