Molokini Snorkel 2nd Day-Transportation etc.

Retired<3

Hello, we arrive to Maui/Kahului on Sunday with POA in December. I have planned to spend the first day in Maui on the Road to Hana with a rental car because of the extra time available. So, that left us with the second day to venture to Molokini and do the Pride of Maui tour. (POA doesn't offer the excursion the 2nd day.). It seems we have enough time since the boat doesn't take off till 6 p.m. What do you think is the best option transportation wise in doing this?

1. Keep our rental car and worry about parking, driving it down, returning it, and getting to ship.

2. Turn in rental car after first day and:

a. take Uber for three down there and back since taxis are apparently sky high, or

b. Pay the extra $30 per person, which is way higher than renting, to take their shuttle package that leaves from the ship area and returns you?

Overall value with convenience is what I'm looking for. I don't want to pay much higher for easiest, but cheapest may not be wise either.

Any other suggestions related to this? THANKS!!

If I am correctly assuming that Pride of Maui leaves from the Maalaea Harbor then I suggest you keep your car for an extra day. If you had to go to Lahaina I would not suggest this as traffic can be intense on Sundays.

If it is a morning trip you will have plenty of time to turn the car in before going back to the ship, and you will have the car to make any last minute stops for shopping or shave ice. JMO Cherie

p.s. google the distance and routes you will take and decide if you want to do it. Driving on Maui is really pretty easy.

If I am correctly assuming that Pride of Maui leaves from the Maalaea Harbor then I suggest you keep your car for an extra day. If you had to go to Lahaina I would not suggest this as traffic can be intense on Sundays.

Thanks! Yes, we would have to pick up and drive car from Kahului, wherever we parked the car, and get to Maaleaea Harbor by 7:30 a.m.. However, it would be Monday morning, the 2nd day of cruise. Ends around noon, and then we'd drive back, return to rental location, and get to ship by around 5 for 6 departure. Any suggestions on how best to do that or just take Uber would be appreciated. Want to keep it smooth and easy by knowing exactly what I'm doing. :).

Ends around noon' date=' and then we'd drive back, return to rental location, and get to ship by around 5 for 6 departure. Any suggestions on how best to do that or just take Uber would be appreciated. Want to keep it smooth and easy by knowing exactly what I'm doing. :).[/quote']

The drive from Maalaea to Kahului should only take half an hour max even on a weekday. If you have your own car, that leaves you several hours to further explore Maui (or even have a nice lunch or do some shopping) before returning the car.

The drive from Maalaea to Kahului should only take half an hour max even on a weekday. If you have your own car, that leaves you several hours to further explore Maui (or even have a nice lunch or do some shopping) before returning the car.

Thanks! That sounds like a plan, so our biggest worry is getting off ship, over to airport parking, and out by 7 a.m. to head down to Maalaea. Do you know if there are shuttles, uber, taxi that will leave at 645ish?

I did see that an average Uber ride is 20 each way, which seems easy and cheap for 3 if we can catch and go port to Maalaea back and forth, but you're right, we then lose hours to do something else. Maybe catch Uber to airport parking if shuttle isn't readily available. Anyone with experience or knowledge in transportation that early to airport and/or Maalaea?

I must have misunderstood, I thought you are renting a car your first day for the RTH and going to keep it for an extra day. If you are returning your car after the RTH and renting another car on the second day have you thought about Enterprise? I'm sure you have checked the opening times for the rental car companies you are considering. Personally I do not think that a 6:45a.m. pu at the cruise ship to go through the rental process is early enough. It's too bad that overnight parking is difficult but you might consider it so as to eliminate the rental procedure on the second day. Taking a 6:45a.m. cab/uber from the harbor to where your car is parked seems more doable for a 7:30a.m. arrival at Maalaea. JMO Cherie

I must have misunderstood, I thought you are renting a car your first day for the RTH and going to keep it for an extra day. If you are returning your car after the RTH and renting another car on the second day have you thought about Enterprise? I'm sure you have checked the opening times for the rental car companies you are considering. Personally I do not think that a 6:45a.m. pu at the cruise ship to go through the rental process is early enough. It's too bad that overnight parking is difficult but you might consider it so as to eliminate the rental procedure on the second day. Taking a 6:45a.m. cab/uber from the harbor to where your car is parked seems more doable for a 7:30a.m. arrival at Maalaea. JMO Cherie

Sorry for confusion. Yes, renting 1st day is for sure. The question was whether to keep it for the 2nd day (which basically means parking at airport) or taking Uber or ? directly from port. And, how the transportation is (cost, convenience, etc.) in both situations to either 1. get picked up straight from port and go to the Maalaea Harbor or 2. to get to the parking at airport to pick up our car and then down there about 7:30. And doing such so early in morning for Pride of Maui 7:30 call time for 8 departure. THANKS again!

Edited by Retired<3

I totally understand your dilemma. I like to max my time on any island so would want to have the rental car to use after the molokini trip. I will suggest again that you contact Enterprise Car Rental. I think that their Hana Hwy location is within walking distance of the port, about 1 mile. Their phone number is 808-871-1511. In your situation I would want to have a personal conversation with the location with an email confirming the info. If you can come back from Hana and park at their location overnight it might be a good choice. They have complimentary transportation to and from their location. The problem is with your early morning departure to Maalaea. Cherie

Sorry for confusion. Yes' date=' renting 1st day is for sure. The question was whether to keep it for the 2nd day (which basically means parking at airport) or taking Uber or ? directly from port. And, how the transportation is (cost, convenience, etc.) in both situations to either 1. get picked up straight from port and go to the Maalaea Harbor or 2. to get to the parking at airport to pick up our car and then down there about 7:30. And doing such so early in morning for Pride of Maui 7:30 call time for 8 departure. THANKS again![/quote']

We do have one idea that may/may not work for your particular situation. We aren't recommending anything, and this is NOT for people who need their cars in the wee hours to go to Haleakala for sunrise. Check the Hertz rental location at the Maui Beach Hotel. See if they will rent you a car for two days (picking it up at their location on Sunday) and be allowed to park it overnight and come back for it Monday morning. The hotel is a half mile or so up the street from the pedestrian entrance to the dock. You might need something from the Hertz people saying you can park overnight and are allowed to get your car before the office opens. The area isn't a place to walk at night, but it should be light out and people starting to go to work when you will need your car. This is an idea only, and can't say if Hertz would agree even if you were comfortable with the idea. Just something you might not have known about, that's all.

