How Early Can We Disembark in NY

chatdad

Arriving NY on QM2 on Sept 9 with flight out of JFK at 11:45. Would it be better to do self-assist (and if so ideas on what time that may begin typically) or wait 'our turn'? Seemed to recall on other cruises (not Cunard) we've been able to specify our flight plans on the cruise personalize page to help them prioritize disembarkation times. Don't see such a place on Cunard's site.

Haven't decided yet on pre-arranging car service, taxi or Uber. Looks like Uber and taxi pricing are pretty similar. (Full disclosure, haven't used Uber before though have the app and account set up).

I'll let others address the typical disembarkation times for self-disembarkation vs. standard.

But regarding cab vs Uber, my understanding is that there are usually plenty of taxi cabs available at the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. If you do decide to use Uber, it's remarkably simple and almost fun to use. The app is quite intuitive. I've used Uber or Lyft many times and I've never ever had any type of issue. The drivers have always been completely competent with directions via their smartphones, and their English language skills have been consistently 'good' to 'excellent'. Additionally, it's very unusual that I haven't enjoyed the conversation. My personal preference is to use Lyft, mainly because most of these drivers are registered with both Uber and Lyft, and almost all of the drivers I've asked have said they prefer driving for Lyft. Additionally, I've been able to take advantage of more promotional discounts using Lyft (i.e., 50% off first 8 rides, etc.).

Regarding cabs in NY, if I don't know exactly where I'm going, I never get in a cab in NY unless the driver clearly has use of a map app on their smartphone. Seriously, I check. If their smartphone isn't clearly visible on their dash with a map app engaged, I simply get the next cab. But, if I know where I'm going and there are cabs available, I'll always hail a cab before a Lyft/Uber. I've rarely had any type of issue, but if something doesn't feel right, I simply get out and grab the next cab. If I'm in an area where I can't find a cab, that's when I turn to Lyft or possibly Uber.

Happy Travels!

Edited by steve1young

Hi,

The ship is usually cleared by 6:30-7 AM and given your flight time from JFK, I’d suggest that you take Self-help( which means you have to handle your luggage) which is announced right after the ship is cleared. You need to move quickly for that flight, given possible traffic and such. There are flat fees for cabs to JFK and since you are outside of Manhattan you can grab a yellow or a green cab (green cabs are for the outer boroughs and Manhattan above 96th St.)

Good luck and enjoy QM2.

Here's a tip I just read that I wanted to pass on:

If you're disembarking in New York, don't worryabout transport - we grabbed a cab immediately on exit and paid far less thanfor a car service to our midtown hotel. Also, if lines at immigration seemlong, grab a porter - they were taking their passengers to an expedited linethat moved quickly and efficiently. Worth it for the tip!

Thanks for the tips and input on timing. We'll definitely go the self assist route and the porter idea seems the right way to go (saw this in action last cruise we did out of Bayonne as we stood in line). Hopefully Sunday traffic is a bit more light than most days.

With respect, I never understand why folks leave so little margin with their transfer bookings.

Notwithstanding Cunard's reliable track record, on a weeklong trans-Atlantic voyage there are innumerable events that could delay arrival and disembarkation by an hour or three, or that could delay your ground transfer.

Airport security can be unforgiving, such that one should allow an additional hour or more beyond recommended arrival times for any but the most routine flights at quiet airports, let alone at busy terminals such as JFK.

Why not simply stay one extra night in Brooklyn or in Manhattan, and entirely avoid the stress of rushing between quay and airport? Presumably passengers aboard an ocean liner are already travelling at a leisurely pace, so why ruin the mood with a panicky disembarkation?

Notwithstanding that most hotels will not check you in until the afternoon, almost invariably they will accept luggage into a secure holding area from whatever morning hour you arrive.

Everyone's circumstances are different ("your mileage may vary") but I've seen too many folks panicking at air terminals when their connections are at risk, all because they left too little margin and assumed there would be no delays.

For consideration ...

Unlike Southampton, where everyone is pre-cleared before leaving the ship, no such arrangements exist for entries into NYC.

Disembarkation can only begin after the ship has received permission to do so from US Customs & Border Protection.

