Vaccinations: Hep A and Typhoid for many ports of call

Spinnergal

Hello Cruise Critic Friends:

I got some interesting if not “divisive” responses. Either way, as someone who is new to cruising but not travel, I was interested in opinions from peeps who love cruising and stop at “one location (port)” every day, or every other day, as to what they have and have not done with the vaccinations recommended for that country. Yes, I “generally” listen to my friends opinions, and more importantly, I also “listen” to my doctors reccomendations. That does not mean I act on everything my doctor recommends, “blindly”. That’s just who I am. As mentioned, I have multiple friends, in all age brackets that cruise 10 times a year to many ports in the Carribean, that have not taken any of these immunizations. So, I thought by asking Cruise Critic peeps, I would have a answer that was more unbias. I would bet dollars to donuts allot of peeps that post on these boards don’t get the immunizations because they simply don’t know that the CDC reccomends them for many Carribean Cruises or they don’t go on excursions that they think will expose them. BOTTOM LINE: none of the immunizations are mandatory and some people that cruise apparently do not listen to the CDC reccomendations or even know about them. Seems like it’s an individual choice. I took the HEP A and a TETNUS BOOSTER, (my arm is still killing me in the side that I took the HEP A on, by the way). And of course I will layer on the bug spray with DEET, especially in Mexico. (I will be in Ocean Water, not swimming in rivers, although I will be climbing Dunn River Falls in Jamaica). I decided against Typhoid, for now. After further discussion, my doctor agreed it was not necessary based on what I was doing. Now, If I was camping, staying with friends in a small town overnight, an adventurous eater, caving or exposed to bats or wild animals, I would get the HEP B, Typhoid, and possibly Malaria, which CDC reccomends if you are going to be in one of the situations above. I will get everything needed when I stay in a country for more then one day (yes, I know even in one day you can risk an exposure, but it seems unlikely based on my excursions). Thanks for your opinions, and the interesting banter. Happy Cruising!!!:*:*

Edited by Spinnergal
Added additional information.

We have had them for the Caribbean/South America but they were free for us in the UK anyway.

Even though we are pretty young, we find its best to get this stuff sorted and it becomes one less worry as well as some travel insurance policies become void if you do not have the right vaccines.

We have never gotten a vaccine for a Caribbean cruise. I have hep A and hep B because they are standard recommended vaccines in the US. I’ve done typhoid and malaria on trips when it’s been recommended but never on a cruise. I personally would not be inclined to get typhoid in ur situation since the vaccine doesn’t last very long (2-4 years).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums