Pacific Star - disaster

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:01 PM.
Brisbane
4,730 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Originally posted by karmac
Maybe the fact that there was "plenty of controlling" going on was partly the reason for no bad beahviour.
Having said that, on my cruise where security probably wasn't as tight as it is now (although I considered it to be adequate) there was still no unruly behaviour.
And Kath, I appreciate your honest opinion of your cruise, as you said, these boards are here to discuss cruises, positive & negative aspects. I guess your biggest problem was the fact that you have cruised luxury liners previously but as someone pointed out, you knew when booking that you were going on a 3* cruise not a 5* and therefore should have been prepared for less luxury.
Although I have not sailed on luxury liners before I don't really have any inclination to in the future.I much prefer the less formal, more casual way of holidaying.

Karen
I agree Karen, and I for one am not critiscising anyones reviews (I hope I haven't come across that way) - but I do think it's difficult to compare Pacific Star to Grandeur of the Seas (for example) as they are two completely different ships aimed at two completely different cruise markets.

Like you Karen - we last cruised before the security crackdowns in the wake of the Dianne Brimble inquiry - so we haven't really experienced this, but I believe P&O are only doing what they've been pressured by certain areas of the media in this country to do, so that they can retain their passengers and keep cruising. It's an unfortunate fact of life that we live in a society where the media can make or break things - and at the moment they seem out to break P&O.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Christmas & New Year South Pacific (12 nights)

__________________________________________________ ___

Pacific Sky, Pacific Star (2), Pacific Sun (5), Pacific Dawn (4), Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl (2), Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Solstice, Rhapsody of the Seas, Aurora (2)
Liverpool NSW
7,018 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Originally posted by Skyrules
I agree Karen, and I for one am not critiscising anyones reviews (I hope I haven't come across that way) - but I do think it's difficult to compare Pacific Star to Grandeur of the Seas (for example) as they are two completely different ships aimed at two completely different cruise markets.

Like you Karen - we last cruised before the security crackdowns in the wake of the Dianne Brimble inquiry - so we haven't really experienced this, but I believe P&O are only doing what they've been pressured by certain areas of the media in this country to do, so that they can retain their passengers and keep cruising. It's an unfortunate fact of life that we live in a society where the media can make or break things - and at the moment they seem out to break P&O.
Whilst I think that the security on our cruise was adequate I do not have a problem with P&O adding extra security, whether it be in the form of guards, cameras etc. After all, I have nothing to hide and I think the only people that would object are the ones that do have something to hide.
Also, when it comes to "comparing", I don't think any ship should be compared as far as "crimes" go because as it has been pointed out before, all cruise lines are subject to this and RCI appears to be one of the worst (yes I know they have more ships than P&O Aust). As far as P&O Aust goes, the Brimble case was an isolated incident and unfortunately that particular cruise had 8 b******s on board that have given P&O a bad name. Let's hope they can regain their credit so that we Aussies have many more years of cruising ahead of us.

Karen
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

Good friends are worth more than money in the bank - that's what I always say

*SS Australis-Sydney to Southampton-28th July -31st August 1975
*Tss Fairstar-Coral Sea Cruise-6th September-22nd September 1986
*Pacific Sun-N611-2nd April-13th April 2006
*Pacific Dawn-W735-9th November-23rd November 2007
*Pacific Dawn-W909-20th March-6th April 2009
*Pacific Dawn-W929-21st Oct-31st Oct 2009
*Pacific Jewel-J029-22nd Sept-30th Sept 2010
*Pacific Jewel-J030-30th Sept-10th Oct 2010
*Rhapsody Of The Seas-3rd Feb-6th Feb 2012
*Pacific Sun-N211-17th Mar-19th Mar 2012
*Pacific Pearl-P225-20th-23rd July 2012
*Pacific Pearl-P233-5th-8th Oct 2012
*Pacific Pearl-P324-8th-17th July 2013
*Voyager Of The Seas-10th-13th January 2014
*Celebrity Solstice-17th-20th January 2014
*Pacific Jewel-30th May-2nd June 2014
*Radiance Of The Seas-22nd Sept-11th Oct 2014
*Pacific Pearl-20th July-3rd August 2015
*Pacific Pearl-4th Sept-7th Sept 2015
*Pacific Aria-23rd May-3rd June 2016

