My packing list. Would you add anything?

bbtbear

We bought SeaBands for our first cruise in 2012 'just in case' but never needed them on ships. They did help my husband at an amusement park though :)

My last two cruises I've experienced some "land" sickness post cruise. I was pleasantly surprised to find the SeaBands worked well for it too.

We bought SeaBands for our first cruise in 2012 'just in case' but never needed them on ships. They did help my husband at an amusement park though :)

My last two cruises I've experienced some "land" sickness post cruise. I was pleasantly surprised to find the SeaBands worked well for it too.

Wow, I'd never even heard of people getting sick after a cruise like that. Glad the bands worked for you!!!

Wow, I'd never even heard of people getting sick after a cruise like that. Glad the bands worked for you!!!

We had really rough seas on both of them - but oddly I had no issues on either cruise. It was only after I was on land a few hours (and not moving in a car) that the symptoms presented. I suspect my body adapts to sea legs well, but takes time to re-adjust.

It won't work for everyone, but a trick I learned was decanting moisturizer into contact lens cases. I was able to have 1 week of facial moisturizer in each "eye" and it barely took any space.

That is a good idea. I've tried using tiny little containers that are supposed to be for this very purpose, but they always leak. I can see where contact lens cases would be better.

Your list seems QUITE extensive...but I suppose mine was too for my first cruise!

I agree--you don't know what is important/necessary for you until you go.

One tip--you change clothes FREQUENTLY on a cruise, so it is very possible to wear things several times (if you are comfortable with that)

Breakfast--toss on black shorts & tee for hour or 2 (2 pair shorts/3 tees PLENTY for a week)

Pool--swimsuit/cover up (I take one--it has never been damp enough to matter)

Afternoon--black capris & nicer tops (again, 2 capris, 4 tops PLENTY for a week)

Evening--dressy black capris/skirts & several tops or dresses (this is when I like a different top each night--I don't get to dress up enough at home!)

As far as all those "extra" things--up to you.

We love post it notes when travel as a family; but DH & I are always together so no need.

I love a highlighter for the dailies--others aren't that interested in those, or use the app.

Many love the over the door organizers/magnetic magnet hooks--I have found PLENTY of space to put everything in a cruise room (and we have done interiors to balconies), so no need.

Duct tape? I HAVE needed this on one trip (not a cruise) when luggage split. But we travel A LOT & I don't carry it as a rule.

Multi-outlet strip? I have found plenty of outlets, maybe rotate what needs charging. (and it could be confiscated)

Bring water? Ships have their own water system, I'm good.

I don't need alarm clock/flashlight/camera--my phone acts as all of those.

If I need to hand wash something, I use shampoo--no need for detergent.

No need for poo pourri--I use body spray if needed.

11 cruises & I have never needed a poncho or umbrella. Not saying it couldn't happen but I figure if I get wet, who cares? (and ponchos are like a sauna in the Caribbean--ugh)

I have only needed bug spray ONCE in the Caribbean--when we visited the rain forest (Mayan ruins)

I DO like a stainless water bottle to keep water icy cold in the hot sun.

I DO bring a small variety of meds. Once had to buy a VERY small bottle of Tylenol liquid for $15 on the ship when DD had an ear infection.

I DO bring PLENTY of sunscreen--we find we go through a bottle every couple days. Even SPF 50 will get you a great tan in the Caribbean!

But honestly while your list looks long, there is little I would leave off.

You will find things you forgot or wished you had--if it is essential you can find it on the ship (once I forgot my Bare Minerals makeup; I had to do with a pricier on board brand--$50 OUCH) or on port (sometimes cheaper!)

You will also find at the end there were things you didn't need.

Have fun!!

Your list seems QUITE extensive...but I suppose mine was too for my first cruise!

I agree--you don't know what is important/necessary for you until you go.

One tip--you change clothes FREQUENTLY on a cruise, so it is very possible to wear things several times (if you are comfortable with that) Yep, absolutely. Packing for 2 weeks of travel, one week at sea, one on land. I'll definitely try to conserve as much as I can.

