Cancellation insurance

Lika

We have cruised with Cunard since 1964 and have never taken out any travel insurance. Having booked on QM2 World 94 nets cruise on Jan 10 2019 we are considering Cunard Care policy. Has anyone experience with this option? Any other ideas?

I think they may have changed the terms since I last purchased it however, I had to cancel (before the cruise started) due to medical issue and received a refund. There was some paperwork I had to fill out and send in. It also required a statement from my doctor saying I could not travel. I live in the US and depending on where you live the terms may be different.

I am not sure I would be satisfied with Cunard Care on a long trip far away from home. Depending on whether or not your regular health insurance covers the trip I might consider a third party policy that is more comprehensive.

There are probably other boards that deal with travel insurance in general.

Also, some travel insurance has to be bought very soon after the purchase of the cruise or pre-existing conditions may not be covered assuming the insurance provides coverage for pre-existing conditions. Depends on the insurance company and where you live. As I stated before there are other boards and web sites that have much more info.

Also, from what I have read and heard insurance companies are very careful to NOT payout if the item is not squarely within the terms of coverage. Unfortunately you have to read the fine print.

When we were aboard the Rembrandt (es-Rotterdam) when Premier went bankrupt, I was fortunate because I had third-party insurance, while those without or who had bought it from the cruise line were sunk.

Even without the bankruptcy of the carrier, third party offerings generally provide much better coverage for less cost than the lines. You also can find a policy to exactly meet your needs with a wide variety of covered situations and amounts.

There are 2-3 sites, I believe, but we've been happy with www.insuremytrip.com for years. Note - I live in the US. If you live elsewhere, the site may not be appropriate to you (I honestly have no idea). Also, as others have mentioned, if you want "cancel for any reason" coverage, you may have to purchase it within a few days of your first payment in order to get the best plans.

- Mark

My husband was in the ships hospital for observation recently and the bill was $3000. Yes, I did mean three thousand dollars. That was from 19.30 until 08.00 when he was taken off in Gibraltar.

I have never travelled without Travel Insurance and I always use Cunard Care-on Holland America I use Travelguard because their best policy only reimburses 80%. I was supposed to travel on the QE World Cruise in 2015 when THE DAY BEFORE! I was to fly to meet the ship in Sydney I was found to have a cancer which had to be dealt with immediately. I followed the claim directions for Cunard Care-I had a check in 5 days for my entire fare and in another 5 days I had a complete reimbursement for my land tours - except those that were non-refundable.:D

I am probably wrong, but I thought it was a part of the terms and conditions that all passengers had travel insurance?

Costs can mount rapidly. On one occasion my father was taken seriously ill whilst on a Cunard cruise, just after entering the Aegean after a visit to Instanbul. Only at the last minute did the Turkish authorities agree that he and the rest of our party could be taken ashore to Turkey. The other avenue being explored by the ship's crew in case the Turkish authorities was for my father to be taken from.the ship by helicopter to Athens and the rest of us to go to the next port (Rhodes) and then get from Rhodes to Athens.

He was in hospital for four days before being allowed to fly home. As it was the cost ran to five figures. Had we not been able to go ashore to Turkey, then it is easy to imagine the cost of a specially chartered helicopter, plus medical personnel on on top of all the other expenses.

No insurance does seem a very risky option! I can understand that it gets more difficult to get cover as one ages and also if there are pre-existing conditions.

A couple of people I know have had costs run to well into 6 figures.

Is it worth the risk of no or insufficient cover?

As to where to get it from, shop around and check the small print!

Yes, medical care on a ship can be expensive, depending. Recently on another line (not Cunard), my husband fell while in port and was examined and bandaged on board. The care took about 5 minutes time of the doctor and nurse. The bill was for $1,000. Our home medical insurance refused to pay (I think they were as shocked as we were), but we did get reimbursement from the trip insurance we had bought through the cruise line. Note that I've been treated on Cunard for the infamous Cunard Cough, and the cost was very reasonable. Maybe because treating the Cunard Cough is like work on an assembly line?

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot understand anybody travelling anywhere abroad without adequate travel insurance. On every cruise we have taken there has been a death or somebody having to be helicoptered off.

This costs a small fortune.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Whatever travel insurance you decide on, take time to thoroughly read the small print, and then read it again, and again.

A few months ago I took out a policy for a forthcoming cruise, and it was only recently that I read the small print and realised that the policy didn't cover cruise holidays.

My fault entirely, but thankfully I was able to upgrade the policy.