Last Minute Cancellation - HELP

eyoreblu

Ugh, we are a group of 6 with 3 cabins. Leaving Sunday from Ft. Lauderdale. One of the people in our group has thrown out her back and can not come. She had insurance so that part is ok, feel so bad for her. The other person in her cabin wants to come still but she had separate insurance and they don't think they will pay the supplement if charged since it wasn't the same policy. Booked separate policies so each could pay their own amount. I am so worried that Princess is going to want to charge the supplemental and she cannot afford that!!! Has anyone had any experience with this??? I was told they might waive it???

All passengers have separate policies. Every one pays their own premium, family or not, cabin mates or not.

Now if the actual issue is that they bought different policies from different sources, that doesn't matter either. If the policy of the person who will sail as a single states they are covered when a cabin mate cancels for a covered reason, it does not matter if the person cancelling has different insurance or none at all. They will be reimbursed for any fare increase.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Would like to correct the statement that everyone has their own policy and pays their own premium. The policy my husband and I get is one policy for the two of us and one premium.

I do agree with the statement about why would there be a single supplement. Princess already has their money. Your single friend should be good to go!

My suggestion is to call Princess to confirm this.

They need to contact Princess and their insurance company. Princess is not going to refund anything on a person who is to sail in 4 days, so they are going to keep that fare. Are they ALSO going to charge the 100% supplement on the person who is in that cabin? The policy on this depends on the cruise line, but frankly it strikes me as wrong that Princess would receive 3 cruise fares when 1 person is cruising. (person who canceled, person who is cruising, 100% supplement). Yes, Princess will refund the port taxes, but that part is irrelevant to this discussion.

And then, if Princess is imposing the single supplement, the person needs to contact her insurance company to see whether this is a covered situation.

As above, each person has their own insurance coverage, regardless of how it was purchased. Right--my daughter and I are named on one policy, but each individual is covered separately. If she were to be unable to cruise for medical issues, I'd be covered if I chose to not cruise in order to be with her or if I chose to cruise and was charged more as a solo. It is certainly easier if they are from the same company, but that isn't necessary. I purchase my travel insurance thru my TA--same price as the same company and amount if purchased on line. They have an insurance person in their office who has been a great help when we've needed to file a claim. I'm not saying that your TA will be helpful as ultimately it is an issue for the company, but it should be covered.

I think it is well past time to get on the phne to Princess and the nsurance company. Of course if no one tells Princess about the cancellation and the other person just shows up for the cruise then there might not be a problem. The njured person would just be a no show which I am sure happens occasionally.

Of course if no one tells Princess about the cancellation and the other person just shows up for the cruise then there might not be a problem. The njured person would just be a no show which I am sure happens occasionally.

That thought also crossed my mind.

Sure hope someone calls Princess. Would love to hear how this is resolved

Since this is in the 100% penalty point, Princess will not refund anything. If she calls, they may charge her the single supplement, but use the payment of her roommate. The reimbursement is between the roommate and her insurance.

As said before, I can't see how they would change a third fare.

So this is clear as mud. Insurance is with third party insurance. Called Princess, and no additional supplement for the single passenger, they just move the money over like someone suggested, will refund port fees and taxes. BUT since the cruise is not actually cancelled they cannot issue a statement with the penalty so the person who cannot go may not be able to get reimbursed for their insurance. They said I could email customer relations and ask for a breakdown and it would be up to the insurance company if they reimburse or not. Heavy sigh.

Leslie

So this is clear as mud. Insurance is with third party insurance. Called Princess, and no additional supplement for the single passenger, they just move the money over like someone suggested, will refund port fees and taxes. BUT since the cruise is not actually cancelled they cannot issue a statement with the penalty so the person who cannot go may not be able to get reimbursed for their insurance. They said I could email customer relations and ask for a breakdown and it would be up to the insurance company if they reimburse or not. Heavy sigh.

Leslie

This is a sad & difficult situation. But it isn't your fault. And if your friend doesn't get reimbursed, it's because it isn't a covered reason and also, there is usually a 48 hour time frame prior to sailing.

But with Fri. & Sat., IF she calls ins. today & her reason is covered, maybe she'll get reimbursed.

Ugh, we are a group of 6 with 3 cabins. Leaving Sunday from Ft. Lauderdale. One of the people in our group has thrown out her back and can not come. She had insurance so that part is ok, feel so bad for her. The other person in her cabin wants to come still but she had separate insurance and they don't think they will pay the supplement if charged since it wasn't the same policy. Booked separate policies so each could pay their own amount. I am so worried that Princess is going to want to charge the supplemental and she cannot afford that!!! Has anyone had any experience with this??? I was told they might waive it???

What has the person that cannot go done about their insurance? Have they contacted their insurance carrier to find out what they need to do to get reimbursed? Wouldn't they have to cancel with the cruiseline in order to get reimbursed? If they have to do that that is when the single supplement for the other passenger might come into play.

I wish Pam from CA would chime in. I think I've heard her advise to not pre-notify Princess, just show up and say that the cabin-mate will not be sailing (and Princess is whole since they already have both payments). So, they won't try to impose the single supplement. Then, the person who couldn't cruise due to her back can file her insurance claim with a doctor's note about her back issue.

Leslie

OK, but that is part of an answer--the person who IS cruising is covered. The next things you will need is a copy of the invoice for the cruise showing the name of the person who is canceling for medical reasons and documentation from the doctor or hospital proving that she was/is unable to cruise for medical reasons. NOTE--just "she messed up her back" isn't going to do it. You'll either need proof that she was in a hospital or other facility or a note from the doc specifically saying "NOT ABLE TO CRUISE" ...or as strongly as they will word it. Also, a copy of Princess' cancelation policy, which should be on the invoice.

You already have a statement of the penalty--it is printed right on the invoice with dates and the amount involved.

I wish Pam from CA would chime in. I think I've heard her advise to not pre-notify Princess, just show up and say that the cabin-mate will not be sailing (and Princess is whole since they already have both payments). So, they won't try to impose the single supplement. Then, the person who couldn't cruise due to her back can file her insurance claim with a doctor's note about her back issue.
The above only works if the canceling person does not have insurance OR if they are canceling for a non-covered reason. If the person wishes to use their insurance they must call and cancel within the time limits of their policy. Being a no-show is not a realistic option in this case if anyone plans to be reimbursed by their insurance.

Just to clarify .. the cruise wasn't/isn't cancelled. The passenger cancelled.

Correct--the insurance company may need proof that the passenger canceled her booking on the cruise.

When I have canceled. whether thru the cruise line directly or thru a TA, I have received an invoice showing the refund and zero balance. I would think that this document would satisfy the insurance company as it will show the date of the cancelation of the reservation as well as the refund of the taxes and government fees (although it might show this as "pending.") If the person chooses to be a "no show" rather than canceling, I don't believe insurances will cover...but again, you have to read the fine print on the policy involved.

Bottom line--the ill/injured passenger or her TA if one was used needs to take care of the cancelation right away. Then you get to work on the insurance bit. My private insurance allowed 90 days from "incident" to initiate a claim, but the coverage from my credit card only allows 7 days.

I know you are trying to be helpful, but this likely needs to be an issue handled by the non-sailing passenger and her TA.

Edited by moki'smommy