• 1 month later...
We do have one idea that may/may not work for your particular situation. We aren't recommending anything, and this is NOT for people who need their cars in the wee hours to go to Haleakala for sunrise. Check the Hertz rental location at the Maui Beach Hotel. See if they will rent you a car for two days (picking it up at their location on Sunday) and be allowed to park it overnight and come back for it Monday morning. The hotel is a half mile or so up the street from the pedestrian entrance to the dock. You might need something from the Hertz people saying you can park overnight and are allowed to get your car before the office opens. The area isn't a place to walk at night, but it should be light out and people starting to go to work when you will need your car. This is an idea only, and can't say if Hertz would agree even if you were comfortable with the idea. Just something you might not have known about, that's all.

Thanks so much! I had read something similar. We will check it out!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks so much! I had read something similar. We will check it out!

We are in a similar predicament , we would like to do the RTH Day 1 and keep our rental the second day and may park at the airport and try to take the rental shuttles back and forth but not sure what hours they run??? (Does anyone know?) Or I guess we could uber/taxi to go get the car when needed.

Please update us as to how it worked out for you. Thanks !

• 9 months later...
We are considering the same options. What did you end up doing?

Aloha! Just noting that few posters seem to return to share their experiences, so don't wait for answers. You would be wise to go ahead and do your own personal research. Give your Maui rental car agency a call to check on their shuttle hours, as hours may vary from island to island, and what the schedule was last year may be different now.

I have taken the POA over 10 times. And always have a car. You are underestimating this tour. It is essential you get an early start, since this snorkel trip can only run in the mornings. My tours have 6am check ins, going with several different vendors. Your choice is late and has a greater chance of not going to Molokini, I would never consider going later.

None of the car rental shuttle buses run that early. So your only option is to rent the car for 2 days, or pay for transportation.

I was just on the ship- One person had their car towed, when they parked at the mall. (big surprise). This is your UBER pick up area, they do not come into the port. One report was it cost over $60 for round trip.

We are considering the same options. What did you end up doing?

Unfortunately, the day we arrived, we took free car rental shuttle early in morning to rental location. Sadly, I broke my foot there and ended up in hospital good part of the day. So, with rest of time, we did do Road to Hana. Because of our circumstances, and the subsequent kindness and sympathy of the staff, they asked if there was anything they could do to help us. We asked if we could keep the car parked there for the night and pick up again next morning. They were gracious and agreed. So, the next morning, my husband took either the shuttle again or a taxi (he now can't remember) to the car rental and there was plenty of time to make it to the snorkel location. I think the plan was that he would see if shuttle was there. If not, he'd call taxi. He was very glad he kept car second day, so I think it might be worth it to park at airport or call and broker a deal locally with the car rental location. If you call 800 number, they aren't as helpful and can't make any plans or give specifics about terminal pick-ups etc. Also, with a little research, we found another option for the snorkel trip that leaves a little later too, if you want a little wiggle room. Other than broken foot, it worked out great for my husband and daughter. And, snorkel trip gave full refund with proof of emergency, which was great. Staying on the boat with broken foot and missing so much was the not so great part. Good luck!!

I have taken the POA over 10 times. And always have a car. You are underestimating this tour. It is essential you get an early start, since this snorkel trip can only run in the mornings. My tours have 6am check ins, going with several different vendors. Your choice is late and has a greater chance of not going to Molokini, I would never consider going later.

None of the car rental shuttle buses run that early. So your only option is to rent the car for 2 days, or pay for transportation.

I was just on the ship- One person had their car towed, when they parked at the mall. (big surprise). This is your UBER pick up area, they do not come into the port. One report was it cost over $60 for round trip.

I’m interested in the Molokini and Turtle Town snorkel trips as well. Any tour companies you can recommend? When you take the tours at 6am, where are you checking in? Where do you keep your rental car overnight, and what time do you suggest leaving? Thanks so much for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m interested in the Molokini and Turtle Town snorkel trips as well. Any tour companies you can recommend? When you take the tours at 6am, where are you checking in? Where do you keep your rental car overnight, and what time do you suggest leaving? Thanks so much for your help!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Most frequently I go with Boss Frog, occasionally Trilogy and Pacific Whale Foundation. I now park at the airport and use Uber, Vendors give you specific directions for checking in, Boss Frog checks in, in front of the boat, PWF checks in at their office etc. I'd suggest leaving 45 minutes ahead. I am picky where I am on a boat and want to be at the beginning of lines.

• 1 month later...

We just did the snorkeling trip with POA to Molokini the 2nd day. The trip was fine, but I really wish we had done it on our own. It really is a short ride to Maalea if you took a cab or decided to rent a car. The rental car places are not far. I never got a true feel for Maui that day because we were herded onto bus then to boat then back to bus to cruise. Snorkeling with 130 others is not fun. I got kick3d a few times.