iron

jonorma

No, they don't allow travel irons. Very hot topic on this board! Yes, I have packed them numerous times. Last time was on NCL in 2008. I now choose to press my clothes beforehand and bundle pack. This works very well. I don't care for the wrinkle release as it just seems like scented water to me. Hanging clothes in the bathroom while taking a shower works really well also. :)

who wants to do laundry while cruising on a ship anyway.........

Can pack less clothes and some people go for more than a week (including pre and post cruise stays). We have a member of our family who's allergic to many detergents (I use an allergen free detergent at home and pack some with us) so sending the clothing to the ship's laundry isn't an option.

No, they don't allow travel irons. Very hot topic on this board! Yes, I have packed them numerous times. Last time was on NCL in 2008. I now choose to press my clothes beforehand and bundle pack. This works very well. I don't care for the wrinkle release as it just seems like scented water to me. Hanging clothes in the bathroom while taking a shower works really well also. :)

Ha! I'm taking the fifth on this one! Mums the word right?! LOL

who wants to do laundry while cruising on a ship anyway.........

Exactly the same as Cruisin' Chick...allergies plus we will be away for 23 days.

I was rather surprised that there isn't a public laundry on a cruise lasting so long. Even without allergies the cost of the ship's staff doing it is way too much :(

Can pack less clothes and some people go for more than a week (including pre and post cruise stays). We have a member of our family who's allergic to many detergents (I use an allergen free detergent at home and pack some with us) so sending the clothing to the ship's laundry isn't an option.

Same here. One of the many reasons we love Princess is the laundry rooms. I can wash clothes while I'm reading on the balcony, and it's fairly effortless. I can't take a chance on having the laundry done on the ship and fighting an itchy rash for the rest of my trip.

So they all xray the bags, open them up and take them out without asking?

No, they're not allowed to open your bags and touch any of your belongings. If a large bag goes through X-ray and they suspect you have something in there, eventually you will be notified to come down to the security area (usually Deck 1) and they will ask you to open up your bag. They will point out a location of where they think the item is. If you do have an iron, they can take it from you, give you a receipt and then return it to you by the end of the cruise but as others have mentioned, steamers are allowed. RCI so far (with what I have witnessed) is the only cruise line that has been strict about this. Any other cruise line it seems less strict - not allowable but less strict meaning I don't think they would X-ray the bag. (I speak from experience)! That's another reason I like Princess as well - they have self-service laundry rooms with ironing boards. It's funny how that one little item can persuade me NOT to go on RCI! Yep, true - and my DH totally agrees with me! He likes a little more flexibility. Oh and by the way, don't expect their security to call you as soon as they have the bag! I was going crazy searching for my bag for over 2 hours before a cabin steward finally told me where I needed to go and forget the Purser's Office as well - a bit useless in my opinion. They ended up calling me to get the bag about 3 hours later! I told them what they needed to improve upon! The girl technically "didn't get it!" Par for the course!

We brought our small traveler's iron on Royal Caribbean. The one made by Samsonite - very small, not really efficient for ironing but good enough for travel purposes; plus, it's dual voltage. You also have to assemble the handle so at first glance, it does not look like an iron at all. Maybe, that is why the security did not notice it.

I see that some of the cruise lines do not allow steamers either. Hang your clothes in the bathroom while taking a shower - that works almost as well as the steamer.

I roll my clothes - takes up less room and creates fewer wrinkles.

We find that a quick spray from a small bottle of tap water and a sharp snap will take out most wrinkles. Even if you put the item on slightly damp, your body heat will dry it in minutes. You're on vacation...why iron?

On the FOS in Sep, our neighbors did not have their luggage delivered and were looking all over the ship for it. They were upgraded and thought the luggage was delivered to their origional room. Nope, they had an iron and they had to go the bottom deck and have their luggage searched and the iron was removed and given back at the end of the cruise. :(

Archived