EXEC Tours

propwash

How accurate are the descriptions for activities that are listed in the EXEC tour brochure? In other words, if it shows a 2 people activity (moderate), how strenuous is it? I know everybody got a different opinion on difficulties, but I would like some idea.

THANKS

Danny

How accurate are the descriptions for activities that are listed in the EXEC tour brochure? In other words, if it shows a 2 people activity (moderate), how strenuous is it? I know everybody got a different opinion on difficulties, but I would like some idea.

THANKS

Danny

We have found the descriptions to be pretty accurate. They do not want people who have mobility problems signing up for an activity that requires lots of walking and standing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

THANKS

Danny

Our experience with the ratings on EXC tours has been that HAL is very conservative. Moderate usually means more walking and some stairs, but it’s really not too strenuous and the guides walk slowly. We’ve done some tours rated as strenuous, but those are usually due to climbing in and out of small planes. At least the ones we’ve done.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also find the ratings fairly conservative - only one was prohibitively strenuous (Pulpit Rock hike in Norway), the rest are more a matter of extended stamina than actual physical exertion. We like the active tours so we sign up for a lot of them. We are mid to late 70's.

And even Pulpit Rock in Norway, which was a known killer, was still thrilling even for those of us who could not make it to the top which was also a factor in my case of improper hiking boots. And on that day we did that hike, even those who did make it to the top only saw total fog and no sweeping vistas. But what a gorgeous adventure anyway.

Our experience with the ratings on EXC tours has been that HAL is very conservative. Moderate usually means more walking and some stairs, but it’s really not too strenuous and the guides walk slowly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree that their activity level assessments are on the conservative side. They don't want someone with serious mobility challenges to bite off more than they can chew, to the detriment of themselves and everyone else on the tour. The tour descriptions I think do a pretty good job describing the issues that might be problematic for people. Also if you have any lingering doubts, the folks at the excursions desk may have more information or insight to help you decide (if of course you can wait until you're on the ship).

I would say in most cases they are overly cautious with the tour's strenuous ratings. I find that some tours, even with 3 people are less strenuous than the rating would make you think. But I also find it depends on your tour guide. I took a nature walk tour that was rated 2 people but it was led by a competitive walker who thought everyone on the tour was a competitive walker as well. She was so much faster than most of the group that she had no idea when one of the group members fell over a root. And when the faster people in the group finally caught up with her, she was unconcerned that the gentleman had fallen and was bleeding. While several group members took the injured man back to the tour bus, she kept on with the tour at a breakneck pace over uneven ground through a sun-dappled forest. The only nature I saw on that tour was the leaf litter on the ground as I was trying not to trip!

But really, that was the worst experience I have had with a HAL tour and the only one that did not match the rating.

In sum, yes the ratings are accurate, with the caveat that tour guides differ.

We also find the ratings fairly conservative - only one was prohibitively strenuous (Pulpit Rock hike in Norway), the rest are more a matter of extended stamina than actual physical exertion. We like the active tours so we sign up for a lot of them. We are mid to late 70's.

And even Pulpit Rock in Norway, which was a known killer, was still thrilling even for those of us who could not make it to the top which was also a factor in my case of improper hiking boots. And on that day we did that hike, even those who did make it to the top only saw total fog and no sweeping vistas. But what a gorgeous adventure anyway.

I am going to Stavenger next week, and I am debating whether to do this hike or not. I like to hike but I have read that you do not get much time at the top and that the trail can be crowded. Did other people who made it to the top enjoy it?

I am going to Stavenger next week, and I am debating whether to do this hike or not. I like to hike but I have read that you do not get much time at the top and that the trail can be crowded. Did other people who made it to the top enjoy it?

It is a total toss of the coin whether you will have clear weather at the top or not. We had alternating rain and sun and fog throughout the entire trip. So if just getting there is enjoyable, then it will be a great hike and don't stake too much about "enjoying" the top.

I did not find it crowded but we may have been early in the season and a poor weather day. So there is the problem, when the weather is great for great views, there will also lots of locals who will want to go there too. The top rock deck is somewhat small from all reports, but time will be limited and depending on your own hiking speed there is no way to tell how much time you will have to enjoy it or not under any circumstances.

We took an extended rest period half way up at a view point while we debated turning around. Decided to keep going forward and had we not taken that rest time we probably would have had time to make it all the way. As I mentioned my huge failing was not having good, secure hiking boots so I had to be very careful about each step. I also used one hiking stick which to me was critical - two sticks could be a logistic problem but for sure one stick is a very good idea.

It is very insecure footing - loose rock, slippery surfaces etc. This is a trail but in no way is it a groomed trail unless you call blasting out rock terraces you need to scramble over grooming. How on earth did they do this - apparently they hired sherpas to get some of this rock blasting work done.

