Celebrity Equinox cabin 9266

joyj

Hello

I am new to cruising having avoided this as I get travel sick. I used a travel agent and she suggested an upgrade to cabin 9226. I have since been told to avoid anywhere near the funnel as I will hear the engine and feel a vibration. Is this so? Can anyone advise me as it’s a lot of money and I’m considering cancelling.

Many thanks

Joy

As you haven't said what the upgrade is from, it's hard to compare but it's hard to imagine there could be any engine noise -- you will be many decks above the engines. As to vibration from the funnels, that is a new one to me -- have never heard of any stateroom suffering from that.

Thank you for your reply. The upgrade was from a cabin on level 7 towards the front of the ship. My cousin cruises regularly and says you can feel the vibrations walking along the corridor as they echo in the funnel. She says you can see where the funnel is because there is a white space shown in the ship diagram, so I’m assuming I’m close. I don’t know which level she was on but it was on Celebrity Millennium.

Thank you for your reply. The upgrade was from a cabin on level 7 towards the front of the ship. My cousin cruises regularly and says you can feel the vibrations walking along the corridor as they echo in the funnel. She says you can see where the funnel is because there is a white space shown in the ship diagram, so I’m assuming I’m close. I don’t know which level she was on but it was on Celebrity Millennium.

Millennium and Equinox are very different from each other. Millennium is a much smaller ship than the Equinox. I have never heard of anybody having this problem on either style of ship.

I have been on both ships multiple times, and have actually stayed in this cabin with no problem.

If you are prone to motion sickness, generally the lower the deck, the less you will feel motion. We have found that rooms far forward are also more prone to motion. I have never noticed vibration near the funnel. If your room on 7 is far forward, a mid ship room on 9 would be preferable IMO.

Bring motion sickness pills and enjoy your cruise.

Hello

I am new to cruising having avoided this as I get travel sick. I used a travel agent and she suggested an upgrade to cabin 9226. I have since been told to avoid anywhere near the funnel as I will hear the engine and feel a vibration. Is this so? Can anyone advise me as it’s a lot of money and I’m considering cancelling.

Many thanks

Joy

If you can travel by any other means, you'll be fine. There's less noise and vibration on a cruise ship than on any other mode of travel, by far.

Thank you that is really reassuring. :)

9266 is an angled balcony on the forward angle of the "hump". It is considered one of the very best balcony rooms, and is well forward of the funnels (not that I've ever heard the complaint you originally asked about anyway). The blank space on the diagram is actually a crew service area. You can see it's not any mechanical function (not even a service elevator) by looking a the deck plans for decks 4 and 5, and you'll see that on those decks that space is a public area.

You can also look at an exterior photo of the ship. You'll see a portion midship that is wider. This is the "hump". Your cabin is on the forward portion of the hump. You can see the funnels are well behind that area.

You've upgraded to one of the most desirable rooms on the ship, because it will have a much larger than normal balcony. You'll have a fantastic cruise.

Perhaps your cousin is on the cruise with you, and hoping to trick you into switching rooms. :)

Harris

Denver, CO

Hello

I am new to cruising having avoided this as I get travel sick. I used a travel agent and she suggested an upgrade to cabin 9226.

Joy

You actually refer to two cabins 9226 in the post and 9266 in the title, neither are near the funnels.

I have encountered severe vibration problems on S class ships rear of the center elevators (still confused about what the 'funnel' is). Have not had that anywhere else on the ships, and I have sailed Celebrity 35 times.

To the OP, here's my story. I took my first cruise in 1982 on my honeymoon, had awful seas, lived on Dramamine and said I would never cruise again. Here it is 2017, I have more than 40 cruises under my belt and 7 more planned. There have been a few times I have felt less than 100% on ships even with medicine and other remedies (search these boards for ALOT of helpful seasickness tips), but I would never in a million years have cruised so much again if it was not well worth it. Modern ships are much larger, with good stabilization systems. Medicine (if needed) helps a lot as do the other suggestions you will find. Enjoy your cruise!

I have encountered severe vibration problems on S class ships rear of the center elevators (still confused about what the 'funnel' is). Have not had that anywhere else on the ships, and I have sailed Celebrity 35 times.

!

Remember the vibrations on C class ships in the MDR when the ship was entering or leaving port? Darn near walked the silverware off the table!

Thank you for your kind reply. We are in front of the elevators. Is Equinox an S line ship? Joy

Joy,

The "S" refers to Solstice Class; so the Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse, Silhouette and Reflection are all "S Class" ships Same hull and basically the same floor plan).

"M" is the Millennium class: The Millennium, the Summit, The Constellation and the Infinty.

The "C" (Century) class ship are all gone now. The were the Century, the Mercury and the Galaxy.

Soon we will have the Edge class ships, the first being the Edge, then at least one more similar.

Harris

Denver, CO