44 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
I'm assumung you were on the same cruise as us [July 1]. We had a wonderful time and had no problem with any of the crew or the state of the ship. We weren't expecting a "luxury" ship but a "fun" ship and that's exactly how we found it. The extra security cameras were appreciated, especially as we had three children with us. The only time I heard of people being redirected to other seats were children sitting in the front rows of the show lounge. Given the risque [but very entertaining] nature of the shows, I thought this was entirely appropriate. As for being served at the buffet, in light of the number of people coughing, I was pleased with this extra hygiene measure. Especially after witnessing several people refusing to use the sanitiser before helping themselves to the buffet. I cannot comment on the refusal to serve drinks, as this was not an issue for us. However there were several large groups on board, and a couple of these groups were very loud. I would presume that P&O were trying to avoid any more criticism of out of control passengers, especially in light of the tragic Brimble case. It was a school holiday cruise, and as a mother, I was very pleased with the family friendly approach. We would go again tomorrow!
Brisbane
4,730 Posts
Joined Jul 2005
Goes to show that everyone's opinion is different - here we have two different views of the same cruise.

Thanks Bomber for sharing your views.

Kym
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Christmas & New Year South Pacific (12 nights)

__________________________________________________ ___

Pacific Sky, Pacific Star (2), Pacific Sun (5), Pacific Dawn (4), Pacific Jewel, Pacific Pearl (2), Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Solstice, Rhapsody of the Seas, Aurora (2)
Australia
170 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
It has been interesting reading the various positive and negative reviews of the P&O Australia cruising experience. I'm not meaning to criticise anyone here (after all, the holiday is what you choose and make of it) but there is no way we would consider a cruise on the local ships for ourselves or our children. When we sailed Diamond Princess recently, our children had a wonderful experience and we all had a great holiday and met some interesting people from all over the world.
91 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by KathR
There are 2 pools, both of which were filled with freezing cold sea water,
No pool on any cruise ship is ever filled with sea water. For a start the corrosion on the pumps from the salt water would be too much, let alone all the health and safety issues.
Tarzana (San Fernando Valley), CA
4,808 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Heads !!!!
No pool on any cruise ship is ever filled with sea water. For a start the corrosion on the pumps from the salt water would be too much, let alone all the health and safety issues.
Although I have no idea how it's done, many ships have saltwater pools on board. I can't speak for P&O specifically.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Walt
(Walt Tuthill)
Cruise Critic Message Board Host

To contact me, [email protected]
91 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by Host Walt
Although I have no idea how it's done, many ships have saltwater pools on board.
Salt water maybe (although I have never come across it on any of the ships I've sailed on) but a swimming pool needs all sorts of hygeine treatment so they wouldn't just scoop water out of the sea and put it in the pool. Pools are regularly tested for disease and cleanliness so using just seawater wouldn't be an option.
Tarzana (San Fernando Valley), CA
4,808 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Heads !!!!
Salt water maybe (although I have never come across it on any of the ships I've sailed on) but a swimming pool needs all sorts of hygeine treatment so they wouldn't just scoop water out of the sea and put it in the pool. Pools are regularly tested for disease and cleanliness so using just seawater wouldn't be an option.
Seawater, no. Salt water yes.

Again I have no idea about the process but I'm quite sure the saltwater in pools would be created on board, not brought in from the ocean. And for the very reasons you cite; hygiene and health.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Host Walt
(Walt Tuthill)
Cruise Critic Message Board Host

To contact me, [email protected]
10 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Sorry, it was salty water, and not sea water...but it was very cold...and salty.

I'm not the only person who is unhappy about the standard of this cruise, but obviously those other people don't post on this board.

Our friends on the cruise were on deck 5 (we were on 7), and they were lucky if their cabin had been made up before dinner!

Our cabin bin contained 2 used cotton buds and the head of a disposable razor....yuk!

