What makes a good Concierge?

Sundiego

I am glad you had a good time, but frankly the only people I want hugs from on a daily basis are my husband and kids. I would be really uncomfortable with hugs from a concierge.... is it just me?

I didn’t feel it was awkward or uncomfortable. She came across as so genuine and kind. I’m a very touchy person she must of picked up on that as she didn’t hug everyone. It was lovely. Saying goodbye at the end of the cruise was like leaving family. She was amazing. Never once did I feel she was trawling for tips, nor did I feel I was being fawned on.

We have always had great concierges except once on a cruise in Europe. I can't even remember his name now but we were told later that not long after we had him he got off the ship when it docked and when the new guest arrived he was nowhere to be found. They quickly promoted one of the butlers until they could get a replacement on board.

The story we have laughed about the most when it comes to being taken care of involved a search for the perfect coffee pot. We were in the GV and my husband wanted a Mr. Coffee type pot. We had never had trouble getting one before but on this particular cruise it was a struggle. They brought us a French press and then something that resembled a perculator. Our butler just couldn't understand what we wanted. Finally after getting in from the show on the first night the coffee pot had arrived but we realized it didn't have the correct type of plug. I was getting a little frustrated and took the pot and was going to go to the front desk and see if we could get any help. As I was exiting our room the room steward for the other GV was leaving their room. He asked if there was a problem and I explained the situation to him. He immediately told me I didn't need to go anywhere I just needed to call 911. I told him this was not an emergency to which he responded - if you aren't happy call them, that's what you are supposed to do. So I thought maybe 911 worked differently on a ship. I dialed 911 and they quickly answered and asked what my emergency was. I told them I didn't have the right kind of coffee pot. The politely told me that was not an emergency and I needed to call my butler. The next morning our concierge was there first thing to fix the problem because she had heard we had called 911 about our coffee pot. Needless to say anytime we are on a cruise now and need something the go to line is - well just call 911.

This is the best story ever!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well, sometimes it depends on many factors. It's funny because the first times we sailed with Carlos and Adrian (it was his first week or so as Concierge so we took that into account), we were not impressed with either of them. Then the next time we sailed with them they were amazing! Don't know if it was us or them that was having an off week but now we look forward to seeing them and think they're both terrific. So, I'm thinking that we always need to give someone a chance (or second chance).

Well, sometimes it depends on many factors. It's funny because the first times we sailed with Carlos and Adrian (it was his first week or so as Concierge so we took that into account), we were not impressed with either of them. Then the next time we sailed with them they were amazing! Don't know if it was us or them that was having an off week but now we look forward to seeing them and think they're both terrific. So, I'm thinking that we always need to give someone a chance (or second chance).

good point: we always like to give a second chance to whatever; anyone or thing can have a bad day.

We've been lucky and have had good service from all but one. He was the concierge on the first cruise we ever booked a suite on. He never knew who we were, never mentioned our names, lied and told us there were no reservations available when we asked to change a dinner time- we knew there were as we had seen the monitor displaying green for the time we wanted. We'd tried the reservation desk, but it didn't open until 8 am and we were headed to breakfast at Cagney's and figured we'd ask him. He didn't even check the computer, just flat out said there were no openings. Needless to say, we were able to make the change ourselves at the restaurant desk in the Atrium once it opened. He also told me early entry into Chocolate Buffet was only for suite guests - this guy had seen us every morning. Since it was our first suite, I had the letter with me and pulled it out, he just walked off. This happened on the Star and we didn't know what to expect. Funny thing is, he's one everyone raves about.

We've sailed with Elvina, Hanno, Patrick, Omar, Adrian - some of them more than once and they always know our names by the end of the cruise. Luckily, the one we were less than thrilled with didn't bother to show up for early disembarkation on the last day (he sent his assistant) and we didn't end up leaving a tip. Maybe he was unhappy, or maybe he already knew he was moving on to a bigger ship. I guess everyone can have an off week.