Breakfast--toss on black shorts & tee for hour or 2 (2 pair shorts/3 tees PLENTY for a week)

Pool--swimsuit/cover up (I take one--it has never been damp enough to matter)

Afternoon--black capris & nicer tops (again, 2 capris, 4 tops PLENTY for a week)

Evening--dressy black capris/skirts & several tops or dresses (this is when I like a different top each night--I don't get to dress up enough at home!)

As far as all those "extra" things--up to you.

We love post it notes when travel as a family; but DH & I are always together so no need. Not sure whether we'll need this, but I saw people recommending them for communicating with your party, but also for communicating with your cabin steward if you have special requests, etc.

I love a highlighter for the dailies--others aren't that interested in those, or use the app.

Many love the over the door organizers/magnetic magnet hooks--I have found PLENTY of space to put everything in a cruise room (and we have done interiors to balconies), so no need. Good to know! Thanks!

Duct tape? I HAVE needed this on one trip (not a cruise) when luggage split. But we travel A LOT & I don't carry it as a rule. Yeah, I never would under usual circumstances. It's just the nature of this trip. My sister and I have been looking forward to this through the grave illnesses and deaths of our 2 dads, so I just want to be extra cautious in packing so that we encounter no stress that I could avoid with some pre-planning. I'll be delighted if I don't need it, and delighted if I do and have it, know what I mean?

Multi-outlet strip? I have found plenty of outlets, maybe rotate what needs charging. (and it could be confiscated) Can you tell me what you mean by plenty of outlets? We are in a cove balcony cabin and as far as I can figure out, there is one outlet in the main cabin and one in the bathroom that isn't as functional. Would be delighted to learn there are more.

Bring water? Ships have their own water system, I'm good. Packing empty water bottles, but not actual water.

I don't need alarm clock/flashlight/camera--my phone acts as all of those. I'm an amateur photographer, so I'd die if I went to these exotic locations and had to rely on my cell phone camera. :) I do have a flashlight in my phone and don't believe I had one on the list. The alarm clock was suggested by some people who noted that your phone may automatically change time zones if you cross one at night between ports, etc., so it was better to have a clock to set to ship time so that it would be consistent. I've seen my cell phone change times as I crossed time zones in traveling before, so this seems like a solid idea to me. The travel alarm clock I got has a tiny footprint in my luggage. It's 3"x 3" x 1" and weighs 2 oz. so I'm not too put out by bringing it along.

If I need to hand wash something, I use shampoo--no need for detergent.

No need for poo pourri--I use body spray if needed. I don't own any body spray. :)

11 cruises & I have never needed a poncho or umbrella. Not saying it couldn't happen but I figure if I get wet, who cares? (and ponchos are like a sauna in the Caribbean--ugh) Fair point about how steamy ponchos are when it's humid!!!

I have only needed bug spray ONCE in the Caribbean--when we visited the rain forest (Mayan ruins) Yep... we're going to the rainforest to see Mayan ruins lol

I DO like a stainless water bottle to keep water icy cold in the hot sun.

I DO bring a small variety of meds. Once had to buy a VERY small bottle of Tylenol liquid for $15 on the ship when DD had an ear infection.

I DO bring PLENTY of sunscreen--we find we go through a bottle every couple days. Even SPF 50 will get you a great tan in the Caribbean!

But honestly while your list looks long, there is little I would leave off.

You will find things you forgot or wished you had--if it is essential you can find it on the ship (once I forgot my Bare Minerals makeup; I had to do with a pricier on board brand--$50 OUCH) or on port (sometimes cheaper!)

You will also find at the end there were things you didn't need. Yes, I'm totally at peace with that. I don't care if I don't need this stuff on this particular vacation. What I do care about is needing these things and not having them and getting stressed out or having my sister get stressed out about any of it. I want the payoff of this vacation to be worth all the waiting and the reality of it to be as peaceful and enjoyable and rejuvenating as we have hoped for during these long months of sadness.

