Whales

mdenis

We are doing a southbound inside passage in July. I am very interested in seeing whales. However, I have seen humpback whales on many previous whale watching trips out of cape cod and San Diego. Is it necessary to take a whale watching excursion, or will I be likely to see whales from the ship-we have a balcony cabin. Trying to get the most unique experiences possible. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the conditions are right you can see whales.Any place between Skagway and the entrance to Inside passage at the North end of Vancouver Island is prime whale country. The best way would still be to take a whale watching tour . More chances of seeing whales and other sea animals.

Realize a balcony is less than 50% of the viewing potential and forward viewing is superior to side. IF you spend a large amount of time looking and have a good pair of wide angle binoculars (necessary in my opinion) then likely you will see whales.

Certainly depends on your priorities which doesn't seem to be humpbacks? With a one way trip more of interest, could be Prince William Sound or Kenai fjords. I never miss going out both areas, multiple times. :)

I also do take multiple trips out of Gloucester. every season. But always am on whale watches out of Alaska too.

Did a Carnival cruise last August and saw a ton of whales. Most of them were between Ketchican and Victoria, but we saw them throughout the cruise. Our on board naturalist said that was the most she had ever seen on a cruise. A good pair of binoculars is a definite must, perhaps more than one pair so you don't have to share. Also a camera with a good zoom. We did spend a lot of time on the balcony but that was because we we seeing so many whales and the weather was nice. Decided not to do an excursion since we had so many pictures from the ship.

Did a Carnival cruise last August and saw a ton of whales. Most of them were between Ketchican and Victoria, but we saw them throughout the cruise. Our on board naturalist said that was the most she had ever seen on a cruise. A good pair of binoculars is a definite must, perhaps more than one pair so you don't have to share. Also a camera with a good zoom. We did spend a lot of time on the balcony but that was because we we seeing so many whales and the weather was nice. Decided not to do an excursion since we had so many pictures from the ship.

I'll speculate your cruise was in May??? Michelle on board?

Here is my Whale that played with all of us cruisers while in Port in Juneau. There were three whales in the bay playing while we were docked June 1 2017. What a beautiful creature. From what I have been told by a frequent Alaska cruiser you can see Orca's in Victoria but it is best to take a tour. Remember the time of year makes a big difference. I did not see one Orca on my 10 day cruise from San Francisco but I was too early in the year.

38607167722_2c13b8d772_k.jpgCarols Whale May 2017 by toescat, on Flickr

We have seen whales from the ship - never a guarantee on excursions that you will see them. If you don’t see whales, there is so much other wildlife to see.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The tour operators in Juneau, at least the ones I know about, guarantee whale sightings or your money back. Our tour...they told us that, in 11 years of operating, no refunds were given.

The tour operators in Juneau, at least the ones I know about, guarantee whale sightings or your money back. Our tour...they told us that, in 11 years of operating, no refunds were given.

There is 100% siting of at least tails in Auke Bay.

Here is my Whale that played with all of us cruisers while in Port in Juneau. There were three whales in the bay playing while we were docked June 1 2017. What a beautiful creature. From what I have been told by a frequent Alaska cruiser you can see Orca's in Victoria but it is best to take a tour. Remember the time of year makes a big difference. I did not see one Orca on my 10 day cruise from San Francisco but I was too early in the year.

38607167722_2c13b8d772_k.jpgCarols Whale May 2017 by toescat, on Flickr

awesome photo.