Texting on board

Sea biker

Hello all, I have a question about texting while on board. We have AT&T as our cell carrier and were wondering if we will be able to text each other on the ship. I have been unable to find a specific answer to this question on the forums . Thanks for any help, 31 days and counting 😃

check this link for AT&T - the rates are at the bottom of the list.

http://www.att.com/travelguide/coverage/coverage_details.jsp?CIDL=1578&MNC=CING

The AT&T Cruise packages with voice, text, and data aren't available on Carnival or at least not listed here:

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/international/roaming.html

you can't add the Passport plan and use it onboard - it's in the fine print it's only for international when off ship.

Depending on your cruise some ships have the Carnival Hub app (Breeze) or social media packages for a nominal fee. Might want to search for your particular ship to see what options the onboard wifi/internet options are.

Edited by ShodanCST
more info

Thanks Shodan, the link showing which ships had AT& T access was very helpful, after speaking with AT&T we are going to order their 30 Day for 30 Bucks plan. Unlimited texting onboard and 120MB data. Phone calls are free. We won't use the data so that is OK. Thanks for the help.

Thanks Shodan, the link showing which ships had AT& T access was very helpful, after speaking with AT&T we are going to order their 30 Day for 30 Bucks plan. Unlimited texting onboard and 120MB data. Phone calls are free. We won't use the data so that is OK. Thanks for the help.

Welcome. But did they specifically say that plan was good on the ship? Everything I read about that plan says it's for international use only.

I had been looking for something similar with AT&T myself for my March trip and didn't really find the details that said it would work onboard.

I'd also suggest double checking with AT&T on that $30 plan that its good for use while onboard using the ships Cellular at Sea service . I have ATT and have checked recently, ATT does not offer any discounted plans for use onboard. They have plans for RCL, Azamara and Celebrity...but not Carnvial....The passport plans are land based.

My wife had a live chat on the computer with AT&T. The person said she thought it would work for texting on board but was going to confirm and let us know. The link in an above post showed AT&T working on Carnival ships. The link for the Valor showed it being available, we will see.

i was on the glory and texted home on my at&t phone to my mother in law everyday to check on the kids. it worked and i was only charged .50 cents for every out going text.

make sure you go to settings and turn off the fetch new data push notification. if not when you turn on your phone you will start getting emails and push notifications which could leave you with a big bill when you get home.

i also called home several nights using the phone in the cabin. it states that it is $1.99 a minute. i called home 4 times from the cabin phone and i was never charged on my bill for anything. they were quick phone calls probably under a minute each. basically just "hi, everything ok. great i will call you tomorrow". i wonder if the call is under a minute it just doesn't register. i expected anything under a minute counted as a minute. but when i got home and looked at my statement i saw nothing for the phone calls.

I keep up with things at home by texting onboard.

I turn the phone on and check for incoming texts a couple of times a day.

With AT@T it has always been 50 cents for each outgoing text and the incoming texts are no charge.

Agree with this^^^

AT&T plans are only good for the actual ports/land. While you're out at sea and it says "cellular at sea", it will charge $0.50 for outgoing texts. It's free for incoming texts. I usually tell family at home to keep me posted and text me, so when I periodically turn on and check my phone daily....I'll know what's going on. I do purchase the $30 texting/cruise package and I normally send most of my texts during a port day, but at least 1 daily while out at sea.

I keep up with things at home by texting onboard.

I turn the phone on and check for incoming texts a couple of times a day.

With AT@T it has always been 50 cents for each outgoing text and the incoming texts are no charge.

I have an ATT iPhone and have always done this as well...

So... I have a question.

If I buy the Internet package and put my iPhone on airplane mode, will I be able to text over wifi? It's my understanding that iPhones utilize wifi for texts when wifi is available. Is this correct?

Yes, you'll be able to iMessage when you have access to the internet. I used my iPad to iMessage back home over free wifi that I found in ports. I would suggest doing this if you can because ship wifi isn't cheap. Unless you are on one of the ships that has the new Wifi, like the Breeze, Sunshine and I think the Freedom? More to come they say. But as of right now the rest of the fleet still has the old, slow wifi. I don't believe an internet package you buy from at&t will help you while on the ship. Maybe while on land..?

Do you sign up with AT&T frist or is this something that is always avail?

Also what mode do you keep your phone in while texting? Don't want to be charged a bunch for any downloads but want to receive and send texts.

Can you send pictures too in the texts or is that something that will cost much more.

New to all this as you can see.

Do you sign up with AT&T frist or is this something that is always avail?

Also what mode do you keep your phone in while texting? Don't want to be charged a bunch for any downloads but want to receive and send texts.

Can you send pictures too in the texts or is that something that will cost much more.

New to all this as you can see.

iMessage is always available. When you text on you phone you should notice 2 different colored text messages. When you text someone else with an iPhone it shows up as a blue colored message on your texting screen. If you are texting another device that is a non iPhone or apple product it shows up green. The blue messages do not count towards what you use on your texting plan. Say you get 300 texts/month. Only the green ones count towards the 300/month. The blue ones are absolutely free.

No you don't sign up for this, you must be on Wifi, and you must be texting another apple device.

I had my iPad out of airplane mode when I was doing this, but when I returned to the ship I returned it back to airplane mode because I didn't want to use the ship's wifi. I was actually using free wifi in cozumel at Wet Wendy's Margarita's, where they will give you the password if you buy a drink. They are very nice there and the wifi was really good. There's also a coffee shop in Grand Cayman that does this as well. Same thing, buy a drink and the password is on the receipt.

This is what I have always done when I want to text to people back home as most of my family has iPhones. Now with the new Carnival internet plan, I'll probably be purchasing at the minimum the social media plan.

thank you....

What is the social media pkg, and do all ships have it ?

We are on Elation next week and then the Dream in November.

The Elation next week likely won't have it, but they are working on rolling the new internet that is faster speed out on the rest of the fleet. Maybe you will have it on the dream by november? One can hope!!

Yes you would want to leave your phone on airplane mode to use this.