The Gem in Winter

hunter68

We are looking to book the Gem for February 08 and I had a few questions. We have sailed out of NY in the summer and it was great.

1. How is it to go out of New York in the middle of winter?

2. What is the launch party like?

3. When does it start to get warm?

4. Can you use the outer decks on the first and last sea days?

Thanks in Advanced for the answers.

Its usually very cold. No one can predict the weather.

Sometimes the weather is warm enough to use the outside decks on the first and last sea days in the afternoons, but if there is a cold wave may be not.

You can count on Florida or the Bahamas being warm, but even Florida can have a cold wave.

If it is too cold for the launch party, they will move it indoors usually in the forward observatory lounge.

We are looking to book the Gem for February 08 and I had a few questions. We have sailed out of NY in the summer and it was great.

We sailed the Dawn on 1/28/07. It was 42 degrees when we left the pier. The sail-away party was on the pool deck, but really too windy & cold to stay out. Most people went to the Spinnaker Lounge to watch. We went to out rear balcony (no wind) to enjoy leaving NYC.

It was snowing along the Jersey coast that night.

It was really cold & very windy on our 1st full sea day. There were people in the hot tubs, but not many.

It was plaseant the next day 70 degrees.

It all depends on weather and we all know that's not an exact science.

We're sailing the Gem on 1/26/08. Don't let the weather bother you, there's plenty to do on the ship.

Happy Sailing,

Monty

Hi...I have been searching around for a cruise for Feb 08 also. I came across the Gem out of NYC today. We cruised out of NYC twice but both times in the summer. I am a little apprehensive about sailing in the winter but like the idea of not having to fly to Florida....being in Boston we can drive to NYC in 4 1/2 hours.....I know the Dawn used to do this route...I am intersted in hearing about anyone experience sailing in the N Atlantic in winter...especially about the seas.....I know the Gem has not been launched yet but have read that the Pearl is a sister ship...any info on the ship would be appreciated too....Thanks Marianne..........my other choices are 5 nights Celebrity Century....7 nights Grand Princess....and maybe the 7 night Celebrity Summit....I only do Saturday to Saturday cruises so my choices are somewhat limited Thanks again Marianne

Hi...I have been searching around for a cruise for Feb 08 also. I came across the Gem out of NYC today. We cruised out of NYC twice but both times in the summer. I am a little apprehensive about sailing in the winter but like the idea of not having to fly to Florida....being in Boston we can drive to NYC in 4 1/2 hours.....I know the Dawn used to do this route...I am intersted in hearing about anyone experience sailing in the N Atlantic in winter...especially about the seas.....I know the Gem has not been launched yet but have read that the Pearl is a sister ship...any info on the ship would be appreciated too....Thanks Marianne..........my other choices are 5 nights Celebrity Century....7 nights Grand Princess....and maybe the 7 night Celebrity Summit....I only do Saturday to Saturday cruises so my choices are somewhat limited Thanks again Marianne

We sailed out of NY last February (2006) and are booked to do so again next February. That's our favorite time! That's the time of year we most need a vacation in the warm caribbean and we don't have to worry about flying anywhere. It's pretty cool leaving on a cruiseship when it's winter--standing out on the balcony or an upper deck with the freezing wind in your face, knowing very soon those winds will be warm and balmy. Wearing a winter coat onboard and shedding it for something lighter the next day. Then no coats at all til you come back home. We love it.

We sailed out of NY last February (2006) and are booked to do so again next February. That's our favorite time! That's the time of year we most need a vacation in the warm caribbean and we don't have to worry about flying anywhere. It's pretty cool leaving on a cruiseship when it's winter--standing out on the balcony or an upper deck with the freezing wind in your face, knowing very soon those winds will be warm and balmy. Wearing a winter coat onboard and shedding it for something lighter the next day. Then no coats at all til you come back home. We love it.

sounds great....we sailed out of NYC on our first cruise back in the early 80's to Bermuda on RCCL Nordic Prince........then again in 2002 to the Bahamas on the old NCL Sea.....it really is a awesome port to sail out of.....in 2002 as we past ground zero a hush fell over the sailaway party.....then we turned around and there was the Statue of Liberty in all her glory.....thatnks for sharing your experience....thinking seriously about the Gem cruise in 08

Hi. We were on the last cruise of January 28th on the Dawn and we will be on the January 26th, 2008 - GEM.

Don't remember seeing you on the last cruise - maybe we will meet on the next.

We are going to be going with a group from Québec -- they had a ball last year. Since we will be alone this year, we thought it would be fun.

We sailed the Dawn out of NY 2/2/06 - weather was delightful. We didn't even wear coats to the pier...(my bad)!

Came home in a N'easter...brrrrr....

You never know....we loved the cruise....last day at sea...bad! but well worth it :)

It's all part of the adventure.

Just do it and enjoy!

Here's the deal:

I go every year during the winter out of NY.

The best part of going out of NYC in the winter is you don't have to stress about whether a storm will cancel your flight, and possibly your cruise.

I know several people who lost their cruises our of San Juan or a non-cruise vacation to Los Angeles because of the storm the Wednesday before President's Day weekend.

I knw a number of others who had stressful two days at the airport before they luckily got on a flight to Florida or San Juan. They vowed to go on the Gem next year and avoid this experience.

the downside is that it is cold on deck during the days at sea. It's a fact. Some nuts (including me once) go in the hottub then wrap themselves in several towels and run back to their cabins.

Florida and the Bahamas are usually very nice. Remember, the Gem is going to Key West, which is more south than Miami and Nassau. Should be nice there.

Archived