We enjoyed our cruise because we were there with some very good friends. The entertainment was superb, but sadly the accommodation and food was very average, in my opinion.

The good thing about boards like this is that you get a diverse range of opinions to allow each and every one of us to make their own minds up.

I personally wouldn't travel again with P&O. If you like informal, then try NCL's freestyle cruising. We travelled to Alaska last year on the Norwegian Spirit. It was outstanding...took the posh frock with us, but way too relaxed to be bothered. That's the great thing about this ship...so much choice and very few rules. Nine restaurants, five of which are included in the cruise price.

Enjoy your holidays....
Kath
Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia
268 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Our cabin bin contained 2 used cotton buds and the head of a disposable razor....yuk!
On a recent trip to Melbourne, I stayed in a very expensive, 5 star hotel. Upon entering the room, I found rubbish still in the bin and crumbs on the table. So, if it can be overlooked in a place like that, it can be overlooked anywhere. I simply called the desk and had it fixed.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
First cruise 19th to 29th August 2006
R627 - Pacific Star "Island Indulgance"
147 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
I believe that Australia's P&O ships are fantastic. Please if you are considering going on a cruise, don't change your mind because of negative reviews.As others have said it is what you make of the cruise! It really depends what kind of holiday you want.

I have always found great service, beautiful food, clean rooms, excellent shows and stunning and interesting different islands. P&O Cruises Australia is great and not at all bad like others have suggested. Also I find it hard to believe that the food could be average or like canteen food. I love the food. it is one of the reasons I enjoy cruising!

People can make up their own minds but I believe you can't really judge until you have been on Pacific Sun or Star.

Anyway, everyone's entitled to their own opinions and i hope people will want to cruise with P&O still.
Liverpool NSW
7,018 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
I agree with you strawberrypatch. I had only one complaint about our cruise & that was it wasn't long enough. The cabin couldn't have been any cleaner, the food absolutely fabulous and the serice impeccable but at the same time casual & relaxing. I know there are cruise lines out there that offer more but from the impression I get they are not as relaxing & informal as P&O Aust. Many other cruise lines casual nights are like our formal nights. Not my idea of a holiday but I know it appeals to many others. I also think that as far as a family holiday is concerned, the more casual the better. And P&O Aust certainly cater for families and as I have no intention of holidaying without my kids until they are "off our hands", P&O Aust suits us just fine. Would also like to add that at the time we booked our last cruise they were the only ones that catered for a family with 3 children. That alone gets a big thumbs up from me.

KAren
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

147 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
[quote=karmac]I agree with you strawberrypatch. I had only one complaint about our cruise & that was it wasn't long enough. The cabin couldn't have been any cleaner, the food absolutely fabulous and the serice impeccable but at the same time casual & relaxing. I know there are cruise lines out there that offer more but from the impression I get they are not as relaxing & informal as P&O Aust. Many other cruise lines casual nights are like our formal nights. Not my idea of a holiday but I know it appeals to many others. I also think that as far as a family holiday is concerned, the more casual the better. And P&O Aust certainly cater for families and as I have no intention of holidaying without my kids until they are "off our hands", P&O Aust suits us just fine. Would also like to add that at the time we booked our last cruise they were the only ones that catered for a family with 3 children. That alone gets a big thumbs up from me.

Karen QUOTE

I agree with you Karmac, the beauty to me of cruising with P&O Aust is the casual and fun environment on board the ship. I'm the same, I wouldn't want to cruise on a ship that is formal all the time.

]
10 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Hi Guys,

Where do you get the impression that other cruise ships are 'formal all the time'?

That certainly isn't my impression....

...and with P&O, on formal night you have to go formal or have the buffet (canteen food), or pay in the only other restaurant..

On any other cruise ship I have been on, there have been many choices....and no need to take posh frock if you don't want to...

Enjoy the Pacific Sun/Star...but also know that there are other cruise ships out there offering much more choice on new ships, with flexible dining, great entertainment ...and kids clubs....

Hey have fun....but don't dismiss what else is out there...

