Anthem of the Seas July 12 2018 Review

Anthem of the Seas July 12 2018

I am a Diamond member on Royal and am writing this review as a long time cruiser.

The ship is absolutely gorgeous the crew keep her spotless and she really has unique charm. That being said the ship IS CROWDED. Keep in mind we were sailing during peak summer vacation time. I was shocked because the Oasis class never felt remotely crowded compared to this.

The windjammer was an absolute nightmare during breakfast and lunch however the great news is they offer a great breakfast in cafe 270 as well as a full buffet in the Solarium Bistro for breakfast and lunch. We thoroughly enjoyed it there and it was never crowded.

The food in the main dining room for dinner was excellent. We were at my time dining and traveling with three other cabins so on the first night we asked to have a table for ten every night at 730. They were very accommodating and had top notch service every night. Table 701 in American Icon Ricardo was our waiter and Remzi was our head waiter.

Ricardo brought out as much as you wanted and often brought things we never ordered just to try. Cannot say enough about the staff... excellent all around.

We ate at Chops and Jaimie’s Italian as well both meals were excellent and very memorable. I highly recommend Jaimie’s for the homemade pastas and pear prosciutto and arugula salad.

The cabins... I had balcony cabin 8264 and honestly it may have been the best balcony cabin I ever had. Loved the layout it was huge. Tons of storage, large tv and refrigerator. The best part was you could shower leave the bathroom door open and have a full view of the ocean from the glass enclosed shower.

The entertainment was great really enjoyed “The Gift” and “Spectra’s Cabaret”. My favorite was the “Police Experience” who were amazing. If you are a music fan definitely check them out.

Our cruise stopped at Bermuda, St Maarten, San Juan, and Labadee.

Bermuda was great have been several times we wandered around town and did some shopping. St. Maarten was wonderful as we took a van to Divi Little Bay resort which was only $5pp and spent the day at the beautiful beach. Beach chairs were $5. It’s amazing the money we saved by doing our own excursion. San Juan I stayed onboard to use the pools as I have been numerous times and rather be on the Anthem. Labadee was great but extremely crowded 4500 people fighting for a spot at the various beaches.

Fellow passengers were often downright rude to the point we witnessed many arguments throughout the sailing. It’s pretty sad when people have to fight and push over buffet food, pool chairs, and seats in the theater. When the elevators open let the people off before barging in.

In general I loved the ship but it was WAY too crowded for me. I also didn’t like the pool towel policy. It became quite a pain especially waiting twenty minutes for towels as you were getting off to Labadee. NCL does this right they provide you towels in your stateroom and replace them daily and have a desk by the pool. Hopefully RC changes this policy in the future.

Overall a great trip and made many memories with our traveling companions.

Edited by apc0204
Grammar

Thanks for such a thorough review. I enjoyed reading it.

I am thrilled to hear that Divi Little Bay is back up and running. They took quite a hit during the hurricane.

By the way, about Windjammer crowding: Almost everyone complains about that on the Oasis class ships. And some other ships. Not an "Anthem thing". ;)

I always get a beach towel the day before a port day to avoid the line on the gangway. :)

St. Maarten was wonderful as we took a van to Divi Little Bay resort which was only $5pp and spent the day at the beautiful beach. Beach chairs were $5. It’s amazing the money we saved by doing our own excursion.

Can you expand on this? Did you have to reserve the van in advance of the cruise or was it available at the dock? How did you pay? Cash or credit? Did you have to tell them the time you wanted to go back or were vans coming and going all the time?

Labadee was great but extremely crowded 4500 people fighting for a spot at the various beaches.

Where did you go?

We had our group of ten and walked right to the taxi stand. They had plenty of vans available we told our driver to pick us up at 430 and she was there promptly at 430. The drive is about ten minutes each way.

When we arrived at the resort I went to the front desk and they were very accommodating. It truly was a perfect beach day. I highly recommend it.

We had our group of ten and walked right to the taxi stand. They had plenty of vans available we told our driver to pick us up at 430 and she was there promptly at 430. The drive is about ten minutes each way.

When we arrived at the resort I went to the front desk and they were very accommodating. It truly was a perfect beach day. I highly recommend it.

Did you have to pay for your chairs at the front desk or out on the beach? Is there a day pass there or do you just get access to the beach?

Can I ask do they charge the deposit to take towels to use on the ship by the pool? Or just when you take them off the ship? New to this system!

Also was your mattress ok?

Good review, lots to feel positive about thank you! :)

We are booked for a 9 night cruise next summer. I didn't realize there are only 3 pre-booked shows. Were the other shows that don't require pre-booking good in your opinion?

My husband enjoys shows and I didn't realize until after booking how few Anthem had compared to Oasis' pre booked shows.

We are family of 4 (including 2 teens) who booked non-refundable so I don't feel like shelling out $400 to change ships. Oasis doesn't sail in summer 2019 anyway.

Thanks!

We are booked for a 9 night cruise next summer. I didn't realize there are only 3 pre-booked shows. Were the other shows that don't require pre-booking good in your opinion?

My husband enjoys shows and I didn't realize until after booking how few Anthem had compared to Oasis' pre booked shows.

We are family of 4 (including 2 teens) who booked non-refundable so I don't feel like shelling out $400 to change ships. Oasis doesn't sail in summer 2019 anyway.

Thanks!

There are still other offerings than the three shows you can pre book. There is typically a Tribute Band, a headliner, Love and Marriage Show, Quest, and others that I am forgetting.

Guest maddycat
There are still other offerings than the three shows you can pre book. There is typically a Tribute Band, a headliner, Love and Marriage Show, Quest, and others that I am forgetting.

There will also be at least 2 comedians.

There will also be at least 2 comedians.

Thanks all!

Angela

I'll add to the list. Name That Tune, at least 2 headliners on a 9 night, Anthem Rocks, Groovy Town, 270 Robo Shows, Virtual Concerts, Virtual Fireworks, Karaoke, Rock-a-Rookie, Silent Dance Party, Participant Games in the Music Hall, at least 2 live bands every night, singer in the Pub, singer in Schooner Bar. Cast from WWRY doing solo performances. Anthem has lots going on at night.

Good review.

Sailed on the Anthem (2) and Quantum and never felt crowded except when they have those silly sales in the Promenade.

Surprising that you did not eat in the MDR for breakfast & lunch on sea days. Breakfast includes not only menu items but an extensive breakfast bar.

For lunch on sea days, they offer the Tutti salad bar. In addition to menu items, the salad bar has a plethora of hot entrees, salad bar items and a pasta station. In addition, as you enter the Grande you see a dessert table with a chocolate fountain surrounded by a variety of cookies,

cakes, fresh fruits and ice cream.

Towels, I don't wait till we debark. I simply go to the pool deck and sign out for 4 towels. If I want a head start, I grab the towels the day before and keep them in our room.

Glad you enjoyed the ship. Looking forward to our NE/Canada sail in August and hoping that the Captain goes up the Hudson River before heading to sea.