Back on Epic not even slightly solo!

smileygirl_68

The trip to pick up the beautiful Epic in Barcelona started on September 16th, embarkation is on September 17th. I'm writing the date like that to make sure no one thinks my holiday starts on the 9th of Sixteenuary, an erroneous date juxtaposition of the Americanly challenged. I am travelling with my friend this time, I'm hoping my selfish solo ways won't ruin a friendship of some 30 years standing. There has been little of note to report since our arrival at the Airport of the Manchesters...the exec 1903 lounge for above par T3 passajeros was blummin amazin....for example my comment that 'last time I was here they had champagne ' was met with bowing and scraping worthy of a 1920s parlour scene and resulted in an almighty popping of the corks that I barely managed to consume.

Our flight was scheduled for 330pm. Despite no aircraft at the gate, the GBP (Great British Public) did what they do best...queuing.

cb0d5b7ce09c5e60ee2fdae77b50fa00.jpgb172372c198091c547a3e3cd26eab7e2.jpg

My fear of flying was once again nowhere to be seen. My travelling companion saw this as a sign that she could sleep off the gallons of fizz we'd consumed before the flight, so I entertained myself by taking unflattering photos

37b6f2656e6e6259e3aaed55f062e6b8.jpg

We were shocked to discover there was no alcohol being served on the Vueling flight...I don't know why, but I'm pretty certain it wasn't anything I had done. Although I did receive a note with the bottle of Veuve I bought in duty free

996231d7c84b794c19f45cdb920f99c5.jpg

I took note of the word 'advised' and chose not to see it as a challenge on this occasion.

Next up, getting to our hotel, dinner and waking up on cruise morning!

We are staying at the Barcelona Airport Hotel. I've stayed here before and it's perfect for a pre cruise stopover. I'd usually fly in on the day of the cruise but the Sunday/Sunday flight prices were insane. It was cheaper to fly a day early and stay in the hotel. There's a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, first time I stayed I just hopped a cab but this time we decided to try the shuttle. So, after collecting our cases whilst avoiding an odd, swaying chap who appeared to be 'off his face' (and possibly the reason for the dry flight), encountering a local lady who took her dog for a wee in the ladies and another local lady (possibly 'of the night') who beckoned me towards her and muttered something involving a cost of 5 Euro, we followed the map to the shuttle stop. At this point I'll cut to the chase, the map is wrong, you don't head directly out of the lift to the 'parking meeting point' as labelled and clearly visible on exiting the lift. Oh no, you hang a left and go to where all the shuttle buses are. I know this because after waiting 30 minutes, calling the hotel and then deciding a cab (20 Euro minimum fare) was now required we saw the shuttle bus pulling away as we stomped and huffed our way back into the terminal. On arrival at the hotel, my penchant for inappropriate swooning was satisfied by Guillermo (gifted name) at the check in desk. I'm sure he smiled and giggled along as I drooled all over his pristine desk. The hotel offer a shuttle to the pier for 11 Euro, I booked our seats as I've used this service before and it does stop exactly where it says, which is nice. We got to our room, put the Veuve on ice and headed for dinner. Club sandwiches and beer set us up for a heavy night of sleeping, so we returned to our room, chugged half the fizz and saved the rest for a pre breakfast livener.

And here we are, cruise day, the 9th of Seventeenuary....breakfast was great, a buffet full of all you can eat Spanish meat (no sign of Guillermo...) plus fruit, hot food and pastries etc. It's enough to make sure the gap between leaving for the ship and being close to another food source does not become a cause for anxiety. We're off to catch the shuttle to the port now, next stop the ship of dreams!!

The queuing to board an aircraft still baffles me. My wives parents did it for 45 minutes when we were with them for a few days away last year, we sat there laughing at the stupidity of it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On budget airlines there is always a fight for space to stow your carry-on. If it is full you might have to place your luggage in the hold. IF you have carry-on only, it is a nuisance to have to then wait for your luggage to come out.

That is the only reason that I would get into the queue.

Well folks. We are on board and the ship is just as beautiful as ever. Whilst waiting for our shuttle we saw an older chap throwing some shapes to the music in his head, I think there was some Shakira and a bit of Steps as his hips did not lie and his phalanges were most certainly reaching for the stars. Good on him I say. We met Vladimir in Shakers, who tried valiantly to explain how the UBP works. I nodded impatiently until I could stand it no longer and pointed at my 'been here before' status on the freestyle card. He soon got the message, whopping up our drinks and announcing 'see you in 5 minutes'....I like him already. My wonderful travelling companion is in awe of the ship and my heart is singing with happiness as I show her around like a proud and occasionally annoying parent. I'm trying not to to wax lyrical about the time this or that or the other happened but I think she is too happy to care.

She's been given strict instructions to make me leave spice and head to our room once they are available. Last night we rehearsed the script as follows..

Me: ooh the cabins are ready

Her: great, let's go

Me: in a minute, let's just have one more drink

Her: that's a good idea, we can take it with us

It seems foolproof, but only time will tell....

Loving the start of your review, and your humor. Just off Epic from Barcelona on Sept. 3rd - hope your cruise is as good as ours was!

You know, I think it might be! I'm definitely a glass always full kinda girl and I'm sure that looking for the good not the bad in everything really adds to the magic of any adventure. So glad you had a fabby trip, hope you're coming back for more!

We did the meet and mingle, greet thing today, Bluesmania did a sterling job of bringing us reprobates together and as always it was great to see the crew fraternising with the enemy. The F&B guy, manny, was so right when he said raise any issues now, not at the end of the trip when it's too late to fix it. The serial complainers would probably have complained that they were being forced to complain when NCL said they should, not at a leisurely complaining time of their choosing, it is freestyle after all

We did the meet and mingle, greet thing today, Bluesmania did a sterling job of bringing us reprobates together and as always it was great to see the crew fraternising with the enemy. The F&B guy, manny, was so right when he said raise any issues now, not at the end of the trip when it's too late to fix it. The serial complainers would probably have complained that they were being forced to complain when NCL said they should, not at a leisurely complaining time of their choosing, it is freestyle after all

LOL !!! Thanks for the morning laugh!

If there will ever be a Competition for best post, you will win with this one hands down!!! [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Can I live up to my 'mummy' status and say to please be careful. I will be on the Epic at the end of next month, so I want to read your review but you are making me nervous.

I was thinking the same thing and I'm not even a mum [emoji33] But seriously looks you are gonna have s blast I think you should come along on the transatlantic you'd add some spice to the long sea days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good morning everyone! Well, yesterday was our sea day, and really there wasn't much to do except hit the bars. It's a chore of course but I forced myself to go along with it just to please my travelling companion. Black Russians were the drink du jour for me....pretty awesome they were. I decided to have my hair cut at the Spa. My regular hairdresser must have been having an off day when I went for my pre cruise snip and it just wasn't right, so I was hoping the Spa team could fix it. I have only compliments about the whole experience, Jenny Scissorhands did a fantastic job and I'm delighted. We dined in Manhatten, and I took the opportunity for more borrowed hat and glasses pictures. We met a group of gorgeous but unavailable boys on their first cruise and they gleefully took my advice that Bliss is the top spot for some male bonding after hours. We bumped in to David this morning who was a little worse for wear despite not picking up any meat from the Bliss market. He's determined to continue his quest though, and we will be watching with interest to see how it all unfolds.

d94ec05798519540cf179b6a63ea4115.jpge13ac6ddd06093fea427e216b113d9e7.jpg77221826fada6eaafda18e40af64c316.jpg