Wind Star

Kerfos

Just got back from the Jewels of the Windward Islands on the Wind Star. Just have to say how much we loved it!! I was a little worried about not having a balcony.......but the ship is so small that just up one flight of steps and you can be outside. The ship never seemed crowded. The food was awesome and the service was out of this world, the social director was the best I have ever seen.

Due to a super moon it was a bit wavy on the first day and I did feel a little sea sick....but still managed to eat dinner. The waves eased up the next day. Other than Grenada we loved every port...they are small and other than private boats mooring...we where the only ship in port or should I say harbor.....since most of these small islands we tendered in.

Any question just let me know I would be glad to answer them....we will definitely use this company again....I think it would be hard to go back to a big cruise ship

We are on the windstar March 25,2017

And are also worried about no balcony...good to hear you didn't miss it.

Is there a sea day between st.lucia and Grenada ?

Also did you do any tours or excursions?

What did you use for sea sickness ... Dramamine?

Thanks so much

Glad you enjoyed this cruise, I'll be aboard on Saturday, second time with Windstar/ Wind Surf in northern Europe Were you able to snorkel and was the sports deck in use often? Also what time did you disembark at cruises end. Thanks for the post

Azamara gives out meclizine (a Bonine and Antivert generic) at the guest reception desk on request. Does Windstar do something like this?

Yes, they do. When it gets bad, they will also have green apples. And we found this cruise to be extremely rough, especially the first and last day (this was in December). I think we all took Dramamine every day.

The sport platform was open several times. You can snorkel at any of the stops; just go to a beach. You need to be off the ship around 9:00 a.m. when you disembark.

russandcheryl, your itinerary will show you that when you leave Pigeon Island, you spend the next day at sea until you reach Grenada. Also, you will leave Bequia early afternoon, and be at sea until you return to Barbados.

Edited by 6rugrats

I too have a tendency for sea sickness. When we were in Tahiti on Windstar this past May, we went through an area where many were sick. I used the pressure point wrist bands and ginger, and did not get sick. I always thought those were bogus, but now am a firm believer in them. You don't get the side effects with them like you do with Dramamine or scopalamine.

Yes, they do. When it gets bad, they will also have green apples. And we found this cruise to be extremely rough, especially the first and last day (this was in December). I think we all took Dramamine every day.

The sport platform was open several times. You can snorkel at any of the stops; just go to a beach. You need to be off the ship around 9:00 a.m. when you disembark.

russandcheryl, your itinerary will show you that when you leave Pigeon Island, you spend the next day at sea until you reach Grenada. Also, you will leave Bequia early afternoon, and be at sea until you return to Barbados.

That makes it a lot clearer... Thank you

Just did this cruise as well and wanted to add: I can't remember if it's indicated clearly somewhere in the itinerary, but when you see an "overnight" at St. Lucia, it doesn't mean you can come and go at all hours. The last tender was at 5:45 pm or so as I recall. Not that there's a ton of stuff to do at Pigeon Island, but if you were planning to do an independent excursion, for example, and expected to get back on the ship at 8 pm, you would be in for a surprise.

I too have a tendency for sea sickness. When we were in Tahiti on Windstar this past May, we went through an area where many were sick. I used the pressure point wrist bands and ginger, and did not get sick. I always thought those were bogus, but now am a firm believer in them. You don't get the side effects with them like you do with Dramamine or scopalamine.

Me too!

We have a sprouts. Maybe I will try there

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Don't they give out candied ginger on Windstar when the outlook is for rough seas? On Azamara it's at the guest reception desk and outside every restaurant. Should be no reason to take it with you.

Don't they give out candied ginger on Windstar when the outlook is for rough seas? On Azamara it's at the guest reception desk and outside every restaurant. Should be no reason to take it with you.

I have never sailed windstar. We did starclippers last year and the weather was rough but I did not get seasick. Not sure how it will affect my daughter.

I've never seen candied ginger given out on Windstar.

Maybe you can google it :).

Ha ha! I've got a bag of it in my kitchen. Got it at Marshalls, so if you have one of those where you live, you might check there for it.

I thought you were kidding when you asked what ginger was, and didn't mean to answer rudely.

We are on this same itinerary in March 2017 and don't really like the idea of excursions. We want to have beach time and use the water toys, snorkel, paddleboards, ect. We don't want to spend hours traversing across bumpy roads or time on other boats to get somewhere. We don't mind a 30 minute walk to something worthwhile.

Were there any ports that an excursion was actually necessary?

Are there decent snorkeling sites from any of the ports without excursions? We are more into reefs as opposed to wrecks or man made objects on the bottom.

Thanks so much for the quick posting after your trip. We got our docs yesterday and starting to get pumped!

Michael

Ha ha! I've got a bag of it in my kitchen. Got it at Marshalls, so if you have one of those where you live, you might check there for it.

I thought you were kidding when you asked what ginger was, and didn't mean to answer rudely.

I found it funny :). I don't google much.

• 1 month later...
I found it funny :). I don't google much.

You can buy ginger root in the produce dept of the grocery store and I think it may come in pill form. You can buy it picked as well, the same stuff you get on your plate with sushi. In Pensacola, FL, where I live, we are the home of the Navy Blue Angels. They chew it and give it to the media that go up with them in the jets to keep from being sick.

Also found the wrist bands to be very effective. Never had to take ginger but have it on hand just in case.