There are very steep rock climbs and there is no rhythm that you can get into when climbing the steep part - you are having to boost yourself up large rock "steps" - about 2-3 feet high for some major sections. There are some relatively level sections and a lot of bare rock where you have to slide around on your tail end to get past them.

(I did not mention I could not walk for several days afterwards - but I was terribly out of shape to have taken this type of hike. In retrospect I wish I had gone up and down all the deck stairs on the ship every day ahead of this hike - multiple times. In reality, that is such a dreadful prospect - I hate stairs - that I doubt I would have taken my own advice anyway. But maybe the treadmill and the stair climbers in the gym just to get a little limbered up.)

So it became one foot in front of the other for me -slow and steady until I reached the turn-around point where the guide told us we had to start heading back. It is a very exquistely timed tour because there are ferry and bus connections to make to get back to the ship on time.

When we got back to the trail head it appeared some in our original group gave up early and spent the day back at the lodge where the bus was parked. There is very pretty forest land to hike in without going all the way. The very first very steep road up to the upper trail head will weed out those who decide they really do not want to go any further.

Hiking tip: do not believe those young people coming down the trail, skipping over the rocks in their sandals, that the top is "just around the corner". It is not. Or else Einstein was right about his theory of relativity. Just around the corner for them, but more forced march for those of us a little longer of tooth.

But as Nike says, just do it. It is one of Norway's most photographed scenic spots always in the sun with happy pick-nickers - but if you google research for this hike you will see it more realistically. And people even go up there in the winter with snow and ice. Amazing.

Go on You Tube. There are some great videos as folks are on the trail.

These bring back wonderful memories with the caution, they are still two dimensional and things appear flatter than real life three dimensional - or four dimensional, since part of this climb was a real mind tripper.

THANKS

Danny

It depends, the Komodo island walk is called 'strenuous', but it's normally an easy, hot, walk in a big circle, but if you're being chased by a male Komodo Dragon, you'll have to run for your life....

It depends, the Komodo island walk is called 'strenuous', but it's normally an easy, hot, walk in a big circle, but if you're being chased by a male Komodo Dragon, you'll have to run for your life....

How true!.

• 2 months later...
I would say in most cases they are overly cautious with the tour's strenuous ratings.

In sum, yes the ratings are accurate, with the caveat that tour guides differ.

I too agree the ratings are conservative but so much depends upon an individual guide's interpretation of HAL's rating. And different groups on the same excursion can have different experiences. In the tropics some guides thoughtfully do their explanations of a site in the shade or near places to sit and some suggest where you can await the group while the majority adventures on to the one portion worthy of two+ or even a 3 designation.

As my mobility has declined I feel I'm well served by the ratings. The proportion of bus/boat time to actual walking time helps too with choice as length of a bus ride to get to the site is usually given.

Ruth

I am in the point of my life that if I have questions about how difficult an excursion may be, I won't book it until I am on the ship and can directly speak with the EXC staff.

And I've learned that some are more knowledgeable than others, depending in measure upon whether or not they've been the HAL rep on a tour.

Ruth

And I've learned that some are more knowledgeable than others, depending in measure upon whether or not they've been the HAL rep on a tour.

Ruth

So very true! One still have to make a decision as to "should I or should I not" book a tour even with the staffs' information.

Are the Exec tour prices guaranteed? When we received our "personal" copy of our itinerary one of the tours we were interested in was showing $79.95, today, when I went to book it now, shows $94,95. Is this normal?

Thanks

Danny

I am wondering the same thing. Do Exec Tours ever go on sale?

Are the Exec tour prices guaranteed? When we received our "personal" copy of our itinerary one of the tours we were interested in was showing $79.95, today, when I went to book it now, shows $94,95. Is this normal?

Thanks

Danny

I don't think so. I had the same thing happen for the cruise I just disembarked this morning. I paid the higher price.

And the only time I've seen a promotion on shorex, it was part of a larger promotion (View & Verandah sale) and the discounts were minimal, at best, on the least popular excursions.

Ruth

Some tour reps on board are not too reliable. I questioned a tour in Hawaii and the rep showed me a picture taken on the tour showing 6 steps. In reality a co passenger counted more than 100 steps to reach the intended view followed by same to return to the bus.

. . . She was so much faster than most of the group that she had no idea when one of the group members fell over a root. . .
We had something similar happen in Tikal. DH hurried to keep up, and fell down. Fortunately, they had two guides and one stayed back with us. Back in my visiting National Park days, we were told to go the speed of the slowest member in the group.

HAL has gotten more stringent in the last year or two, because people would book something too strenuous for them, and complain later.

Shore Excursions told me a few years ago, that on the longer tours, they're more tiring, and they'll bump the activity up to the next level. That's what they did w/ our eight-hour tour in Norway.

They actually discouraged me from booking Moderate activity tours before my hip replacement because I carried a cane.