Learning as first time cruiser and self planner

Hello,

I have never been on a cruise before. I am planning to travel solo on my first cruise and essentially my very first vacation in many years. I have been exploring cruise blogs and sites for the last 6 months and have understood that traveling alone on a cruise can be a costly experience and I suppose there is not much one can do about that unless cruise lines become more accommodating of solo travelers.

I have decided to embark on the Norwegian Getaway in September (have not paid yet, but would like to do so in a few days). I am very confused about certain options and was wondering if someone can please guide me.

1. I am thinking of choosing the cheapest balcony room, it comes without any promotions and I am not able to choose the room number or deck, is that a bad idea given this is my first time, I am concerned about being given an obstructed balcony or if I experience motion/sea sickness and I am not sure if certain areas of the boat may add to it should I be given a room in such a location. Therefore, is it better to pay up and get more flexibility (I am working on a budget).
  2. If I upgrade to the next level, I still do not get to choose the room but I become qualified to get two or 5 offers. However, adding the offers increased the total cost by $400 to $500 depending on the offers I choose, is it worth doing so? If I were to choose offers, it would be a wifi package and shore excursions. Is it beneficial to do so, or rather get the base price and pay as I go (if I did not upgrade, I would not pay for wifi but will participate in a few excursions)
  3. should one get the travel insurance from the cruise line or some other entity or avoid it completely?
  4. is there a website that may let me see what each port includes for free incase I did not want to venture out alone or participate in excursions.
  5. do they clean rooms everyday and provide toiletries?
  6. are tea, coffee, and juices charged? I am not a soda drinker and may or may not drink alcoholic beverages, I am an occasional drinker.
  7. should one bring cash, credit cards, or is there a different structure of payments on the ships?
  8. when shopping on ports, do I have to carry local currency?
  9. I hear stories about cell phone charges, is it better to completely turn it off or switch to airplane mode on the boat and what are the rules on land during port visits?
  10. Has anyone used airport transfers between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale? If so, how much are they?
  11. Norwegian blog has something about bringing a handbag for the last night to keep personal belongings, what is that about?
  12. I am very scared and anxious to be traveling solo on a cruise, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you and I look forward to the comments and advice.

Hi Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Sorry that I can't help much with your questions. You might be better (being it is a NCL cruise) to post on the NCL board. I do know that some of the NCL ships have single cabins. You might want to look into that.

Just a suggestion. Since this is your first cruise and you're going solo, with many questions, why not use a travel agent. There is no additional charge and mine, like most, throws in a little extra OBC and sometimes has a tray of chocolate covered strawberries, or cookies delivered to my cabin. A good travel agent can answered all your questions. If you decide, instead, to book directly through NCL, their cruise planners should also be able to answer every question you've posed here without hesitation.

Since I have also recently cruised, for the first time as a solo traveler, I do understand your concerns. However, either NCL or a good travel agent can put your mind at ease. NCL is not my cruise line of choice so I wouldn't attempt to answer your NCL specific questions.

Hello,

I have never been on a cruise before. I am planning to travel solo on my first cruise and essentially my very first vacation in many years. I have been exploring cruise blogs and sites for the last 6 months and have understood that traveling alone on a cruise can be a costly experience and I suppose there is not much one can do about that unless cruise lines become more accommodating of solo travelers.

I have decided to embark on the Norwegian Getaway in September (have not paid yet, but would like to do so in a few days). I am very confused about certain options and was wondering if someone can please guide me.

1. I am thinking of choosing the cheapest balcony room, it comes without any promotions and I am not able to choose the room number or deck, is that a bad idea given this is my first time, I am concerned about being given an obstructed balcony or if I experience motion/sea sickness and I am not sure if certain areas of the boat may add to it should I be given a room in such a location. Therefore, is it better to pay up and get more flexibility (I am working on a budget).

Not sure how NCL works, but other cruise lines have a "Guarantee cabin". You are guaranteed a cabin on the ship, in at least the category you booked. A cabin is then assigned shortly before the cruise. You may get an upgrade, but are stuck with the one assigned.

1. If I upgrade to the next level, I still do not get to choose the room but I become qualified to get two or 5 offers. However, adding the offers increased the total cost by $400 to $500 depending on the offers I choose, is it worth doing so? If I were to choose offers, it would be a wifi package and shore excursions. Is it beneficial to do so, or rather get the base price and pay as I go (if I did not upgrade, I would not pay for wifi but will participate in a few excursions)

Best to ask this question on the NCL Boards

1. should one get the travel insurance from the cruise line or some other entity or avoid it completely?

