Travel Insurance?

Hanna1313

My travel agent keeps pushing me to take travel insurance for my cruse....

we leave on the Miracle this Thursday from NYC... I have no reason to cancel my trip so why is travel insurance important? and do you all get it also?:confused:

we leave on the Miracle this Thursday from NYC... I have no reason to cancel my trip so why is travel insurance important? and do you all get it also?:confused:

It would be more for medical coverage, MedEvac Coverage, Trip Interruption (having to return home for an emergency midtrip), lost/damaged luggage, etc. ken

Fortunately I had travel insurance. I had some emergency surgery and am required to cancel my cruise. I think that I'm getting a refund on everything but the cost of the ins. Allows me to book another cruise!

Does your medical insurance cover you when you are outside of the country?

If you break a leg, appendix flairs up, food poisoning,,,basically anything that would cause you to be medevaced from the ship,,,, can you afford 10 to 20K?

Basically it's your comfort with risk level.

Either way, you're insured. Either thru a 3rd party company or self-insured.

So what you are saying is my medical would no cover this?

Most likely not. Then again, you would have to look into the fine details of your health insurance provider. Either way, if they do cover, it would be "Out of Network" and your share would be huge.

You should not leave home without travel insurance. It is a small price to pay considering the cost of the cruise or any travel. Get covered from the hour you leave your home until you arrive home. What if you get in an accident on the way to the airport or port itself. You never know what can happen. I understand that when injured or using a hospital in a foreign country you will have to pay before you get to leave. If you need to fly medic vac then you are talking 15000 or more. The hundred dollars for insurance is just that--- insurance you can make it back home. You need to investigate whether your health insurance will cover you out of the country. Medicare does not I know that. Make sure you do your homework BEFORE you leave not when you need it. Just my humble opinion.

Most medical policies do not cover things out of the country. But you can call and ask your insurance company. 800 number on back of medical card.

I never used to get trip insurance, but my teen daughter had major medical problems last year, and now I get the insurance to cover problems with her.

It depends. My medical insurance at work would pay for some of the medical bills but not air lifting. And also it would not pay any expenses for my family if they had to fly, hotel, food, etc. Travel insurance is one expense I always pay for and hope I never have to use.

You need to look at your personal Health Plan and see if it covers "Out of Country" charges and at what reimbursement Rate many polixcies don't - Medicare doesn't. You also want to specifically determine the medical transport coverages, like MedEVAC from ship to a foreign port/country. Some Policies will only reimburse you for their "Out of Network" reimbursement rate. You might want to look at least at some low end policies like TravelInsured Lite or TravelEX Basic.

ken

If traveling to Mexico (just as an example) they require you to PAY the medical bill before you can leave the hospital. On our last cruise we meet a couple that had to max out every credit card they had to pay the medical expenses. Crazy. A few hunder dollars is well worth it th piece of mind it will give you.

I have never cruised without it. But I'm one of those people who believes the first time I don't buy it, I will need it. The coverage that you can get for the small amount that you pay would be more than worth it if you should need it. I don't ever buy mine through the cruiselines though, it costs way too much. If you google travel insurance, there is a company out there that allows you to shop/browse through several insurance plans to find one that best suits you. Have fun on your cruise. :)

Sounds like a smart TA. Ours makes you sign a waiver if you decline travel insurance and also a waiver if you decide to cruise without a passport. Can't blame her protecting herself from a lawsuit when some client runs into trouble and then expects her to foot the bill when they have a problem.

I would definitely be concerned about the medical component and your potential expense. But emergency evacuation is the #1 reason we always get travel insurance and strongly prefer one that is primary rather than secondary. We paid $318 for travel insurance for our Hawaii cruise in December and the peace of mind is worth every cent (even though we will be in the USA).

No way would I travel without buying travel insurance.

# 1 I have a 90 year old Father, and #2 in 2005 we had to collect on the insurance policy when DH had a heart attack two days before we were to leave for an Alaskan cruise.

I shutter to think of the money we would have lost had we not purchased insurance.

Paying for insurance is just money spent on the cruise to me.

Its not only for cancellation. It is also for medical coverage and luggage. What if you get sick on the ship and need to be get a medivac to get off the ship.

That is around $10,000 and your little Blue cross policy isnt going to cover that. Or what if you need to get back home because of an emergency. Travel insurance would cover all your extra expenses.

Your TA is doing her job and doing it well. Get travel insurance!!!!!

I don't take travel insurance, except when I travel internationally. I have United Healthcare insurance which will cover me in the US. However, I know it does not cover an evac from a cruise liner.

Are you familiar with that song by the group Sugarland....**it Happens!

It could be something totally innocent like falling down a small flight of stairs on board or something silly such as that. Of course, I have already had some experience with serious, sudden illness while away from home. I had a heart attack while gambling in Atlantic City. No real warning. I'd been getting regular yearly check-ups; never experienced any signs of a problem prior to the MI.

Simply put, at the age of 55, health issues can arise suddenly. Especially, you'll probably be eating a richer diet then usual and probably drinking a bit more then usual, too. My next cruise will be around $2000 before I step on board and have my first DOD.

A really good policy which covers every concievable emergency, ran about $150. I forgot which company I chose last time but their policies were underwritten by Lloyds of London. There are others that were cheaper and the price depends upon the age of travellers and the cost of your trip.

Some one else said it ealier in this thread...I just consider it part of the cost of the trip.

I consider myself a smart gambler. This is what we call a hedge bet. A side bet to protect the real bet(the cost of the cruise and airfare)from the slight chance that you could lose. Usually you need to buy the insurance at least a week before you travel, but there might be policies available at the last minute.

We have the Carnival early saver price which is non-refundable. I don't know if we can change that reservatioon, but I am getting my insurance now just in case.

You'll wish you had it if you should ever need it. POO.POO.

Arrghh.:rolleyes:

I'm a cruise newbie, and I purchased travel insurance for both my DH and myself. It was only $166 for both policies but has great coverage.

Having the peace of mind is worth the few dollars I paid.

Archived