Crown princess Dec 30 ABC Islands review

Cancruizer

Hi, I thought I would share our review of The Crown Princess Dec 30, 8 day ABC Islands. We had a great time and would even say that it was once of our best cruise experiences overall. It was not perfect and there were certainly things that we like on other ships and cruiselines, but I could still highly recommend this cruise to anyone! If you have any questions please just ask.

We chose this cruise because the dates worked and we loved the idea of celebrating New Years on a cruise. To top it off we loved the 8 day itinerary to Curacao, Aruba and Bonaire. We knew the Crown Princess would soon dry dock and having sailed her twice before, did think we would enjoy the ship and could overlook any areas that will soon be refurbished. The overall condition of the ship was very good. Some areas showed some wear but the Piazza (atrium) was in great condition as were the pool decks and most dining areas. The decor is a touch dated in some areas, which is understandable since this ship will be refurbished in a few months. We were lucky to have some friends and family on the ship with us and we all had a pretty good time.

Embarkation went well and was easy with arrival at about 10:45 am. We were 3 in an inside cabin, which is small but we know what to expect and like the layout of this inside (with separation for large open closet facing the bathroom). We traveled with our teen son and he had a great time in the kids club and hanging out at the pool deck or with friends. We had anytime dining and found the food and service to be very good to excellent most nights. I will say that the menu choices seemed to be superior or more appealing the first few nights of the cruise and less enticing the last 2-3 nights. For lunch we ate either in the buffet, which was good, or at the outdoor grill which was fine but not as good as we recalled. A star though is the International cafe!!!! Paninis of all sorts and upscale salads are served (plus desserts). This was our favorite and we ate here many times. The breakfast items were excellent as well. Our son enjoyed the room service, which is still included on Princess and we love this!

We saw a couple of shows and found the guest entertainers to be very good. We opted not to see Magic to Do but of our friends/family some loved it and some didn't. What is fabulous about this ship is that there was always something happening, and something for everyone (both day and night). This ship always felt alive, whether it was that people were coming and going from a show venue, sitting at Crooners having a drink, sitting at the International cafe having coffee and a snack, at Skywalkers or at a deck party dancing or catching a movie or having a swim at the pool deck. During the day there was painting in the Piazza, crafts to be made, dancing lessons and more.

Overall the service was very good. Our cabin steward was so helpful and accommodated every request easily. IC and buffet service generally very good as well. We did encounter occasional disgruntled staff which Princess should try to weed out as it must spread a negative energy. However we would never let this get in the way of how much we enjoyed and appreciated this cruise and how hard the staff do work and the great job that most do.

Ports:

Curacao was great and easy. We simply walked out of the fort and caught a small van for 6 to Mambo beach. We found chairs toward the left of the beach for $3.50 each. It was a nice fairly quiet beach and a good place to spend part of the day. We then went back to the ship for a quick bite and coffee at the IC and then walked through the town. We stopped for photos at the Queen Emma bridge and got a little map of the town. For those that are interested in visiting the synagogue, check the hours. We got there a few minutes after they closed at 4:30 pm unfortunately. We did stop and have a mojito at the "Worlds Best Mojito Bar" and it was pretty good!!

Aruba: We took a van for 6 over to beautiful Palm Beach (near Hyatt). This is definitely the place for water activities. We hung out and some did banana boating and it was great! We also walked around the town near the ship and went into some shops. Generally we found the same stuff as in Curacao but priced higher.

Bonaire: Loved this port! Lovely, unspoiled and clean, with European Caribbean charm, wow!! We took an excursion with Princess, the Mushi Dushi snorkeling in the afternoon and it was very good. We also took time in the morning and after the excursion to walk through the town and little market and just bought some salt items and a few souvenirs.

All in all, another great cruise for us. We loved the ship with its 4 pools and how we could always get a deck chair. This is a really good size ship that doesn't feel too big or too small. We also appreciated the Princess @ Sea app (which was free) that we used to message others as well as to check our onboard account and the Princess Patter. Thanks Princess and happy sailing to all future cruisers.

Nice to know that the Crown is still in good shape, as we also experienced last Mar/Apr. Aside from Magic To Do, was there any other production show at the Princess Theater?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There was another production show, but I can't recall the name. We saw the "Welcome" show with comedian Ty .... and then the magician Misko another night, all good. I tend to fall asleep during the production shows ( I think I am just so exhausted from busy and early days) so I sometimes skip them. In this case we enjoyed the martini bar and often ended the evening there.

I would love to sail the Crown again after the drydock - just love the ship layout!

Thanks for the great review!

We have a Western Caribbean booked, and are looking forward to Grand Cayman.

Have discovered that the things I would have liked at two other ports are not really doable from the dock.

Now I am interested in looking at a cruise to the ABC's, and just maybe fly to GC and stay at the Westin for a few days!

Thanks for the review. We will be on the Crown at the end of the month and can't wait. Did you have any problems with ATD? We have always had Traditional in the past but it is waitlisted for us. What time would you say is best to go?

We`ve always had anytime dining on Princess and I think they do a great job handling it. It gets most crowded around 6:30-7:00 pm. The maitre d will ask you if you are open to sharing a table and if so you will likely be seated quickly with others. If you prefer to sit at a table for 2 or 4, you may have to wait a bit and you will get a beeper. You can also call in the morning to make reservations for thr evening or even pop in around 5 pm and reserve. They were very accomodating. We often sat down between 7 and 8 as this worked for us. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the great review!

We have a Western Caribbean booked, and are looking forward to Grand Cayman.

Have discovered that the things I would have liked at two other ports are not really doable from the dock.

Now I am interested in looking at a cruise to the ABC's, and just maybe fly to GC and stay at the Westin for a few days!

Yes, I just loved the Dutch Caribbean! Where is your Western sailing? I do enjoy Grand Cayman although its been a few years since I`ve been there. Jsut going to the beach and walking in the town is so pleasant.

Would you recommend Curacao or Aruba for our beach day? We want a nice beach, with drinks, chairs and umbrellas available. More on the quiet side vs rowdy and rambunctious. Thanks!

Aruba is best known for its gorgeous beaches, so definately go to the beach in Aruba. We went to Palm beach and there are chairs, umbrellas and palapas available. I would not say it was a party beach, but definately there were water sports available and high rise hotels, so it can be busy. I have read that Eagle beach is just as beautiful but quieter. We were with teens so a beach worked for us in Curacao, but could not compare to the beach in Aruba.