Death in Family and Premature Disembarkation

Thermo55

Sadly, given the size of ships it wouldn't surprise me if at least once a cruise a passenger(s) have to disembark early to due to a serious family illness or bereavement. All cruise lines therefore should have the process of refunds / credit / restaurant package cancellations fine tuned and ready to run at the press of a button.

Since each event has it's own circumstances what you are suggesting is unrealistic.

Did you even read this?

Originally posted by Thermo55 Thanks to all who replied.

Our travel insurance specifically excluded cover for over 80 yeas of age and our early curtailment claim was rejected on that basis.

But my faith in Celebrity Cruises has been restored. Full credit for the unused portion of our cruise we can use for a future booking in the next 2 years.

Very satisfied with the outcome!

Yes read the original post which says nothing about insurance. The cruise line was under no legal requirement to offer any credit for the cruise fare. Anything given is customer good will.

We had no cover thru Celebrity & our Travel Insurance excluded any claim because of my Mother's age.

The Future Cruise Certificate provided $'s towards a future cruise and equated to our unused portion of the cruise which would have been approximately 50%.There were other ways that Celebrity helped too - booked emergency airfares, provided international phone calls, assisted with disembarkation, booked taxi, helped disembark quickly etc & the staff were most compassionate. We can only speak from experience.

I would not purchase cruise insurance that did not cover cruise interruption or cancelation due to a parents age. One of the reasons we purchase in the first place is for interruption or cancellation due to a non traveling family member.

The most important is medical evacuation and than medical, but I would say cancellation or interruption due to a non traveling family member comes after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks to all who replied.

Our travel insurance specifically excluded cover for over 80 yeas of age and our early curtailment claim was rejected on that basis.

But my faith in Celebrity Cruises has been restored. Full credit for the unused portion of our cruise we can use for a future booking in the next 2 years.

I am glad for you.

But, I am seeing more posts from people who did not have cruise insurance / correct coverage (where others pay for the coverage) where Celebrity is making exceptions and giving another cruise or amount of the cruise base fare for missed days.

In your case maybe they were more willing to make an exception because of the fact you did pay for insurance (it just did not cover your circumstance).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes read the original post which says nothing about insurance. The cruise line was under no legal requirement to offer any credit for the cruise fare. Anything given is customer good will.

I asked if you had read that the problem was solved. Obviously you only read the first post.

I asked if you had read that the problem was solved. Obviously you only read the first post.

Yes I also read the problem was solve so what is your point here? Just because problem was solved for the OP does not mean other members could not have same problem with different outcome.

Whilst I appreciate it is a very sad time to loose a parent having lost both of mine in their early 60's the OP has posted for the first time to condemn Celebrity Cruises. As other posters have said Insurance should cover all these re-imbursement unless there was a pre-existing condition. As we don't know where the OP is from and there are different rules for different countries it is hard to advise him/her.

Pre existing conditions clause only applies to the actual travelers....not their non traveling family members

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you even read this?

Originally posted by Thermo55 Thanks to all who replied.

Are you over 80? Or are you saying that your insurance won't cover you in case any of your non traveling over 80 family members die and you leave the ship due to that?

Really? So anyone with a non traveling family member over 80 are not covered if they leave a trip to go to their funeral? Because they were over 80?

Are you over 80? Or are you saying that your insurance won't cover you in case any of your non traveling over 80 family members die and you leave the ship due to that?

Really? So anyone with a non traveling family member over 80 are not covered if they leave a trip to go to their funeral? Because they were over 80?

Not all policies are the same so we need to read the fine print.

Not all policies are the same so we need to read the fine print.

So your policy required you to know the health status of all your family members?

Ok well then I guess cruisers can't cruise if they have a non traveling relative who might be receiving treatment for an issue that they may not have told you about or simply don't want you to know about

Next time speak directly to the insurance agent and say " I'm 60 my non traveling relative is 85 and seems healthy but should I inquire of them if their doctors are checking them out for anything?" Not all parents reveal medical issues to their kids we know that so my thinking is....

