Hotels?

parttimr

Hello Saint Greg, I picked your brain in September regarding hotels for June 1-3, it time to book something. I have never used Hotwire, so not sure of using it. I have looked at your insights and have the French QTR/Mississippi River area listed, tennis nearby, 4.5 stars, everything lines up with Hotel Riverside for $97 a night, which is SUCH a bargain compared to the $236 direct from the hotel, I am in love with the price, BUT not sure with booking through Hotwire....convince me.....HELP......

Hello Saint Greg, I picked your brain in September regarding hotels for June 1-3, it time to book something. I have never used Hotwire, so not sure of using it. I have looked at your insights and have the French QTR/Mississippi River area listed, tennis nearby, 4.5 stars, everything lines up with Hotel Riverside for $97 a night, which is SUCH a bargain compared to the $236 direct from the hotel, I am in love with the price, BUT not sure with booking through Hotwire....convince me.....HELP......

Well it's 4 star, not 4.5 star...but you got the right one. It's $97 for your nights. One thing to keep in mind...if you need a 2-bed room, change your search to 2 adults, 2 children and the price will go up to $106 but they'll give you a 2-bed room.

You want to feel better about it? See where it has the little tripadvisor logo and 5835 reviews? Go find it on trip advisor and you'll see it has 5844 reviews (not uncommon for them to be a few off)...but then look for other New Orleans hotels with 5,800+ reviews. You won't find many.

Saint Greg would you have any knowledge on a 3.5 star from Priceline in the downtown area. Or 3.5 in the French Quarter area? Both are Express.

French Quarter 3.5 is $139. Downtown 3.5 is $121. Thanks for any help.

I'm going to say The Blake for downtown and the Wyndham French Quarter

My wife, 2yo & I are going on the Carnival Dream in May...arriving the day before and staying in NOLA for 2 nights after our cruise. We'd like to stay in the French Quarter area after the cruise, looking at the Omni Royal Orleans. Let me know if you have any other recommendations.

Also wanted to stay at a different hotel when we arrive on Saturday afternoon before our cruise. Please let me know if you have any other recommendations. We're not renting a car, so can grab a taxi to the port or hopefully the hotel has a shuttle service. Thank you!

JW Marriott is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will be staying in New Orleans Dec 14-16, 2018 prior to our cruise. My in laws, who are cruising with us, noticed that Expedia says rooms are 90% booked for that weekend. Hotwire isn't even booking out that far yet, so I am wondering - is it a busy weekend because of an event and everything *really* is booked up already? Or are we just too far out at this point for good availability and rates?

They booked the Hampton Convention Center and I just made a no penalty cancellation reservation there as well to be on the safe side, but I don't really know if this is a good choice for pre-cruise sightseeing, or if we should keep looking? I wouldn't normally even be thinking about the hotel yet.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

We will be staying in New Orleans Dec 14-16, 2018 prior to our cruise. My in laws, who are cruising with us, noticed that Expedia says rooms are 90% booked for that weekend. Hotwire isn't even booking out that far yet, so I am wondering - is it a busy weekend because of an event and everything *really* is booked up already? Or are we just too far out at this point for good availability and rates?

They booked the Hampton Convention Center and I just made a no penalty cancellation reservation there as well to be on the safe side, but I don't really know if this is a good choice for pre-cruise sightseeing, or if we should keep looking? I wouldn't normally even be thinking about the hotel yet.

That is probably the weekend of the New Orleans Bowl plus the Saints will probably be in town that weekend.

That is probably the weekend of the New Orleans Bowl plus the Saints will probably be in town that weekend.

The NFL schedule won't be released for another 4-5 months so there's only a 50-50 shot that the Saints will be there at home. The New Orleans Bowl isn't a big deal. Some garbage Sun Belt team will be playing in it but they won't even know which one until the end of november or beginning of december. I've been down there when the Saints played on the same weekend as the New Orleans bowl and had no problem getting a good room at a good price a few months in advance.