Have fun!!

Thanks so much for your thoughtful review! I responded some above to your observations. I really, truly appreciate you taking the time. :)

bbtbear--you evaluated my response as much as I, you.

You clearly have thought this through!

And it looks like you 2 deserve a wonderful relaxing vacation.

We have never had an issue with outlets--I hear others say this & I just don't get it.

I guess there are usually 2 on the desk & 2 in the bathroom (which work fine...)

I haven't cruised every line, but DCL, RCCL, Princess & Celebrity seem similar.

I guess usually DH & I each plug our phone on the desk each night.

Hair dryer/curling iron for hair prep--fine in bath.

I do need a fan each night now...I may need a multiprong adapter & I guess I can get an extension cord from steward.

Have a WONDERFUL time!

I think your list is good. Whatever makes you feel more comfortable, do it. Everyone else can be quiet. Take what you need from the posts, leave the rest. *hug*

For what it's worth, I wanted my sister to feel like she had everything she needs, no matter what. She and I lost both our dad and our stepdad this spring. When they both had cancer and were very sick, she and I started planning this cruise so we would have something to look forward to together. So, yeah, I've put a lot of thought into it. And maybe I've gone overboard. It has been an escape and a labor of love. If you don't like the list, be helpful and suggest what you wouldn't take on it. Don't just be mean.

bbtbear-I just started thinking about packing for my upcoming cruise on August 24th to Alaska.

I started writing down clothes to take for each portion of the trip: sea days, excursions, dinner, etc. Since it's Alaska I need to add a warmer jacket and scarf. And a rain jacket. I'm still debating on whether or not the waterproof shoes are worth it.

Then there's my toiletries, my first-aid stuff. The little pouch with electronic stuff like camera battery charger and tablet cords. My passport, boarding pass. Just the usual stuff.

After looking it all over it's like I said in my other post, the only reason yours looks longer than anyone else's is because you wrote it all down. I consider myself to be a fairly moderate packer, maybe more than someone else brings but I rarely don't wear everything I bring.

Anyway, I almost never make a list. I have lists, and lists for lists at work so normally I avoid it like the plague. I did this time because it was such a lazy day, so perfect for sitting and watching the game, cat in lap and making a list, so why not? When I looked at what I had written it made me laugh, it looks so looooooooooong. And it made me think of you. Heck, now I have to double-check YOUR list for anything I might have forgotten.

We have never had an issue with outlets--I hear others say this & I just don't get it.

I guess there are usually 2 on the desk & 2 in the bathroom (which work fine...)

I do need a fan each night now...I may need a multiprong adapter & I guess I can get an extension cord from steward.

Have a WONDERFUL time!

Thanks so much! I hope you have a wonderful cruise to look forward to, as well!

I think your list is good. Whatever makes you feel more comfortable, do it. Everyone else can be quiet. Take what you need from the posts, leave the rest. *hug*

Aww thank you so much for your kindness. Hugs right back at you!!!

bbtbear-I just started thinking about packing for my upcoming cruise on August 24th to Alaska.

I started writing down clothes to take for each portion of the trip: sea days, excursions, dinner, etc. Since it's Alaska I need to add a warmer jacket and scarf. And a rain jacket. I'm still debating on whether or not the waterproof shoes are worth it.

Then there's my toiletries, my first-aid stuff. The little pouch with electronic stuff like camera battery charger and tablet cords. My passport, boarding pass. Just the usual stuff.

After looking it all over it's like I said in my other post, the only reason yours looks longer than anyone else's is because you wrote it all down. I consider myself to be a fairly moderate packer, maybe more than someone else brings but I rarely don't wear everything I bring.

Anyway, I almost never make a list. I have lists, and lists for lists at work so normally I avoid it like the plague. I did this time because it was such a lazy day, so perfect for sitting and watching the game, cat in lap and making a list, so why not? When I looked at what I had written it made me laugh, it looks so looooooooooong. And it made me think of you. Heck, now I have to double-check YOUR list for anything I might have forgotten.