We had the same thing happen on Dawn for dinner reservations. Asked the concierge about 10:30 a.m. one day for two restaurants later in week and told "no" space available.

About an hour later at Cagneys for lunch asked the receptionist and magically not a problem. This particular concierge is one who also is "well" liked by many people. Other than meeting her for entrance to shows that is the only thing we asked of her all week.

We had the same thing happen on Dawn for dinner reservations. Asked the concierge about 10:30 a.m. one day for two restaurants later in week and told "no" space available.

About an hour later at Cagneys for lunch asked the receptionist and magically not a problem. This particular concierge is one who also is "well" liked by many people. Other than meeting her for entrance to shows that is the only thing we asked of her all week.

We also had a similar experience with our concierge on the Escape earlier this month. Arranging priority disembarkation was nice, but for specific requests, they seemed pretty useless. Ultimately I had much better luck scheduling things directly and avoiding the concierge. Example (like yours): We asked if we could change one dinner reservation several days in advance. They said they would have to get back to us, but never did, even after I asked a second time a few days later. Eventually, I just went to the restaurant itself... they said they had no knowledge of the request, and were full, but would squeeze us in anyway.

Anyway, it was the only service I thought was poor on the entire ship. Everyone else was fantastic. And oddly, this was another concierge that gets rave reviews from others. Maybe I just rubbed him the wrong way!

I remember Carlos, he was the best; also liked Patrick

Carlos was our first concierge when we moved up to the suite/haven class rooms and definitely set the bar. This was on the Pearl in Alaska. When told that it was my wife's birthday and we wanted recommendations for dining in Victoria BC he asked what type of food we liked and he took care of the rest. Ended up with a reservation at a great Italian restaurant with our own fireplace next to our table. We had him again on the Gem out of NYC. He remembered us right away and again was amazing, stopping by our room every evening asking how our day was and if we needed anything. Others on the mega ships have been so so but I understand their workload dynamic is much different. Actually the assistants have been much more personable that the main concierge.

Anyone know what ship Carlos is on now?

We have had great and , as others have mentioned, not so great.

The most disappointing concierge was on the POA. He explained to us(in a condescending manner) that POA is unique and he sets the policy for Butlers. We were told what we should not expect. For example, butler not available until late afternoon, after morning coffee machine service. We were Owners Suite and wanted lunch on our Suite, No can do. Also, no reserved seating for shows. Priority disembarkation? Must show up at 8AM or nothing. When he would show up at breakfast, I would go to buffet to avoid him. Many did the same.

No Priorty disembarkation at end of cruise. He stood at exit to say “Goodbye” with his hand out for tips.

Our Butler made our cruise.

My FIL passed away ten years ago. Soon thereafter my wife and MIL went on an NCL cruise to Alaska and were in a balcony cabin. Several cruises before that my wife and I were fortunate to be in a suite. Alex Forbes was our concierge then and we both thought he was fabulous.

Alex remembered my wife's name on the Alaska cruise and was as nice and sympathetic as he could possibly be, and made both my wife and MIL feel like royalty on that cruise. He was absolutely the best in my opinion.

PS. Alex trained David Contreras and I find it amusing that David carries around a small three ring binder just like Alex did.

Jay

My FIL passed away ten years ago. Soon thereafter my wife and MIL went on an NCL cruise to Alaska and were in a balcony cabin. Several cruises before that my wife and I were fortunate to be in a suite. Alex Forbes was our concierge then and we both thought he was fabulous.

Alex remembered my wife's name on the Alaska cruise and was as nice and sympathetic as he could possibly be, and made both my wife and MIL feel like royalty on that cruise. He was absolutely the best in my opinion.

PS. Alex trained David Contreras and I find it amusing that David carries around a small three ring binder just like Alex did.

Jay

Love David!

Wow. Such a sweet story!

~Denise

Jay

What a nice story. Agree, Alex was amazing! I wish he could have trained all the NCL Concierges.