Edited by Saint Greg

My bet is it's too early. It looks like you have to wait about 2 more weeks just to see what hotwire has to offer. If anything bumps up the prices that week it will be some big convention...and if that were the case a hotel like Hampton which is right across from the Convention Center would be more than what it is right now. If it were me, I'd wait a couple weeks and check back.

As for the Hampton itself it's close to the port. Close to the WWII Museum and Mardi Gras World. Not so close to the French Quarter but you could walk a few blocks up to Julia Street and take the streetcar. All depends on what you want to do.

My bet is it's too early. It looks like you have to wait about 2 more weeks just to see what hotwire has to offer. If anything bumps up the prices that week it will be some big convention...and if that were the case a hotel like Hampton which is right across from the Convention Center would be more than what it is right now. If it were me, I'd wait a couple weeks and check back.

As for the Hampton itself it's close to the port. Close to the WWII Museum and Mardi Gras World. Not so close to the French Quarter but you could walk a few blocks up to Julia Street and take the streetcar. All depends on what you want to do.

Thanks for the feedback :). I booked a room there with no cancellation fee, just in case, but will look again when we are a bit closer. I'd like to stay closer to the French Quarter I think.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the feedback :). I booked a room there with no cancellation fee, just in case, but will look again when we are a bit closer. I'd like to stay closer to the French Quarter I think.

Your dates are available on hotwire now. Some good options out there starting at $100. But the best deal by far is Hilton Riverside at $70 for your nights.

Your dates are available on hotwire now. Some good options out there starting at $100. But the best deal by far is Hilton Riverside at $70 for your nights.

Looks like it's $101/night b4 taxes today. Is the $101 rate the Hilton Riverside? What are the chances if I booked this for my nights I'd get a different hotel? Do they still charge the $44 for self park and $49 for valet on top of this?

Just trying to decide whether to book this and park at the port or book the Hampton.

Looks like it's $101/night b4 taxes today. Is the $101 rate the Hilton Riverside? What are the chances if I booked this for my nights I'd get a different hotel? Do they still charge the $44 for self park and $49 for valet on top of this?

Just trying to decide whether to book this and park at the port or book the Hampton.

Dang ...you missed it. That was a great deal. It’s $101 now. It’s still early. You could always hang onto your Hampton inn reservation and and see if another great deal pops up. If the details you see there are the same, it will be Riverside. A good way to tell now is where they show the # of TripAdvisor reviews. Look up that hotel on TripAdvisor and it’s usually the same or within a couple of the same number.

Yeah hotel parking is outrageous. It’s 44/49 at Riverside. I just try to get great deals on the hotel rate to make up for it. But I usually stay one night so it’s not too bad. If I’m staying several nights I’ll try to find another place to stick my car. If you’re a Port Parker will they Let you park a couple days earlier? That wouldn’t be a bad option. You could also look into Fulton garage which has $20/night hotel parking and $14/night cruise parking on neworleansparking.com

Saint Greg....hello from Oklahoma! My husband and I are planning to stay in NO post cruise. We would like to be within walking distance to some of the attractions in the French quarter. We know nothing about the area or hotels. We’ve looked on bookings dot com and everything is close to or over $300 per night. Eeeek!

Other options on some of the higher star places all say “not available”....does it mean really no rooms or it’s just too early to book? Our dates are March 8 - 10 2018. One king bed, two adults. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks for any tips . Currently, we have a refundable reservation at the Jung Hotel...we know nothing about it

Saint Greg....hello from Oklahoma! My husband and I are planning to stay in NO post cruise. We would like to be within walking distance to some of the attractions in the French quarter. We know nothing about the area or hotels. We’ve looked on bookings dot com and everything is close to or over $300 per night. Eeeek!

