Cruise travel tips & secrets

Despite the weight (and it's a consideration b/c we have to fly to every port), I always bring my travelling medicine-woman kit. It contains something for: sea-motion sickness; blisters; colds; heartburn; sunburn; headache; really bad but not life threatening pain (Tylenol 3 or 222s); the green-apple quick-step; or, by contrast constipation; various stick-on bandages that will hold together any wound that doesn't need stitches; and an anti-bacterial cream. As I am a woman with a v-jay-jay, I also bring something for itchy-twitchy.

Why? The cost of buying these things on-board is exorbitant. And ashore, if you can even find what you are looking for, the instructions on the package may not be in your own language, and the price might be crazy.

I don't bring large quantities of any of these things. If my travelling companion is so bad off that I run out of something, it's time to see the doc and pay the price.

• Haha 1

Despite the weight (and it's a consideration b/c we have to fly to every port), I always bring my travelling medicine-woman kit. It contains something for: sea-motion sickness; blisters; colds; heartburn; sunburn; headache; really bad but not life threatening pain (Tylenol 3 or 222s); the green-apple quick-step; or, by contrast constipation; various stick-on bandages that will hold together any wound that doesn't need stitches; and an anti-bacterial cream. As I am a woman with a v-jay-jay, I also bring something for itchy-twitchy.

Why? The cost of buying these things on-board is exorbitant. And ashore, if you can even find what you are looking for, the instructions on the package may not be in your own language, and the price might be crazy.

I don't bring large quantities of any of these things. If my travelling companion is so bad off that I run out of something, it's time to see the doc and pay the price.

I admit that I had to google "green apple quick step".

I have back issues so I add a few oxy to that list & a small bottle of aloe for sunburn.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
What's the maximum amount "allowed" and by what authority?

Last I knew there wasn't really a defined limit on how much you could bring back. You just might have to pay duty on the bottles above the duty-free quantity. (not talking about quantities to stock a store with here, they might give you grief if you bring twenty cases through on a fold-up flatbed cart)

When we purchased alcohol there was a small fee charged on over the limit. But most of the time, we were not charged the whole amount.. Liquor can get very heavy to carry home also. .

• 3 weeks later...
We travel with a four inch flashlight called a black light (ultraviolet). I inspect every room for bugs and cleanliness. All you do is turn off the lights, turn on your flashlight, look around and be surprised. I look very closely at mattresses where bedbugs thrive. we also use a solution of chlorine and water (store bought) and spray every thing I can think of. We are not nuts. I just don't like getting sick and spoiling our trip. Happy travels.

Have you ever found any issues on cruises?

Okay.. I am obsessive compulsive when packing for a cruise. Over the years, although I STILL over pack, I have gotten my weeks STUFF down to a garment bag, a suiter, 1 carryon (unless the hubby wants SHOES or we decide to bring snorkel gear, then sometimes 2 carryons) and two backpacks.

So...the issue I always have is SHAMPOO, when flying. So, I use ziplocks. Shampoo all over the place, busting out of the ziplock... next time... TWO ziplocks. Shampoo still explodes in the plane, but confined to second ziplock.

This time... my FOODSAVER!!!!!! EUREKA! Put the ziplock in the foodsaver & suck out the air. Now THAT is packing for a cruise.:D

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

Have you ever found any issues on cruises?

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

You don't use the ship's shampoo? I use it every day with no issues. The liquids I bring are 1 travel size bottle of dish soap (after having a drinking glass with lip prints on it on embarkation day and on another cruise with chunky stuff (dried soap?) in a glass, we wash all of our glasses before use. I also bring a small spray bottle of lens cleaner for glasses and camera lenses. Both are in zip lock bags.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We usually drive down the day before our cruise and spend the night in a hotel- I bring the extra paper cups(-I do not like to use the glasses in the bathroom either-too close to the toilet)-usually wrapped in plastic-and any left over stuff-shampoo-soap-lotion-some even have small packs q-tips- to the ship- I usually save this stuff also when we travel during the year-and bring it along-also if I get free samples in the mail-etc. Can leave what is left over, throw it away-or bring home for another cruise!

• 1 month later...

A money saving idea especially for Disney Cruises (or even land vacas) for those with young kids ... (but it could be adapted to non-Disney travel as well)

Buy 'souvenir' items in advance from the Disney Outlet or a local Disney store ... keep them hidden from the kids and their favorite character or Princess can leave them (not really ... but ala the Toothfairy m.o.) for them while they sleep.