I love the different expectations people have of the concierge -- it must be a big part of the job description to figure out what kind of service each passenger wants. You can add me to the "please don't feel the need to track me down while I'm having breakfast/lunch dinner" crowd. Maybe they should get us red/green cards like they do at Moderno so we can indicate if we want to be approached?!

Our funniest interaction of that type was actually with a Chef or somebody high in that department (not Hotel Director - he was really good at smiling, nodding, and moving on). We were eating at Cagneys and he was going from table to table, spending about 5 mins at each one. And we were exchanging meaningful looks (omg - seriously? He's coming this way?!) and then had to listen to his conversation with the tables closest to us (they're not exactly far apart). It was almost a race to see if we could scarf down dinner before he got to us (we lost). You could almost hear the theme from Jaws playing.

I understand the concierge spotting you and saying "Hello! Everything okay? Have a great night - I'll be at my desk if you need anything!" and moving along. Beyond that... I don't really get it.

For me, there have really only been two types of concierges ... good and great. A good concierge is there when I need them and disappears when I don't. A great one can tell the difference without being told. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I understand the concierge spotting you and saying "Hello! Everything okay? Have a great night - I'll be at my desk if you need anything!" and moving along. Beyond that... I don't really get it.

I TOTALLY get this!! I don't need more "friends". I just need to know how to reach you should I require your special services.

:)

~Denise

For me, there have really only been two types of concierges ... good and great. A good concierge is there when I need them and disappears when I don't. A great one can tell the difference without being told. [emoji6]

Great summary!

~Denise

• 4 months later...

We had a wonderful concierge on PoA, Thomas. He was attentive while not being overbearing. He graciously took care of any problems we had and gave answers to any questions we had. He was always friendly and efficient. He gave my family and me the opportunity to relax, have peace of mind and enjoy our cruise! Who could ask for more!! Thank you, Thomas, and thank you NCL for providing such a great concierge!

We've been lucky and have had good service from all but one. He was the concierge on the first cruise we ever booked a suite on. He never knew who we were, never mentioned our names, lied and told us there were no reservations available when we asked to change a dinner time- we knew there were as we had seen the monitor displaying green for the time we wanted. We'd tried the reservation desk, but it didn't open until 8 am and we were headed to breakfast at Cagney's and figured we'd ask him. He didn't even check the computer, just flat out said there were no openings. Needless to say, we were able to make the change ourselves at the restaurant desk in the Atrium once it opened. He also told me early entry into Chocolate Buffet was only for suite guests - this guy had seen us every morning. Since it was our first suite, I had the letter with me and pulled it out, he just walked off. This happened on the Star and we didn't know what to expect. Funny thing is, he's one everyone raves about.

We've sailed with Elvina, Hanno, Patrick, Omar, Adrian - some of them more than once and they always know our names by the end of the cruise. Luckily, the one we were less than thrilled with didn't bother to show up for early disembarkation on the last day (he sent his assistant) and we didn't end up leaving a tip. Maybe he was unhappy, or maybe he already knew he was moving on to a bigger ship. I guess everyone can have an off week.

I sailed on the star in an aft facing penthouse suite. I didn’t even know they had a concierge. Lol.

Our butler on that trip was awful too. Really bad.

We had a wonderful concierge on PoA, Thomas. He was attentive while not being overbearing. He graciously took care of any problems we had and gave answers to any questions we had. He was always friendly and efficient. He gave my family and me the opportunity to relax, have peace of mind and enjoy our cruise! Who could ask for more!! Thank you, Thomas, and thank you NCL for providing such a great concierge!

Agree. We just sailed the POA B2B and he was extremely helpful, especially taking care of an issue we had between the first and second week. He worked with the hotel director to solve the issue. We were involved with the two reduced intineraries in March and NCL was uncooperative but Thomas and others fixed the problem. He was always around and offered helpful tips about what to do on each island that were different from the normal suggestions. I look forward to sailing with him again.