Other options on some of the higher star places all say “not available”....does it mean really no rooms or it’s just too early to book? Our dates are March 8 - 10 2018. One king bed, two adults. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks for any tips ��. Currently, we have a refundable reservation at the Jung Hotel...we know nothing about it ��

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/506a0c70-0cb0-4e23-96fc-34d1d2d32659

That is March 2018 right? If so gosh no it's not too early. If it were 2019 it might be too early. Those not available messages mean something big is going on in New Orleans and hotel rooms are close to sold out..and people who have rooms available are jacking prices up.

If that Jung is an acceptable price for you I would hang onto it for now. Keep an eye on hotwire and if you see prices go down in the french quarter, mississppi river, downtown, warehouse district areas, come back and I'll help you figure out what the hotel is. Jung looks brand new and beautiful. I don't usually stay on that side of North Rampart...It's a little out of my comfort zone. But it's just a few blocks. I used to stay down there pre-kartina. You're right on Canal Street. If you walk to the French Quarter stay on Canal to get there.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/506a0c70-0cb0-4e23-96fc-34d1d2d32659

That is March 2018 right? If so gosh no it's not too early. If it were 2019 it might be too early. Those not available messages mean something big is going on in New Orleans and hotel rooms are close to sold out..and people who have rooms available are jacking prices up.

If that Jung is an acceptable price for you I would hang onto it for now. Keep an eye on hotwire and if you see prices go down in the french quarter, mississppi river, downtown, warehouse district areas, come back and I'll help you figure out what the hotel is. Jung looks brand new and beautiful. I don't usually stay on that side of North Rampart...It's a little out of my comfort zone. But it's just a few blocks. I used to stay down there pre-kartina. You're right on Canal Street. If you walk to the French Quarter stay on Canal to get there.

Thank you so much for the reply. We will hang on to the reservation for now. Apparently, there is a streetcar stop just outside from the Jung Hotel. Will definitely use the streetcar to go to the FQ. I’ve googled the dates and can’t find anything going on...but I do think Hotel availability and prices reflect that something must be going on. This hotel looks really nice in the pics and the few reviews I’ve found are very good. Again, thanks for your help!

Thank you so much for the reply. We will hang on to the reservation for now. Apparently, there is a streetcar stop just outside from the Jung Hotel. Will definitely use the streetcar to go to the FQ. I’ve googled the dates and can’t find anything going on...but I do think Hotel availability and prices reflect that something must be going on. This hotel looks really nice in the pics and the few reviews I’ve found are very good. Again, thanks for your help!

It’s usually some kind of convention for people who make a lot of money. This starts on the 18th so they probably start getting in town 16th-17th.

Date/Time

Mar 18, 2018 - Mar 22, 2018

12:00 am

New Orleans Convention Center

900 Convention Center Blvd

New Orleans 70130

Description

ACS organizes two national meetings & expositions each year, and each one attracts an estimated 11,000 to 13,000 chemists, chemical engineers, academicians, graduate and undergraduate students, and other related professionals.

https://global.acs.org/events/255th-acs-national-meeting-exposition/

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, looking for possible identification of 4 * Bourbon street French quarter area hotel $164 a night. Bed choice, 90% recommend. Thanks! Cindy

The airport is about 12 miles from downtown. A lot of cruisers stay at hotels outside of downtown that offer shuttles and allow you to park there during your cruise. You can read about some of those here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2149088

My personal opinion is I want to stay downtown/French quarter when I'm in New Orleans. I book on hotwire and get great deals but it's prepaid and non-refundable. I usually stay in a 4* hotel and pay about $100 plus $25-35 for parking. I would move my vehicle to fulton parking garage during the cruise where you can park for as little as $8/day on the roof.

http://neworleansparking.com/default.asp

If you go the hotwire route and need help figuring out what your hotel is going to be or need advice on a downtown French/Quarter hotel, let me know. I've stayed in probably 30 of them. I stayed at Hyatt Regency 8 times last year. It was the 4* downtown/superdome option on hotwire.