You will find many travel insurance threads on CC. The ship insurance generally eliminates the pre-existing conditions clauses, but are more expensive. You can try a local broker or online - insuremytrip.com

1. is there a website that may let me see what each port includes for free incase I did not want to venture out alone or participate in excursions.

Check the CC Travel Boards, Tripadvisor and I also use some port guides - http://www.tomsportguides.com/

1. do they clean rooms everyday and provide toiletries?

Can't speak for NCL, but cabins are normally serviced twice per day. Every cruise we have taken includes toiletries.

1. are tea, coffee, and juices charged? I am not a soda drinker and may or may not drink alcoholic beverages, I am an occasional drinker.

Again, probably best to submit this question on the NCL Boards. However, most mainstream cruise lines provide free basic tea & coffee and a couple of juices. Everything else costs extra

1. should one bring cash, credit cards, or is there a different structure of payments on the ships?

Ships are cashless, with your room key being your charge card. You must provide a credit card prior to boarding or cash in advance.

1. when shopping on ports, do I have to carry local currency?

Depends on where you cruise. We take US $, UK Sterling, Euros, Aus $ and/or NZ $ depending on the cruise, and a small amount (CAN$ 20) of local currency for each port. Other cruisers use local ATM's.

1. I hear stories about cell phone charges, is it better to completely turn it off or switch to airplane mode on the boat and what are the rules on land during port visits?

Sorry, don't have a cell phone - ditched it upon retirement.

1. Has anyone used airport transfers between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale? If so, how much are they?

We booked a local hotel that offered both airport pick-up and cruise terminal drop-off

1. Norwegian blog has something about bringing a handbag for the last night to keep personal belongings, what is that about?

Last night they request you put your suitcases outside your cabin. Princess request most of them before going to dinner, then the last suitcase when retiring for the evening.

1. I am very scared and anxious to be traveling solo on a cruise, any feedback would be appreciated.

Thapsnk you and I look forward to the comments and advice.

Have never cruised on NCL, but can answer some of your generic questions. You may want to contact a Travel Agent or conduct personal searches, as a number of cruise lines now offer single berth cabins

There is a Solo Cruisers forum too on CC - posting there might help you with some of your fears about going solo. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373 I've been traveling around the world solo for over 15 years, and (in my opinion) the most important thing is to be willing to roll with the punches and not get upset if what you thought was going to happen doesn't happen.

Hello,

I am thinking of choosing the cheapest balcony room, it comes without any promotions and I am not able to choose the room number or deck, is that a bad idea given this is my first time, I am concerned about being given an obstructed balcony or if I experience motion/sea sickness and I am not sure if certain areas of the boat may add to it should I be given a room in such a location. Therefore, is it better to pay up and get more flexibility (I am working on a budget). Balcony rooms are never obstructed. Cabins in the center and a lower deck are less susceptible to motion. You may not get motion sick at all even in rough weather. Do you get motion sick in cars and on roller coasters?

should one get the travel insurance from the cruise line or some other entity or avoid it completely?

We always get travel insurance independently.

is there a website that may let me see what each port includes for free incase I did not want to venture out alone or participate in excursions. No port will charge you as a passenger for being there. Port fees are automatically included in your cruise fare and paid by the ship. Many ports are close enough to a city so you can do things on your own. Check the destination forums.

do they clean rooms everyday and provide toiletries? Yes, they do.

are tea, coffee, and juices charged? I am not a soda drinker and may or may not drink alcoholic beverages, I am an occasional drinker. Ask in the NCL forum. Tea and coffee are usually free. Ice tea and lemonade as well on most ships. Juice maybe for breakfast.

should one bring cash, credit cards, or is there a different structure of payments on the ships? You pay with your room key.

when shopping on ports, do I have to carry local currency? Depends on the port. Caribbean ports accept US $.

I hear stories about cell phone charges, is it better to completely turn it off or switch to airplane mode on the boat and what are the rules on land during port visits? The "boat" is called a ship. If you have an international plan on your cell phone, you can make calls on land without extra charge for roaming.

