Harvest Caye - "new" excursion for "Barrier Reef Snorkel"

krazykohns

Hi there - has anyone been on this excursion? I attempted to google some info on it (where the snorkel spots are, reviews, etc.) but only found old excursions from when the ship went to Belize City.

I would love to hear if anyone has been on it or has found additional info. TYIA!!!

The excursion is pretty new. It was not available when I was there the first week of March. My guess is that it is a boat trip out to the reef. It might be a good excursion, but I have done some snorkeling trips out to the reef and it is often rough and the water can be cloudy, depending on the weather.

The excursion is pretty new. It was not available when I was there the first week of March. My guess is that it is a boat trip out to the reef. It might be a good excursion, but I have done some snorkeling trips out to the reef and it is often rough and the water can be cloudy, depending on the weather.

Yeah, there is certainly nothing worth the effort off the beach at HC (no surprise), so a boat out is by far the better option and is likely to yield something worthwhile in this area of the world. That said, snorkeling in open water is not a trivial undertaking and one should be reasonably confident and have some experience before assuming it's easy. They typically have to provide a buoyancy aid which will avert a disaster but it can still be quite challenging if you're not used to open water, clearing and relaxing.

I say this because I've seen some folks jump off a boat into open water on their first snorkel and basically panic... because it's a quite different prospect to paddling off a sandy beach. It normally pays off in terms of quality however; which is I am sure why they have added this most likely excellent excursion.

Yeah, there is certainly nothing worth the effort off the beach at HC (no surprise), so a boat out is by far the better option and is likely to yield something worthwhile in this area of the world. That said, snorkeling in open water is not a trivial undertaking and one should be reasonably confident and have some experience before assuming it's easy. They typically have to provide a buoyancy aid which will avert a disaster but it can still be quite challenging if you're not used to open water, clearing and relaxing.

I say this because I've seen some folks jump off a boat into open water on their first snorkel and basically panic... because it's a quite different prospect to paddling off a sandy beach. It normally pays off in terms of quality however; which is I am sure why they have added this most likely excellent excursion.

Thanks all for the replies!! I am a former scuba diver so quite aware with the dramatics with buoyancy and currents, as well as equipment.

I had seen several posts regarding water visibility is cloudy not far from Harvest Caye and Placencia (town just north of HC).. so I was hoping to find out what caye or atoll they may be heading to on the reef. Guess I will wait a few weeks to see if anyone takes the excursion. Ty!!

Thanks all for the replies!! I am a former scuba diver so quite aware with the dramatics with buoyancy and currents, as well as equipment.

I had seen several posts regarding water visibility is cloudy not far from Harvest Caye and Placencia (town just north of HC).. so I was hoping to find out what caye or atoll they may be heading to on the reef. Guess I will wait a few weeks to see if anyone takes the excursion. Ty!!

You'll be fine then... and it's really a must for you... because being a diver anything less will surely disappoint!!! Are you actually going to Belize City or Roatan? I only ask because Roatan has some truly good diving/snorkeling.

You'll be fine then... and it's really a must for you... because being a diver anything less will surely disappoint!!! Are you actually going to Belize City or Roatan? I only ask because Roatan has some truly good diving/snorkeling.

We are doing Roatan as well- arranged already with a resort and dive shop in West End. Didn’t want to miss out on snorkeling on these two spots.

I am trying to figure out how to snorkel and relax in Harvest Caye both... I may just have to pick one over the other- but if the offered excursion, if decent, could be a good compromise.

We are doing Roatan as well- arranged already with a resort and dive shop in West End. Didn’t want to miss out on snorkeling on these two spots.

I am trying to figure out how to snorkel and relax in Harvest Caye both... I may just have to pick one over the other- but if the offered excursion, if decent, could be a good compromise.

Most excellent!

FWIW, if you can $tretch to it, the Beach Villas on HC are THE way to relax! :cool:

• 2 months later...
Would love to hear if someone tries out this excursion! Going to be there in about 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, did you end up doing the NCL snorkeling excursion? We are going in November and trying to plan our excursions. Thanks, hope you had a great cruise! I am also looking for snorkeling advice for Costa Maya.

Hi, did you end up doing the NCL snorkeling excursion? We are going in November and trying to plan our excursions. Thanks, hope you had a great cruise! I am also looking for snorkeling advice for Costa Maya.

I believe that one person on CC has done this already, and we are going to do it in July. Apparently, it leaves right from Harvest Caye (as opposed to having to take a ferry over to Placencia), and they go out about 45 minutes to an area where you snorkel for approximately 60-90 minutes. The review I read said that the boat ride was a little rough, but that the snorkeling is amazing. We've got snorkel excursions lined up for Roatan and Harvest Caye, and a scuba trip in Cozumel.

I recently was quite surprised at how good, snorkeling was at Costa Maya, I went with Dr. Dive. simply just taking the cheap independent transfers/cab.

For Roatan, I always head out to West Bay, Tabyanna. Use a cheap transfer through a lodge, and spend my time, in that wonderful snorkeling water. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are booked for this excursion next week. Dumb question, but I've read answers both ways but none were specifically THIS excursion. Do you keep your snorkel or are you using a used one? I'm debating bringing our own along but would rather not if we aren't using used ones. Thanks

We are booked for this excursion next week. Dumb question, but I've read answers both ways but none were specifically THIS excursion. Do you keep your snorkel or are you using a used one? I'm debating bringing our own along but would rather not if we aren't using used ones. Thanks

Errr, bottom line... if it's not yours... it's previously used.