Having said that, an arrival in Brooklyn by Cunard is usually quite routine for USCBP and you can expect to leave, with all your baggage, as a "Self-help Disembark" around 15 minutes after the ship's been made secure at the berth. So if your scheduled arrival time is (typically) 6:30 am, you can expect to be able to leave from around 6:45 am.

If you do not have (pre-arranged) self-help disembarkation, the first "General Disembarkation" starts at 8:00 am and continues ,according to the colour code you have been assigned, until about 11:00 am. You must then find and pick up all your baggage in the transit shed before lining up for USCBP with all your correctly completed documentation.

Failure to comply with USCBP regulations (which are diligently applied these days - and subject to short-notice amendment) can lead to delays, whether you are visiting the USA, transiting through

or returning home to the USA.

Edited by Canuker

Could someone please tell me the flat rates from Red Hook in Brooklyn to each of the three main airports in New York and New Jersey? I would appreciate knowing. Not sure which airport we will use for our next crossing.

Two years ago we used a car service. I thought I would order it for 11:00 am figuring the rush would be over by then. The area was still packed with cars picking up disembarking passengers. Might be easier to just take the first taxi in line.

Vintage CCG, understand what you're saying and while we're coming into NYC a day early for embarkation (which is a departure from my norm as I typically arrive for a cruise day of departure - risky yes but no missed boardings - yet and as our first TA crossing didn't want this one to be the first time we have been delayed) going home, there's really no stress as if we don't make the flight, we'll just rebook it to whatever flight we can get on. To be honest (and I know I'll get slammed a bit for this comment), NYC holds little attraction for us so an extra day isn't all that enticing (ok have visited the city, just not our cup of tea).

Do appreciate all the feedback and we'll look to get off as early as we can and make way to JFK via taxi. From there we'll see what happens and go with the flow.

Vintage CCG, understand what you're saying and while we're coming into NYC a day early for embarkation (which is a departure from my norm as I typically arrive for a cruise day of departure - risky yes but no missed boardings - yet and as our first TA crossing didn't want this one to be the first time we have been delayed) going home, there's really no stress as if we don't make the flight, we'll just rebook it to whatever flight we can get on. To be honest (and I know I'll get slammed a bit for this comment), NYC holds little attraction for us so an extra day isn't all that enticing (ok have visited the city, just not our cup of tea).

Do appreciate all the feedback and we'll look to get off as early as we can and make way to JFK via taxi. From there we'll see what happens and go with the flow.

That's fair and sorry if my comment came across as critical of your preferences.

As I say, it was more a reaction to the common sight at airports of people freaking out after cutting their connections too closely, and I often wonder why they hadn't been more prudent. The consequences are simply too severe to risk forfeiting an airfare as a result of a potential delayed arrival of a mere few hours.

For my part I make a distinction between my just-in-time business connections and the much wider margins I plan for any high-risk vacation connections. Before a cross-country Amtrak trip on the California Zephyr I took advantage of an extra 36 hours in Chicago to explore the city and to load up on supplies for the trip.

Similarly for this voyage, I've booked a few days in Manhattan prior to departure (at less than 1/3rd the cost of the Cunard-linked accommodations in an equal or better hotel), then a couple of nights in Brooklyn upon disembarkation to continue the vacation.

For me, NYC and London are two of my favourite urban centres, and since I've got to get myself to and from NY anyway (for me it's a 7-hour drive) I prefer to take advantage of the opportunity.

To each their own ...

I returned from QM2 yesterday. Walk-off started at about 7AM (when we walked off at 7:10 and it took about 14 minutes to make it through to the parking lot - most of the time was due to the distance walked, and the need to wait for the elevator as the escalator was still out of service in the terminal).

This however was not our first choice, but we were advised our only choice given my need to be back to work on time that morning. Otherwise, those residing on decks 4,3 and 2 were scheduled for 10:45 AM, which was to late for us. We were advised that we could disembark at an earlier time if we had booked transport with Cunard (which didn't apply to us anyway as our car was in the parking lot).

For the record (as we might receive some "hate-mail" replies for being honest), I asked several different people if there was any other option / chance to receive an earlier disembarkation, including our stateroom attendant, the answer was politely no, there is no other option - either wait until your deck is called or carry off your own bags.