All Things Avalon

FuelScience

What type of clothes are worn at night for normal dinners on board. I have read that clothing is casual, what would be examples of casual for a woman. Also, I read that some people have not had time to shower or change clothes for dinner, is that normal. This is our first river cruise and are unsure how to pack.

Thanks

Dennis

For women slacks/capris or a skirt. For men slacks and collared shirt. For captains dinner a dressier top for women and maybe a button down shirt for men. No sport coat needed! There is also laundry service provided for a fee.

As I recall most tours return late afternoon and dinner begins at 7. Afternoon tours are usually an extra cost.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just returned from an Avalon cruise, Prague to Bucharest. Never again will I let Avalon book the flights. We flew from Manchester to Prague via Frankfurt, only had an hour to catch the connecting flight, whilst we just made it our cases did not so we had a delay in getting our luggage.

The trip didn’t start well, we had to leave for the airport at 2am so no sleep and a very, very tied start to our trip.

Next time I’ll book my own flights, and hotels and fly direct.

We just got back from the Zurich to Vienna run. 12 nights. Beautiful weather. Highs around 80 most days. Awesome cruise on the Artistry II. Fantastic Cruise director: Helmut. Great staff. Food was very good. Great wines. Excellent service in restaurant and bar. Waiters would bring you about anything you wanted.

Great A/C on the ship. Amazing water pressure in the shower. We had one stretch of low water that was "iffy." No other ship lines were getting through. They gave us a free "optional excursion" to get everyone off the ship then sailed through the day and met us at a remote dock later that afternoon. I think we just made it because the Avalon ship one day behind had to bus people between ships through that stretch (Regensburg to Passau. When we got to Passua there were many ships lined up along the river, unable to proceed west bound. They were shocked to see us arriving from the West.

This was our third Avalon in the past four and a half years. We are already looking for the next one!

Boarding Time in Nuremberg

We are on Avalon's Legendary Danube cruise in November '19. Prior to that we are spending a week at a timeshare in western Germany close to the borders of Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg leaving us 5 nights until we board the Illumination in Nuremberg. We will have a rental car with pickup at FRA and return in Nuremberg.

After the timeshare stay we plan on spending 2 nights in Colmar FR and then on to Lucerne CH, where I'm thinking 3 nights there is ideal. Google says its a little over a 5 hour drive from Lucerne to Nuremberg.

If we depart Switzerland on the day we sail from Nuremberg will that be doable? Or would you advise spending the night prior to we sail in Nuremberg? Thanks!

Boarding Time in Nuremberg

We are on Avalon's Legendary Danube cruise in November '19. Prior to that we are spending a week at a timeshare in western Germany close to the borders of Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg leaving us 5 nights until we board the Illumination in Nuremberg. We will have a rental car with pickup at FRA and return in Nuremberg.

After the timeshare stay we plan on spending 2 nights in Colmar FR and then on to Lucerne CH, where I'm thinking 3 nights there is ideal. Google says its a little over a 5 hour drive from Lucerne to Nuremberg.

If we depart Switzerland on the day we sail from Nuremberg will that be doable? Or would you advise spending the night prior to we sail in Nuremberg? Thanks!

You should be fine driving to Nuremberg the day the cruise begins. We took the train from Munich to Nuremberg the day our Legendary Danube cruise began, arriving at the boat around 1 pm. 3 pm is the usual official embarkation time, but we were allowed to wait in the lounge until our room was ready. I think the boat left Nuremberg around 5:30. You should check with Avalon to comfirm the estimated time the boat will leave, since our cruise was several years ago and the itinerary may have changed.

We booked our airfare for our September cruise through Avalon and then went to the airlines website and booked our seats. We found our reservation with Air Canada and choose seats. There was a charge to do so but we felt it was worth the cost to sit where we wanted on the long flights.

Dennis

For those of you who have traveled the Danube Dreams Budapest to Prague river cruise; do we get a whole day in Passau? I wanted to book a private tour to one of the concentration camps. Thanks!

For those of you who have traveled the Danube Dreams Budapest to Prague river cruise; do we get a whole day in Passau? I wanted to book a private tour to one of the concentration camps. Thanks!

It really depends on the level of River. Because of low water levels, we didn't get into Passau until noon and left 6:45. I just returned on Monday night. It was a awesome trip, even with the low river levels.

It really depends on the level of River. Because of low water levels, we didn't get into Passau until noon and left 6:45. I just returned on Monday night. It was a awesome trip, even with the low river levels.

Senior lady

We leave on Oct.24th. What was your favorite place? And did you take any optional tours?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Also if we haven’t signed up for the optional excursions before the cruise, can we sign up for them on the boat? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, you can but you run the risk of them being sold out.

We had the pre and post pkg so when in Prague we did the Czech dinner and folklore show.

It was a fun filled evening with good food, lots of beer and wine. Great entertainment, music and dancing.

We all felt it was worth the 56 Euro pp

Could someone tell me where the hair dryer is located in the cabin? We will be on Tranquility II followed by Poetry II starting Aug 11 in Amsterdam.

Thanks.

Either the bathroom or the closet....I can't remember. I do remember that there was definitely one .. just can't remember exactly where it was.

Either the bathroom or the closet....I can't remember. I do remember that there was definitely one .. just can't remember exactly where it was.
I was hoping that I could use it to the vanity table in the cabin while hubby was in the bathroom.

Sent from my WAS-L03T using Tapatalk

The hair dryer was stored in the bathroom on our cruise earlier this month (different Avalon ship), but I think I read that only electric razors can be used in the bathroom, and everything else should be plugged in in the cabin. So, your plan to use the dryer at the vanity is perfect!

I was hoping that I could use it to the vanity table in the cabin while hubby was in the bathroom.

Sent from my WAS-L03T using Tapatalk

Ahhh well you are good there. You can plug it into the regular plug in the vanity.

• 1 month later...

Two questions on Avalon Hanoi to Ho Chi Mihn City and beyond.

1) do I need one passport photograph or two to get a visa when arriving in Siem Reip airport?

2) Avalon says the baggage allowance for these internal flights is 44 lbs. Does anyone have experience of how strictly that is enforced, given that we will be flying from N.America with a 50 lb allowance?

1. Check the web page embassyofcambodiadc.org for options for a getting visa. I got our visas ahead of time by mailing the visa application to the Embassy in DC. It was quick and easy. We sailed from Vietnam to Cambodia so getting a visa at the airport was not an option.

2. Depending on the time of year that you travel, Tonle Sap lake dries up and boats cannot sail between Siem Reap and Phnom Penh. In that case Avalon flies travelers rather than putting people on buses for a 7-8 hour ride. I am assuming the weight limit for luggage is related to the possibility of air travel. We were able to sail on September 21 from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. We saw only one other boat on our sail that day.

• 2 weeks later...
The hair dryer was stored in the bathroom on our cruise earlier this month (different Avalon ship), but I think I read that only electric razors can be used in the bathroom, and everything else should be plugged in in the cabin. So, your plan to use the dryer at the vanity is perfect!
My wife was wondering if the hair dryer has a diffuser.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app