Question for Lottie A trip lucca

procter

Lottie,

Can you advise who you used for your private trip to Lucca as I still cannot get details from Azamara re logistics and I am certainly NOT paying £2000 + for private car.

I recognise you cannot put details on here but if you could send details to geoffkendall at hotmail dot com I would be grateful.

Thanks

Good grief! Do they want you to buy the car!

No problem at all.

We have been using Paolo's services for years and he is not only very reliable but also the most charming gentleman you could meet. He was unable to take us to Lucca himself last week as he has an appointment that day, but he came to the pier to say Hi and to introduce his substitute driver Max to us. Max was equally pleasant with excellent English and can tailor make your trip to your exact requirements. He does not guide you through Lucca but provides a map and with minimal research Lucca is very easy to DIY. We spent 4 hours in Lucca and had a lovely lunch in Piazza Amfitheatro and then we went to the very nice seaside resort of Viareggio for gelato and a wander. A very pleasant day.

The cost was about €370 in all. There were 5 of us so it was a very reasonable cost indeed...the car can take up to 6 people.

I will email you Paolo's website address later.

Tell him Lottie and Hazel say Hi.

Last summer it was very easy to get taxis right at the port. I planned to get the taxi to the train station, and then take the train to Lucca. The taxi ride was offered at a very reasonable rate for the trip to Lucca (if I had been a group of 2-4). I realize most people do not like that last minute uncertanity, but if you were OK with doing the train as a back up, that might work. I took the train as I was travelling solo. Lucca is lovely to walk around.

Also I disembarked one night early in Livorno and the Azamara concierge arranged the taxi to Florence (I had OBC) and it was ~$100. The price you were given is excessive.

Last summer it was very easy to get taxis right at the port. I planned to get the taxi to the train station, and then take the train to Lucca. The taxi ride was offered at a very reasonable rate for the trip to Lucca (if I had been a group of 2-4). I realize most people do not like that last minute uncertanity, but if you were OK with doing the train as a back up, that might work. I took the train as I was travelling solo. Lucca is lovely to walk around.

Also I disembarked one night early in Livorno and the Azamara concierge arranged the taxi to Florence (I had OBC) and it was ~$100. The price you were given is excessive.

This wasn't a taxi ride Leo...it was a personalised tour. We think it is very good value and have known Paolo for years. He takes us exactly where we want to go and for how long we want to stay. It can be difficult to get a taxi back from Lucca to Livorno in the early evening as well.

We too will be planning to make a day trip into Lucca from Livorno, but we will be 8 in total. I was planning just to take the trains there and back, knowing that with our times there will not be a direct train either way (stop in Pisa). It looks like train tickets will be about 30euro each, round-trip. I was half tempted to think about renting a utility van and making the drive, but am a little nervous about making sure the right sized vehicle is there...don't want last minute surprises.

Looks like Azamara is charging about $65us for the 'day on your own'...but the day is only like 2.5 hours in Lucca according to the description. Thinking that we might want more time...can those who know Lucca confirm whether 2.5 hours seems too short?

If anyone has suggestions for a larger party of 8 option for something in the 30-75 Euro per person range which gives us more time, I'm all ears!!!

This wasn't a taxi ride Leo...it was a personalised tour. We think it is very good value and have known Paolo for years. He takes us exactly where we want to go and for how long we want to stay. It can be difficult to get a taxi back from Lucca to Livorno in the early evening as well.

I was commenting about the 2200 Euro price Azamara was quoting for a private tour. Non-Azamara private tours (such as yours with Paolo, which sounded lovely) are ALWAYS a better value. My point was that sometimes the Azamara onboard consierge may come with less costly option than pre planning with Land Dicsoveries. At least that has been my experience.

Looks like Azamara is charging about $65us for the 'day on your own'...but the day is only like 2.5 hours in Lucca according to the description. Thinking that we might want more time...can those who know Lucca confirm whether 2.5 hours seems too short?!

Hope your able to do it on your own! I had about 4 hours in Lucca on an Azamara excursion and still felt that time was short.

Melissa

We too will be planning to make a day trip into Lucca from Livorno, but we will be 8 in total. I was planning just to take the trains there and back, knowing that with our times there will not be a direct train either way (stop in Pisa). It looks like train tickets will be about 30euro each, round-trip. I was half tempted to think about renting a utility van and making the drive, but am a little nervous about making sure the right sized vehicle is there...don't want last minute surprises.

Looks like Azamara is charging about $65us for the 'day on your own'...but the day is only like 2.5 hours in Lucca according to the description. Thinking that we might want more time...can those who know Lucca confirm whether 2.5 hours seems too short?

If anyone has suggestions for a larger party of 8 option for something in the 30-75 Euro per person range which gives us more time, I'm all ears!!!

We used Italytoursharing.com for a private tour to Lucca last year; it and the other two tours we had with them were amazing! Very reasonable prices, excellent driver guides.

Sent from my iPad using Forums