Thanks! I've read both--you return them when you are done AND others say you get a new one and keep it when you are done. Just return the goggles and flippers. I guess I'll buy them because the though of using a used one...well....no thanks! lol

Thanks! I've read both--you return them when you are done AND others say you get a new one and keep it when you are done. Just return the goggles and flippers. I guess I'll buy them because the though of using a used one...well....no thanks! lol

Yeah, we take our own mask/snorkel and use the supplied fins...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

So any new info on how to get out to the better snorkel spots without paying for full excursion? Can we just grab a ride? We have all our own gear including PFD's I figure if they are private we can wheel and deal and customize for our needs. Anyone?? We've been there before as one of the very first ships in and obviously the water was horrible. Not sure if its better now....

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

So any new info on how to get out to the better snorkel spots without paying for full excursion? Can we just grab a ride? We have all our own gear including PFD's I figure if they are private we can wheel and deal and customize for our needs. Anyone?? We've been there before as one of the very first ships in and obviously the water was horrible. Not sure if its better now....

Thanks in advance!

Wheeling and dealing is not going to happen. It is a very structured trip that takes 48 people out, complete with multiple guides and a medic. We had our own gear and had to follow our guide throughout the trip. I think this would be a great trip for novice snorkelers, but if you want to get something more personalized, you will have to take the ferry to Placencia and then go from there. From experience, most companies and guides don’t really care if you have your own gear, and do not appear to be willing to cut a deal based on that.

I’m glad this has flourished with info- heard from CC and other boards it’s a decent trip if you’re not willing to go to Plancencia to sort your own. Having a hard time justifying $100 a person via NCL...

I’m glad this has flourished with info- heard from CC and other boards it’s a decent trip if you’re not willing to go to Plancencia to sort your own. Having a hard time justifying $100 a person via NCL...

:)DITTO FOR US. NCL SUN> OCT 30. May take the ferry to placencia and see what goes on.

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed with RCCL last April 2018 with one stop in Belize City. It was a tender port, but since I took "Barrier Reef Snorkel" excursion (purchased from the cruise line), there was a dedicated boat traveling from the cruise ship to the private island where the snorkel started.

Barrier reef was super. We were lucky with excellent weather, no current and warm water.

Some photos below.

y4mlvSw1JW5Kd5gftATq3eLBc7MpIUD1odFyDwaMnB_lgHczzyQ0SHzKhM0Azy_7opViOyBbfA3fi7FKkrxxw0fkIr_nk76HCNmYj18l0E5uuiTgfsxMl15i_T310muT0fHLFFpCYUmjjPhedKyQ-rCNQep4EFQz0aBjfQXllKHkepBlAmkd4U3o72L_yDf4ZSW5BJ_tCcl_W4VCC0_MW8r-A?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none

y4mhfGs_rbKxL4c3bg-rG4BUcKwT_rCP7dKGMVQA0304Nh-Mziq9VJJHGwoEWZFTt7mFYzfzfGJZ70t9KvmzD7VKg2Zpp7uu0edxYamRssTluYle3sBHk2U06GoXp0H3XWF4tIH5m6QpxjYpzfe2E0C8QOhYO9xo9lnESlhVsd9owpTb0alV96sFoQ3GEhrShZBe0VjD9XQbUe0rGIM9kPing?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none

y4mmLQmCE11WOFMyuGZnoP7wBgdts2UpRp9Ewg0l9hwwTt2hRrB_gR8pQChLvC2NdaxLCgpfi7xCMfMVx1jAYG4OXvub6n75JSv2eFBeyjlfpc_lzcpYv_rFsm5rApttkf-x31nKekrXCdgGWm5vlVybzcUmjQyeAMstKs99qetOQoyvuUXhKOTHK3ri0erdRpnVeSxgWn7M23UY4cA-8eIog?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none

Here are two nudibranch, natural predator, devouring a sea fan.

y4mzykrsDuc21gMnb8HRwS4ozzh4FusjYCN-cAYbsrQPucLP1f_AlCOCYzaTCgJYeubyxBOrWAvNWx3lRQfTruzVFSkJunmY9-IJyJvuDeWu6BCZyd-QNumU6QbPMrPr4N_BplpSyEF53otB-fXZCTwltgyVNNIOCl4tmn85dahxkjxswEhEjLZiNEenzOoz5nPmmTIDOGqY7camynuY-xSzQ?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none

y4mCQk1zuBDIDaXCNGgnQAuVILsQpp5Vi2uNdwwtqiXCQXZIj9kgfQH8w8r8-h576_1pF9kyzMfNSSoM1aX7qkBX8c2MTfJ1h0sqRSLqO_yqIwvmYcAh8lNu76K2UG_h5fYSc5gJvcgRvGjmovWiRvuOudy3mC1lZBL17-bFdZw0Eyp-eVYABmK40bNnHhf2qdb257KDol0pMJL8grSoAOq8Q?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none

y4ma7TYVgEejI3L2bGOWMPfhs0kZzDViXHLDCY_qf5suJKesB9FA9nidUdF6YFwjS8KnbT6BaaA2v4WpK9LzJ20sN0qcK3byI943Uuu_Xs3ihxNwpK24igjtW-Ps0xqqlG3adnmiIItY-vWq0TnqhrQL2tvcYKI8cPuI60sLMNiWk-3Mcd6wNiYG83xTO2pVMqHcnxvFSBMn8GIgADaqOZb1w?width=660&height=371&cropmode=none

Would love to hear any recent experiences with this - really on the fence!

We did it a couple of weeks ago. It’s a group of 48 people going out, with 7 guides and a medic on board the boat. Very organized. As far as the snorkeling is concerned, if you are a beginner, this would be a fantastic trip, but if you done any snorkeling in the past, it was just average. The cost was high for what it was, and I don’t think I would do it again. You would be much better served by snorkeling in Roatan—absolutely amazing coral and fish, and less expensive as well.