1. Self Insure trip interruption (but still get medical for yourself while traveling)

2. Or ask the right questions if buying a policy

3. Decide which degree of relative requires you to leave a trip. Parents siblings children of course...or...actually say....wait till I get home to make arrangements. Not as bad as it sounds btw if a parent is elderly. A few days makes no difference and families put off funerals all the time in order to gather the relatives up.

I'm wondering though...what happens when that elderly relative dies in their sleep from natural causes? Does the policy consider that prexisting? They were old afterall and it sounds like advanced age was considered an "issue" by your policy

Sorry but I'd never buy any policy that required me to know the health status of non traveling family members. Why? Because if you leave because they died then it was an emergency for you to leave and that is why you bought the policy. Plus...one cannot just ask their aunt if she is receiving chemo or a candidate for a pacemaker out of the blue. Or tell them that smoking may cause them to stroke out and your insurance won't cover you to leave a trip

Edited by maggie cruises

It wasn't my policy. I only buy emergency medical and evacuation insurance.

If someone in my family was deathly ill the last thing I'd be worried about is losing money on my cruise. A true medical emergency could be a true financial burden and something that should be insured.

Thanks to all who replied.

My condolences, & thank you for coming back & sharing the final outcome with us. Nice to see that Celebrity stepped up & helped you out.

Very sorry for your loss. We had traveled for many years on pins and needles, worried that one of our mothers would face dire circumstances. Thankfully, we were Home when these experiences happened. Glad to hear of your positive resolution.

Sorry for your loss and appreciate that Celebrity came good for you in the end.

I think the insurance cover for this type of event is often overlooked by many who cruise.

Especially as quite a few of us have elderly parents with varying degrees of health.

This is the policy wording from a 5 star rated travel insurance provided by a well know building society in the UK and very typicalof the T&C’s of a UK policy.

What you are not covered for (exclusions)

A terminal prognosisbeing given to a travelling companion, a member of your immediate family or abusiness partner prior to the journey being booked or the insurance being takenout, whichever is first.

1. A medical condition of a travellingcompanion, or (whether travelling or not) either a member of your immediatefamily or a business partner which has resulted in that person being a hospitalinpatient or being put on a waiting list for hospital treatment in the 12months before the start of this insurance or you booking the journey, whicheveris later.

Now this may or may not be known to you depending on how much information your immediate family choose to share.

I cannot find an upper age limit in the immediate family cover, which would indicate there isn't one but the policy holders age limit is 74.

If you cannot afford the cost of cancelling mid-cruise due to the unexpected death of an elderly parent of declining health it is very important you speak to your travel insurance company to find out the level of cover supplied.

Ben.

Sorry for your loss and appreciate that Celebrity came good for you in the end.

I think the insurance cover for this type of event is often overlooked by many who cruise.

Especially as quite a few of us have elderly parents with varying degrees of health.

This is the policy wording from a 5 star rated travel insurance provided by a well know building society in the UK and very typicalof the T&C’s of a UK policy.

What you are not covered for (exclusions)

A terminal prognosisbeing given to a travelling companion, a member of your immediate family or abusiness partner prior to the journey being booked or the insurance being takenout, whichever is first.

1. A medical condition of a travellingcompanion, or (whether travelling or not) either a member of your immediatefamily or a business partner which has resulted in that person being a hospitalinpatient or being put on a waiting list for hospital treatment in the 12months before the start of this insurance or you booking the journey, whicheveris later.

Now this may or may not be known to you depending on how much information your immediate family choose to share.

I cannot find an upper age limit in the immediate family cover, which would indicate there isn't one but the policy holders age limit is 74.

If you cannot afford the cost of cancelling mid-cruise due to the unexpected death of an elderly parent of declining health it is very important you speak to your travel insurance company to find out the level of cover supplied.

Ben.

I agree. I have never travelled anywhere worldwide or in the UK without full insurance. I find it inconceivable that people do and i know they do . We have our insurance as part of a package with one of our bank accounts and have used all parts of the package at one time or the other