Richardson Beach-Hilo

dalibi

You might google Richardson's Beach and read reviews on Trip Advisor and others. There is no food and drink available onsite. You can probably get a taxi to stop so you can get take out and beverages on the way, not sure if your ship will let you take sandwich and chips off. And I think that Uber is available in Hilo so you can get an idea of cost by putting in your requested destination. I think it is a wonderful way to spend a day in Hilo if you are not going to VNP. There are restrooms at the beach. Google it and check out the reviews. One of my favorite beaches is Honoli'i but depending on the season it is a good place to watch some good surfers and not good for swimming. It also requires a taxi or rental car and getting food and drink prior to arriving at the beach. You can also hike to a waterfall from Honolii. Enjoy your visit to Hilo. Cherie

I think you could do it by city bus, but We did the hoppa on hoppa off bus in Hilo ( you can get tickets and hop on at the cruise terminal). We rode it around the loop, stopped at a few places ( including the farmers market where we bought ourselves a picnic lunch) then took the hoppa bus to Richardson’s beach for the rest of the day before riding it back to the ship. It worked well for us. The beach is a mix of rocks and black sand. We saw turtles & lots of the crew there. Restrooms & showers, but no concession - we were happy to have our picnic there.

• 1 month later...

And have a look at the weather and the waves; when I was there last November the waves were to big and dangerous, so the beach was even closed off (only a small part was visible and in my eyes nothing special), when the waves are too big, there are also no sea turtles around. So have a plan B ready in such cases (maybe "Rainbow Falls")