Prague to Budapest or Budapest to Prague?

thepoint

Carefully look at the itinerary. How time is spent in Nuremberg and Passau. Low water occurs between those two cities at times in the summer. Our ship could not get past Passau so we had two unexpected bus trips. This worked out fine but may be a real disappointment to some people. Also how much time is spent in each port? Prague to Budapest may spend more time in Nuremberg.

Summary: 1 Look at how cruise line handles low/high water and 2 which ports appeal most to you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The cruise we are taking, regardless of which direction, has a couple nights in a hotel in Prague with time to explore on your own and a couple days on the ship in Budapest. We decided to end in Prague as by then we will have meet likeminded cruisers to dine and hang with.

We loved Prague and Budapest...but I would choose to spend more time in Budapest....been t here 3 times and never get tired of it...one of my favorite cities in the world!

Everyone has their own views. IMHO we would much prefer spending more time in Prague than Budapest. Much more to see & more exciting.

My wife and I just got back from our Viking cruise. We took the Nuremberg to Budapest route. Not considering the water levels we are so glad that we took that route. Reason being we felt that Vienna and especially Budapest was magical. We loved Germany but are so glad that we spent extra time in Budapest. Just our opinion.

We loved ending in our time in Budapest because of our last night on the cruise when we cruised the Danube at night and Budapest was aglow in all the night lights, classical music playing and wine in our glasses - a very surreal way to end our cruise. If it makes a difference, Prague will be cooler and Budapest will be warmer because of their locations

My wife and I did the Prague to Budapest itinerary earlier this year (April). As Valley Girl mentioned it was nice to end in Budapest. 1. Sailed in to the city at night with the Parliament building lit up. Very romantic! 2. Docked right in the heart of the Pest side of of the city. It was a very easy transfer to our hotel, just down the street really. 3. Prague was great but do not sail from there. A one hour plus bus ride from Prague to Passau. Prefer that pre-cruise versus post-cruise.

My two cents.

Edited by PopPopBear

• 2 months later...

Hi, we are taking Emerald's Classic Prague & Danube Delights cruise September 18, 2017 with 3 nights beginning in Prague and ending in Budapest. We added 2 more nights at the end in Budapest.

I would like to hear from other friends who are on with us!

Has anyone taken this itinerary? We are interested in hiring private tours in Prague or Budapest and would love to hear your experiences of what extra sites you saw outside of Emeralds tours.

We also booked the day trip to Salzburg and hoping we don't miss out on the tour of Passau as I think we will. Did anyone regret the Salzburg excursion?

Is one direction preferred over the other and why? What time of year is best? Thanks for your help.

I think I would go anytime between end of April and early October. Flooding tends to be before that and low water after that. Exceptions possible. It depends a little on what your comfort zone is. On your route in Summer you can have over 30 degrees in July. If do not like the heat choose May or September. I would start in Prague and end in Budapest mainly because of the bus ride to or from Prague. But overall, Budapest is also my preferred city.

notamermaid

We loved ending in our time in Budapest because of our last night on the cruise when we cruised the Danube at night and Budapest was aglow in all the night lights, classical music playing and wine in our glasses - a very surreal way to end our cruise. If it makes a difference, Prague will be cooler and Budapest will be warmer because of their locations

We cruised up and down the Danube past all the beautifully illuminated buildings in Budapest on a full moon night.

It was a magical ending to a great trip on the Ama Prima.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cruising with Uniworld, Delightful Danube with Prague in September.

Staring in Prague and coming in 2 days earlier to spend more time in the city.

We end in Budapest and will spend 3 nights there too.

Researching guides in both cities now.

Will mix Prague up with Naked Tours and then use Tours by Locals.

Had a personal referral for a guide in Budapest and am working with her now.

Hi, we are taking Emerald's Classic Prague & Danube Delights cruise September 18, 2017 with 3 nights beginning in Prague and ending in Budapest. We added 2 more nights at the end in Budapest.

I would like to hear from other friends who are on with us!

Has anyone taken this itinerary? We are interested in hiring private tours in Prague or Budapest and would love to hear your experiences of what extra sites you saw outside of Emeralds tours.

We also booked the day trip to Salzburg and hoping we don't miss out on the tour of Passau as I think we will. Did anyone regret the Salzburg excursion?

We took the exact cruise with Emerald last August and enjoyed it . In addition to the included tours we took 2 optional ones in Vienna (Schoenbrun Palace and evening private concert), plus we arranged for private guides in both Prague and Budapest for Jewish Heritage tours. We enjoyed Prague the most.

Cruising with Uniworld, Delightful Danube with Prague in September.

Staring in Prague and coming in 2 days earlier to spend more time in the city.

We end in Budapest and will spend 3 nights there too.

Researching guides in both cities now.

Will mix Prague up with Naked Tours and then use Tours by Locals.

Had a personal referral for a guide in Budapest and am working with her now.

Thanks for sharing! I'm interested in your guide for Budapest once you have made your arrangements. Our date would be September 28 or 29th. If you or anyone else would be interested in us joining and sharing the expense.

• 10 months later...
I think I would go anytime between end of April and early October. Flooding tends to be before that and low water after that. Exceptions possible. It depends a little on what your comfort zone is. On your route in Summer you can have over 30 degrees in July. If do not like the heat choose May or September. I would start in Prague and end in Budapest mainly because of the bus ride to or from Prague. But overall, Budapest is also my preferred city.

notamermaid

would you please tell us what about Budapest made you feel it to be your preferred city. Which experiences are not to be missed - and if we were to plan a pre-stay - how many days are sufficient?

We took the exact cruise with Emerald last August and enjoyed it . In addition to the included tours we took 2 optional ones in Vienna (Schoenbrun Palace and evening private concert), plus we arranged for private guides in both Prague and Budapest for Jewish Heritage tours. We enjoyed Prague the most.

would you please tell us what about Prague made you feel it to be your preferred city. Which experiences are not to be missed - and if we were to plan a post-stay - how many days are sufficient?

ashik08,

I enjoyed both Prague and Budapest. I would prefer to sail into a city and stay there rather than bus there. I have not been to either town for long enough to give you any recommendations - apart from the obvious tourist spots. But Budapest has something about it - a feeling, sort of, "need to go back", which I did not get in Prague so much. In Budapest, being a fan of art nouveau, I enjoyed walking around the Gellert baths (and getting some souvenirs). But Prague has great buildings in that style too, for example the Grand Hotel Europa. For either city a post-cruise stay is great, sufficient days - hmm, I leave that to others...

notamermaid

They are both great. 3 days is ok to get a taste of Budapest but it's huge so there will be more to see. 3 is probably enough to do most of Prague. It seems smaller and easier to get a handle on.

We did Budapest pre cruise in April 2016. Details in the first pages of my blog, link to blog in signature. Prague pictures are here. I didn't blog about that trip.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app