Yeah, my skin has gotten thicker since I first posted my list and got flamed. lol! I was just so excited and happy that I thought I had thought of everything and was hoping people could tell me if there was MORE I should bring and all of a sudden people were acting like I was a stooge for bringing so much. I find some people aren't always so kind around here. But I'm taking it in stride now. lol!

How exciting for you to get to cruise to Alaska! I've never had that opportunity, but I used to work for Alaska Airlines, so I got to travel to a lot of the ports that cruises go to like Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, etc. If you've never been, buckle up! It's just astonishingly beautiful there. I'm from the Colorado Rockies and Alaska had even my mouth hanging open. Just raw, gorgeous, natural beauty. It's visceral, almost ferociously beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful cruise and that my list is a help, even if it's just reassuring you that your list DOES have everything you want on it! :)

Have a WONDERFUL time!

Curious as to which ships you were able to plug in hair appliances in the bathroom. Have sailed quite a lot and know you definitely cannot do that on Royal Caribbean or Celebrity. Friends tell me the same on Carnival and other lines. Outlets in bathroom are for shavers only. Appreciate knowing.

Yeah, my skin has gotten thicker since I first posted my list and got flamed. lol! I was just so excited and happy that I thought I had thought of everything and was hoping people could tell me if there was MORE I should bring and all of a sudden people were acting like I was a stooge for bringing so much. I find some people aren't always so kind around here. But I'm taking it in stride now. lol!

How exciting for you to get to cruise to Alaska! I've never had that opportunity, but I used to work for Alaska Airlines, so I got to travel to a lot of the ports that cruises go to like Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, etc. If you've never been, buckle up! It's just astonishingly beautiful there. I'm from the Colorado Rockies and Alaska had even my mouth hanging open. Just raw, gorgeous, natural beauty. It's visceral, almost ferociously beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful cruise and that my list is a help, even if it's just reassuring you that your list DOES have everything you want on it! :)

I agree completely about the scenery. I live in California so Alaska is easy as we can drive to the port. Although the 1 hour drive to San Francisco is a lot easier than the 12 hours to Seattle. LOL.

I also cruise with 1 or the other and sometimes both of my sisters at the same time. This will be my 4th and my 1 sister's 3rd time. But the first time for my oldest sister. We have a lot of fun. I think you will too, with your sister.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Forums mobile app

I agree completely about the scenery. I live in California so Alaska is easy as we can drive to the port. Although the 1 hour drive to San Francisco is a lot easier than the 12 hours to Seattle. LOL.

I also cruise with 1 or the other and sometimes both of my sisters at the same time. This will be my 4th and my 1 sister's 3rd time. But the first time for my oldest sister. We have a lot of fun. I think you will too, with your sister.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Forums mobile app

Sister power!!! :)

So, I did a search for packing list and this was the second thread on the list. I happen to be super organized and an excellent packer but I would be that person to pack everything but the kitchen sink and forget socks or undies because I over thought lol. I can appreciate wanting to be prepared. In my experience, though, I was getting stressed out over packing and ended up packing too much and having to keep all that stuff in order in a small cabin. On the ship you end up doing a lot of relaxing in a bathing suit and cover up and not as much outfit changing everyday as people think they might. Remember, a lot of ports have places to get things if you feel like you MUST have it. Otherwise, decompress, remember your meds and undies and don't worry about too much. It's vacation!

So, I did a search for packing list and this was the second thread on the list. I happen to be super organized and an excellent packer but I would be that person to pack everything but the kitchen sink and forget socks or undies because I over thought lol. I can appreciate wanting to be prepared. In my experience, though, I was getting stressed out over packing and ended up packing too much and having to keep all that stuff in order in a small cabin. On the ship you end up doing a lot of relaxing in a bathing suit and cover up and not as much outfit changing everyday as people think they might. Remember, a lot of ports have places to get things if you feel like you MUST have it. Otherwise, decompress, remember your meds and undies and don't worry about too much. It's vacation!

lol good advice. Thanks. I'll keep it in mind. Cheers!