Kath
Liverpool NSW
7,018 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Hi Guys,

Where do you get the impression that other cruise ships are 'formal all the time'?

That certainly isn't my impression....

...and with P&O, on formal night you have to go formal or have the buffet (canteen food), or pay in the only other restaurant..

On any other cruise ship I have been on, there have been many choices....and no need to take posh frock if you don't want to...

Enjoy the Pacific Sun/Star...but also know that there are other cruise ships out there offering much more choice on new ships, with flexible dining, great entertainment ...and kids clubs....

Hey have fun....but don't dismiss what else is out there...

Kath
Well firstly the impression about how formal other ships are I get on these boards. Secondly, you DON'T have to be formal on P&O. You can go to dinner casual on formal nights if you like. Thirdly, there is no buffet for dinner on P&O (certainly wasn't on my cruise anyway).
I know there are other choices out there if I want to travel to another country to cruise & believe me there is nothing more that I want than a cruise to the Scandinavian Fjords but as a family of 5 living on 1 income we don't have a lot of choice and I'm very happy with the choice we have.

Karen.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

91 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
That is simply not true.

Yeah, sad how standards are slipping on the other lines.
Melbourne
107 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Hey guys, just a word from someone who has never been on a cruise and is very much looking forward to it.

We are on the Pacific Sun end of August. Reading so much on the boards is great and you do get a fair idea of what to expect - a BIG thankyou to all for all the "silly" questions we may ask.

Now from what I understand is that the P&O ships here may not be in the lap of luxury cruising but nonetheless are still very good, and from what 99.9% have said are very up to standards. Yes I know they are not the newest ships and possibly may look a bit tired to those who have sailed in the newest and the best but they are what we have here and it seems you are all having a great time - ISN"T THAT WHAT IT"S ALL ABOUT!!!

We get on them to enjoy and it doesn't really matter how dressed up you get or how many restaurants there are or if the food wasn't 6 star - there are places you go for these things and I don't think anyone is kidding themselves that our ships are 5 star.

I did a lot of research beforehand and am daily talking of cruises in my line of work. I love to eat out and we often do it in style and we stay in nice places AND I am SO looking forward to this cruise cause it WILL be great, I will make it great. I think less negativity in thought would go a long way to enjoying a cruise
10 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Absolutely fine....and pleased that you are all happy with the Pacific Star.

I won't bother to post any of my opinions or findings in future, as they seem to be not wanted..or taken on board...that's fine...I was merely trying to add value to a discussion, with another dimension maybe.

I don't live in a world of make-believe. I am a Mother of 3 year old and have a career which is full on and full-time.

From my experience of other cruise lines, I found the Pacific Star very disappointing. To me, these issues were such that we made the decision not to cruise with P&O again.

Enjoy the Pacific Star and I will keep my mouth shut and enjoy the cruises I feel that meet the standard.

Happy cruising,

Kath
575 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by mystte
Hey guys, just a word from someone who has never been on a cruise and is very much looking forward to it.

We are on the Pacific Sun end of August. Reading so much on the boards is great and you do get a fair idea of what to expect - a BIG thankyou to all for all the "silly" questions we may ask.

Now from what I understand is that the P&O ships here may not be in the lap of luxury cruising but nonetheless are still very good, and from what 99.9% have said are very up to standards. Yes I know they are not the newest ships and possibly may look a bit tired to those who have sailed in the newest and the best but they are what we have here and it seems you are all having a great time - ISN"T THAT WHAT IT"S ALL ABOUT!!!

We get on them to enjoy and it doesn't really matter how dressed up you get or how many restaurants there are or if the food wasn't 6 star - there are places you go for these things and I don't think anyone is kidding themselves that our ships are 5 star.

I did a lot of research beforehand and am daily talking of cruises in my line of work. I love to eat out and we often do it in style and we stay in nice places AND I am SO looking forward to this cruise cause it WILL be great, I will make it great. I think less negativity in thought would go a long way to enjoying a cruise
Well said, Mystte, and you will have a great time on the Sun, unless illness bugs you, I cannot understand how anyone would not enjoy themselves. Keep your positive attitude and you will love it!