My Dilema

champagne123

Ugh...we have 2 MSC cruises booked. The first will be on the Divina in January. I already have the plane tickets and they just changed the time of the flight.

Our return flight was booked for 1:30 out of FLL. They just changed it to 11:00!!!!!

The ship arrives in Miami at 7am. I figure doing the self disembark, we would be off at 8am.

Problems:

I have a scooter (hubby will take the luggage). Is there an elevator for me to disembark?

Is making an 11am trip to Ft. Lauderdale Airport being unrealistic? It is a Sunday, so traffic will not be as bad, correct?

The only other flight is 8:30pm....which I can change to, but really don't want to. First time ever in this situation. Yes, I know many things can go wrong...been cruising for years...but is it doable? :)

I know it's not the answer you're looking for (I wouldn't have a clue about how 'doable' it is) but I'd be leaning towards changing to the later flight time for peace of mind. You could always delay disembarking and enjoy an extra hour onboard at your leisure.

Hi...I too would change the flight until the later time.It's not worth the stress of wondering the whole cruise if it was going to work out. It would only take one small hitch...be it on the ship or on the way to the airport.... to scupper your arrangements.

Are you in the Yacht Club?

We got off Seaside today at 7:00 am. We woke up at 5:30 and were already docked. I know this woh't help you too much for Divina, but perhaps it'll give you an idea.

Are you in the Yacht Club?

We got off Seaside today at 7:00 am. We woke up at 5:30 and were already docked. I know this woh't help you too much for Divina, but perhaps it'll give you an idea.

Unfortunately, no...I needed a H/C cabin and there were none available in the YC. :(

Ugh...we have 2 MSC cruises booked. The first will be on the Divina in January. I already have the plane tickets and they just changed the time of the flight.

Our return flight was booked for 1:30 out of FLL. They just changed it to 11:00!!!!!

The ship arrives in Miami at 7am. I figure doing the self disembark, we would be off at 8am.

Problems:

I have a scooter (hubby will take the luggage). Is there an elevator for me to disembark?

Is making an 11am trip to Ft. Lauderdale Airport being unrealistic? It is a Sunday, so traffic will not be as bad, correct?

The only other flight is 8:30pm....which I can change to, but really don't want to. First time ever in this situation. Yes, I know many things can go wrong...been cruising for years...but is it doable? :)

The ship arrives way before that, we have been in the street at 7 am and yes there is an elevator, you should be ok if there are no delays.

When the ship gets there does not equate when when you get off though. It really depends on customs. In my opinion 11 would be pushing it. I am surprised there are no flights before 8:30 though. Have you checked flights out of Miami as an alternative?

This is a tough call because FLL is so picky about check in. I've had the 8 p.m. flight out of FLL after coming off the Divina. At the airport, they will not let you check bags (or bodies) until 2 hours before your flight and there isn't anywhere to speak of to wait inside the terminal before check in.

If you are the last ones off the ship you will still get to FLL by 11-11:30 which gives you about 6-7 hours before they will let you check in. You can pay to have your luggage held and take the free trolley from FLL to riverwalk. We did this and it turned into a great day, but i'm not sure about doing this with a scooter. Even then we were stalling at the airport (and sitting on the floor) because the luggage holding place closes 4 or 5 (can't remember exactly) and we couldn't check in until 6.

I have had many flights out of FLL around 11 coming off a ship in Miami and have made them all, however this doesn't leave wiggle room for issues. Ironically, one one one of my Divina trips, she didn't even dock in Miami until after 10 due to a medial issue (we were flying out at 8:30 that day, so we were lucky). We were in YC, and were able to get off the ship by 11, but lots of people missed flights that day. This is rare though.

If I were you I'd want more information about my options.

-How often does that 8:30 flight sell out if you don't make the 11?

-How much would it cost to change flights in the event you did miss the 11?

-Given the restrictions at FLL. what will you do with an entire day? Excursions? Rent a hotel for the day?

Finally, is staying overnight in FLL an option? I've done this my last three trips because you can save significantly flying out on a Monday or Tuesday (vs. Sat or Sunday). Sometimes the savings to stay and extra night or two covers the cost of the hotel and that takes ALL stress off the table. This would be my recommendation if it's a possibility.

Best of luck to you in your decision, you should enjoy your time on Divina, she is a beautiful ship.

I did easy walk off where we carried our own luggage (on NCL out of Miami) and was at FLL airport by 8:30 am. I am not sure how it compares to MSC, but it is definitely doable. Of course, there is risk and any little snafu can screw up the plan. Good luck!

Is it possible to see if they can switch you to a flight out of Miami instead? Since they changed the flight there usually is wiggle room for switching airports. Since Miami is do much closer, it might be an easier flight to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With your scooter, you'll have to take the elevator on the ship, which everyone else will be using too, so that could take awhile. Then going through customs, you have to go down escalators, so you'd have to use the 1 elevator that they have, as does everyone with a stroller. We used the elevator and the line was awful. Be prepared!

Thank you again for the wonderful advice everyone. Unfortunately, I have non-refundable tickets on the airline and they do not fly out of Miami....and unfortunately, they only have 3 flights that day coming back to NJ. 6:30am, 11:00am and 8:30pm. Thought I was safe with the 1:30 until they changed it on me. I don't think I am going to chance it. Having the scooter (which is necessary) slows everything down and makes it more difficult.

Looking into staying overnight in FL or just finding something to do for a few hours and take the 8:30pm flight. Again....thank you all soooo very much.

We are so excited to try MSC finally. Divina in January and the Mervaglia's repositioning cruise from NY to Miami. YAY!!!!