We took my daughter and her best friend on a Disney trip when they were nine and they were thrilled when each night they received a treat and a note from a different princess (and Stitch! ... this was about 10 yrs ago) .... and it cost me pennies on the dollar of what things would have cost from the gift shops. The first night, princess night gowns ... the next night, sports bottles ... one night coloring books, etc. all bought online on clearance from the Disney Outlet with discount codes, etc.

Read a hint to pack $1 store rafts. Don't take up much space at all. Beats paying $15 each to rent a raft at some beaches

And good Karma ... if you don't want to keep up with the raft at the end of your beach day ... just offer it to a family who didn't bring any inflatables. :D I haven't done this while cruising, but have done it on normal vacations, and it's amazing how much it seems to make someone's day to be given a $1 pool/beach toy. They get to enjoy it ... I don't have to lug it around or feel bad about tossing it in the trash! :)

This is a tip for anyone who goes swimming alone

When we went to Honolulu I knew my husband would go to see Pearl Harbour while i wanted to snorkel at Queens beach, so would be swimming alone

. So in the weeks before the cruise I sewed a small zipped cotton pocket into the breast of my swimsuit, the pocket being big enough to hold my credit card, driving license (as photo ID in lieu of passport) and ship cruise card, making sure a small flap of material covered the end of the zip to make it comfortable.

It doesn't matter if these cards get wet while swimming, so you can leave your towel and clothes on the beach and there are no valuables to steal. Such a zipped pocket could easily be sewn into a man's swimming trunks too.

I had plenty of time but I guess if you had buses or trains to catch you might also want to wear a waterproof watch to keep an eye on the time, so no valuables are left on the beach.

On another trip, I also put currency notes in the swimsuit pocket inside a knotted plastic bag but the bag leaked a bit as I hadn't knotted tightly enough, though the damp notes were entirely useable.

I always pack a pillowcase in my flight carry-on bag for long haul flights. Then when I get hot on the plane I can take my jacket off and put it in the pillowcase as a comfy neck support till end of the flight- much more comfy than the inflatable neck supports.

Edited by bunny76
additional tip
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
We travel with a four inch flashlight called a black light (ultraviolet). I inspect every room for bugs and cleanliness. All you do is turn off the lights, turn on your flashlight, look around and be surprised. I look very closely at mattresses where bedbugs thrive. we also use a solution of chlorine and water (store bought) and spray every thing I can think of. We are not nuts. I just don't like getting sick and spoiling our trip. Happy travels.
Serious question: What would you do if you found bedbugs? You'd already have boarded, and it's unlikely that they'd have another room into which you could move.

I have a Medicine Bag I never travel without it as it's always packed and ready to go. I use a small cosmetic bag and fill it with band aids, the free medicine packets you some times get (also ask your Dr. if they have any small free samples of pain relief gel or creams) and keep all in one place just for your travel needs. You can use the small tins from Altoids to put any medicines you can't find in smaller sizes (works great for pills). Just be sure if you use anything that you replace when you get home so you're ready for the next time.
Though I pack light, I always bring any OTC medicines that we might need. We pack pills in a SMTWRFS pill organizer; that plus some bandaids, etc. go into a small pencil pouch -- total, we're talking about something the size of a ziplock sandwich bag.

You don't want to go to the onboard doctor for a sniffle (unless you're really sick, of course), given that he has the authority to quarantine you to your room.

One tip that hasn't been mentioned (I think) is self debarkation . If you can physically handle it , do it ! We have had 2 incidents of misplaced luggage when not doing this . You get to keep your stuff in your own cabin until you are ready to leave . So much easier . It is also an incentive to pack light . :)
I agree. Assuming you're able-bodied, it's so much easier.

. So in the weeks before the cruise I sewed a small zipped cotton pocket into the breast of my swimsuit, the pocket being big enough to hold my credit card, driving license (as photo ID in lieu of passport) and ship cruise card, making sure a small flap of material covered the end of the zip to make it comfortable.
I purposefully buy my husband swim trunks with secure pockets, and he carries both our IDs ... and I've always been sorry that no equivalent exists for ladies. I never once considered a do-it-yourself option! I think I'd first try it on an old swimsuit about which I don't care -- not my newest and nicest.

I would also add that ziplock bags are also excellent for storing/protecting a cell phone in the chance you might get wet, whether it be by the pool, hot tub, shore excursion, etc.
Yes, I love my Kindle for reading, and I keep a (clean, never-contained-food) ziplock in my pool bag. I can drop my Kindle into it, yet I can still "turn pages" through the plastic.

• 3 months later...
Oh! Thanks a lot. I had no idea! What about taking some to my cabin? Is that usually allowed?

Yes, you can take food from the buffet to the cabin. I occasionally take my breakfast from the buffet to the pool deck and eat there for peace and quiet.

Since this is a money-saving thread, here are my thoughts.

Look for souvenirs and experiences in unusual places. Grocery stores are a wonderful way to get a sense of how people live day-to-day. And you may find genuine, inexpensive souvenirs there. Pharmacies, fabric stores, and hardware stores are also really interesting.

Local buses are a great way to see how people really live and also get from place to place yourself for much less money. Do your research beforehand (Trip Advisor is great for this) to ensure it's safe and easy. Then just ride along with the locals. So far I've taken local buses in Antigua, Dominican Republic, St Vincent and Santorini and they all turned out well, were very inexpensive, and were among the most memorable travel experiences I've ever had.

One of my favorite souvenirs I bought at a hardware store in Switzerland years ago.

It is a bell for young cows. I don't know if they can still be found in hardware stores, but it is something unique to that area.

• 3 weeks later...

I take the cross packing a little further. With two suitcases, I pack exactly half of each with my clothes, half with his. This way, we both have enough for at least 5 days without the other suitcase. Came in handy in China when I got one bag 4 days late!

I take the cross packing a little further. With two suitcases, I pack exactly half of each with my clothes, half with his. This way, we both have enough for at least 5 days without the other suitcase. Came in handy in China when I got one bag 4 days late!

we use the same system, also ad a change of clothes in the hand luggage. Packig cubes make this method soooooeasy

• 4 weeks later...

I knew most of these but I'm keeping a list of all these tips! My main ones have probably been mentioned...Bring zip lock bags (quart and gallon), bring a scissors, bring an extension cord, and bring a permanent marker. I actually forgot on this trip to xerox my passport and put it in my luggage. Luckily it worked out.

I know it's just depending on your personality too but I agree with bringing along some nice clothing. My parents took me on a couple cruises as a kid and that sort of made me the way I am today about cruising...There's just something nice about dressing up more than normal at night. I try to go to the normal dining room for a late dinner instead of the buffet and wear a dress and heels. I brought 3 dresses on my 7 night cruise all which fold easily. All were wrap dresses. Took up less space than pants. On my last night at dinner, my friends and I went to the dining room. All of us were dressed nicely except for 1 in jeans. She probably didn't care though.

Shoes for me are always the trickiest with packing especially since I will usually just do the carry on thing unless it's free to check in. For my week in Alaska I had 1 pair of heels, hiking boots, sneakers, and flip flops. I always wear the larger shoes on the plane to take up less space. I guess this is more for packing in general though. In any case with heels, if you were to only one one pair, nude colored heels IMO are the way to go. I have a ton of heels in all different colors (total waste of money) and the ones I typically always wear are the nude ones.

Makeup IMO doesn't take up much space and I love my makeup. I'll usually just bring mascara, eyelash curler, foundation, blush, eyeliner, and 2 eye shadows (one for the day and for night).

Vaseline is a great underutilized cheap beauty product. I use it (at home too), I use it on my lips, to remove makeup, to help if I get any chaffing, and on my face as a moisturizer if my skin is peeling (happens once in awhile to me).

Another one for me is basically just doing a carry on (again if you have to pay the $25 each way...otherwise I would just check in a suitcase). In the event that I need to wash my clothing, I would just do the mid week thing where (and this is generalizing) you can stuff a fairly large bag and for $20 they will wash the clothing for you. I've never had to do that though. Some cruise lines do not have washers and dryers for cruisers to use. I know many people don't mind doing their own laundry in the sink and then hanging it up, but I just cannot do laundry like that on a vacation LOL.

Also I do sneak in with my luggage some a few loose cans of Diet Coke. I use the mini ones so through security it doesn't look like the standard size cans. I usually just drink the included beverages on the cruise but every now and then I prefer my Diet Coke (Diet Pepsi has always tasted flat to me). Lastly keep in your room some apples and crackers to help with motion sickness if you get it at all (along with Bonine).

We anticipate a cruise in about 5 years that will require very expensive airfare. We're saving all,our rewards points for that trip! Hopefully will have enough by also booking our hotels over the next 5 years through the airline.

We anticipate a cruise in about 5 years that will require very expensive airfare. We're saving all,our rewards points for that trip! Hopefully will have enough by also booking our hotels over the next 5 years through the airline.

Hi in 5 years many things can change.

We booked our precruise hotel thru booking dot com. Friends are using air b&b.

In 5 years so much could be different. Please be open and aware of what is going on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...