Norwegian blog has something about bringing a handbag for the last night to keep personal belongings, what is that about? The hand bag or carry on is for your personal items. You will put your suitcase in the hallway the evening before disembarkation. Of course, you can take your luggage off the ship yourself, but it is inconvenient.

I am very scared and anxious to be traveling solo on a cruise, any feedback would be appreciated. I would be, too, but lots of people travel solo. There is a forum for solo cruisers on cruise critic.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi Heather

Welcome to cruise critic.

Heidi gave you a lot information to your questions.

You seem to be close to making your final arrangements. Just wondering since you are looking at NCL, are you looking at a sailing that has no "single supplement". As was mentioned, a solo cruise line traveler will most times have to pay as much as double fare for any given cabin.

NCL has many no single supplement cruises. If you sail on one of those it would save you a significant amount. NCL also has single occupancy cabins (these are interior cabins). Depending on the sailing, these might be an option, but some times come out more expensive than a regular cabin and you will have less space. Go to the NCL threads on this site and ask all specific question there.

Also, you mentioned considering a balcony cabin. Having a balcony adds considerably to the cost. Are you sure you need or want one? The thing about balconies, is that they are nice if you plan to use it. Are you thinking that you will be spending much time in your cabin, more specifically sitting on the balcony for hours at a time. If you are only likely to go out for a few minutes at a time, it is not worth the expense. Just saying that because many people only use their cabin for pit stops between activities and to sleep.

Most of the islands have things you can do that are either free or inexpensive, depending on your interests. This site has threads dedicated to each port of call. Go to the main "Boards Home" page and scroll down, you will see links for "port of calls". Read up and ask questions about each of your stops. Very often researching on Trip Advisor (or other internet sites) can give you ideas about what you may consider doing at each stop, and then you can return to this site to ask specific questions.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Hello,

2. If I upgrade to the next level, I still do not get to choose the room but I become qualified to get two or 5 offers. However, adding the offers increased the total cost by $400 to $500 depending on the offers I choose, is it worth doing so? If I were to choose offers, it would be a wifi package and shore excursions. Is it beneficial to do so, or rather get the base price and pay as I go (if I did not upgrade, I would not pay for wifi but will participate in a few excursions)
  3. should one get the travel insurance from the cruise line or some other entity or avoid it completely?
  4. is there a website that may let me see what each port includes for free incase I did not want to venture out alone or participate in excursions.
  5. do they clean rooms everyday and provide toiletries?
  6. are tea, coffee, and juices charged? I am not a soda drinker and may or may not drink alcoholic beverages, I am an occasional drinker.
  7. should one bring cash, credit cards, or is there a different structure of payments on the ships?
  8. when shopping on ports, do I have to carry local currency?
  9. I hear stories about cell phone charges, is it better to completely turn it off or switch to airplane mode on the boat and what are the rules on land during port visits?
  10. Has anyone used airport transfers between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale? If so, how much are they?
  11. Norwegian blog has something about bringing a handbag for the last night to keep personal belongings, what is that about?
  12. I am very scared and anxious to be traveling solo on a cruise, any feedback would be appreciated.

2. The excursion credit is often not worthwhile if you want to be budget conscious....privately booked excursions are likely to be less costly. But as a new cruiser, you might be more comfortable using the ship excursions.

3. Travel insurance is very worthwhile. Either through NCL or privately. Don't skip it.

5. Yes!

6. Specialty coffees are extra, otherwise, coffee, tea, juice (breakfast only?) are free. I think Iced tea and lemonade type drinks are also free.

7. Room key is linked to your credit card.

11. I think this is a reminder to keep some clothes for the last day as well as your morning toiletries out of the packed suitcases! I can imagine people packing up the night before, and having to leave the ship in PJs!

12. There is a solo traveler's group on board with activities and get-togethers for solo travelers. I am not certain, but i would hope that this group would include solo travelers who aren't in the single rooms.

Look for the Getaway's solo studio rates, very tiny but modern cabins. There will be a solo lounge where these cabins are located, usually an upper deck. You can meet and/or join other solos in the lounge for activities or excursions. An NCL staff will organize dinner seatings if you want to go with a group. (You can also visit the solo lounge if you booked a different type cabin but are sailing by yourself.)

Look at the solo thread here on CC in the Specialty Cruising section. Use a TA if you get overwhelmed. Most of all, enjoy your cruise!