I suspect that you should consider purchasing a large steamer trunk.

We can pack and be out the door in 20 minutes. It would take us longer to read and digest that list.

On our last cruise we saw people struggling with multiple, heavy suitcases that they obviously could not manage by themselves. My guess is that they used a similar packing list.

Again, as I have said earlier on this thread, everything fits in one medium sized suitcase and a carry on. I hope I don't need to use it all. I will be happy to have it all, regardless. I appreciate your feedback, but wish I could withdraw the thread at this point because I've come to be very comfortable in knowing what I'm packing. You pack your way and be happy. I'll do the same. Cheers.

My packing motto has always been take what you are comfortable pulling/carrying. If OP is comfy with her list then so be it.

Thankfully I am a 5'10, rather strong young woman so this gives me a lot of options. I take the maximum suitcase I am allowed for my plane/cruise and have pulled it around all sorts of places (including European trains). If I go camping my rucksack is smaller in comparison.

If you look at the OP's list then a majority of it is not heavy or bulky. If many of us wrote down a list of all our holiday stuff we would see our lists would be longish anyway. I am however, baffled at those that take lots for the room such as wipes/door hangers and so forth.

Room Packing Cube

Nightlights - maybe

travel alarm clock - n[- use your phone

magnetic hooks For what?

Magnetic clips [For what?

ziplock bags - yes

power strips with USB ports -yes

highlighter pens -No, if your ship has HUB

pen - I always carry a pen

Sticky notes - No, if your ship has hub

rechargeable fan - I would not use this, but if you must . . .

Duct tape - Have never needed it (If you so, I am sure someone on your ship will have some)

Sewing Kit - maybe, but again, your stewards and help with most wardrobe emergencies

Glasses repair kit - have never needed one

Poopouri toilet spray - if you think you need it

mesh shower tote (to hang our stuff in in the shower and to carry it to the spa) - maybe

duct tape - You listed this already

Over the door organizer - I jhave never has the need for one - there should be sufficient storage space for 3 people

dish soap - why?

YETI/Straws -yes

door decoration - if you feel you must

Beach Bag Packing Cube

6 1oz tubes 30 spf sunscreen - Definitely need sunscreen

lock bag - ok

wet bag - ok

microfiber towel - why?

waterproof phone case ok

beach towel chair straps I bring clips

Luggage/misc. PackingCube

Luggage tags - yes

Sanitizer wipes -ok

Lens cloth -yes

Laundry Packing Cube

Collapsible hamper - Good to have

Tide for 3 regular washes - ok

Tide for 3 sink washes -ok I bring a small travel bottle of Woolite

Dryer sheets - I don't use them

Bungee clothes line = there should be a small line in the bathroom

Sink stopper- sinj should have working closure mechanism

clothespins - yes

Downy Wrinkle Releaser - ok

Port Packing Cube

Rain poncho - yes; I bring Dollar tree disposable ones

2 waterproof bags on belts - ?

2 collapsible water bottles with carabiners - No, unless you are doing some SERIOUS hiking

bug spray with DEET - depends on destination

Reef safe spf 30 sunscreen - depending on destination and ctivities

Collabsible tote bag - yes

portable toilet paper - no, unless you plan to take some very primitive excursions

Snorkel Gear

Medical kit

Antibiotic ointment - yes, I usually bring a small tube

Antiseptic towelettes - can be useful ( I think you mention antiseptic wipe above)

bandaids A must for me

bandages - No, go to ship's infirmary

iodine

No, go to ship's infirmary

moleskin

gauze

tape

pepto bismol yes

tums yes

scissors No

tweezers No. unlless you need them for cosmetic reasons

thermometer

rehydration salts

Benadryl yes

decongestant yes

Tylenol yes

ibuprofen (do you need both?)

motion sickness patches - if you need them

bonine If you have the patch you do not need it

ginger candy only o\if yo udo not have the patch and/or bonine

Important documents folder for carryon

Passport. Put copy in separate bag Or take picture with phone

Cruise documents yes

Excursion documents yes

email confirming steakhouse reservation yes or take picture with phone

email confirming Chef's Table reservation

yes or take picture with phone

Plane ticket info yes

Hotel(s) info yes

Land transfers, rental car, bus, etc. yes

Travel insurance yes

Emergency #s and addresses for post cards yes? Is that still a thing?Travel partner's emergency numbers yes

Insurance card yes

Carryon Packing list

Passport yes

License yes

Credit cards yes

Important Documents folder (?)

Phone and charger yes

Watch yes

Gum yes

Snacks Why?

Medication I am assuming you mean prescription meds, as other meds were already listed

Pen and small notebook you listed pen already

Camera phone cameras are so good now, few people bring this

Sunglasses yes

Dollar bills for tipping yes

Luggage IDs you said this already

Lanyard yes

Rain poncho if weather sketchy - you said this alredy

headphones - yes, or earbuds

PJs yes

Bathing suit and coverup yes

Outfit for boarding the ship yes

Lanyard Said this already

Camera Said this already

Kindle of, but many download app on lap top

remote charger(s) for phone ok

Personal toiletries yes

makeup yes

laptop of

Overnight bag – add these items to carryon in NOLA hotel for boardingship

Hat/Visor ok

Binoculars of you think you will need them

Beach packing cube -?

towel - No need; hotel and ship provides

Toiletry bag ok

sandals ok

Toiletry bag - All of this depends on your personal need

shampoo/conditioner/hairspray/hairproduct/elastics

nail clippers

face products

Eyedrops

Flonase

Allegra

deodorant

Perfume

Lotion

bath pouf

Razor

ear plugs

lanyard

jewelry

Clothes

Dinner outfits for 7 nights - You don't need 7 outfits At most 5 (Since 2 nights you will be wearing the "nice" dresses. The last night I usually wear something I wore earlier on the cruise)

Afternoon outfits/casual outfits for 5 days (One should be an outfit it’s ok to get muddy)

2 nice dresses

2 bathing suits and 2 coverups (at least 2 bathing suits)

underclothes yes

5 pairs socks yes

Sneakers, sandals, flipflops (closed toed shoes required for Roatan ATVexcursion) yes

3 pairs pjs I have never need more than 2 paiamas

Small hand bag

Sweater

4 tshirts * you already mentioned casual outfits; are these additional?

Excursion packing list - this wad all mentioned already

Beach bag packing cube (see above)

port packing cube (see above)

Lanyard

IDs, cash, visa (if needed)

Camera

snacks and beverages

Change of clothes

Swimsuit

Swimsuit cover

Hair clip/hat

Flipflops/water shoes

Small medical kit (bandaids Neosporin eyedrops)

Sunglasses

small notebook/pen

Chapstick

Dollar bills

watch

cell phone

headphones

Beach bag on sea days packing list -see earleir remarks

Beach bag packing cube (see above)

Swimsuit cover

lanyard

Camera

Water bottle

Small notebook/pen

Highlighter

Watch

cell phone

chapstick

Sunglasses

Hat

Lotion

Kindle

Earplugs

headphones

''

For your day outfits, bring items that all mix and match with one another. for the two

elegant" or formal nights consider bringing one LBD and change out the jewelry/.wrap. Or consider dressing it down for a "regular" night

I have a packing list saved on the computer for my mother, myself, and my dog (he goes to board at a sitter's home while we're away.) I edit them a little after each trip. We're a little more than three months out so it's time to start assembling things and buying the meds, sunscreen, and so on. Checking to make sure swimsuits still fit and haven't gone baggy, making sure clothes still fit, testing out the snorkel mask. Making a note to get my hair cut about three weeks before, as it looks best then for the portraits. Verifying the reservation with the quaint little B&B.

Something else you can do: search Facebook for your ship's name and see if the passengers have set up a group for your cruise. The folks on my next cruise have arranged all sorts of activities.