Best afternoon teas in London

Lawhouse

No mention of the Ritz, in Piccadilly, which is surely the (over-priced) benchmark at something over £50 pp

Nor of the cab-drivers' green huts dotted around central London, where a big mug of char and a sticky bun will cost less than £2. :)

https://www.timeout.com/london/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-cabmens-shelters-070516

Takeaway service for anyone, though only cabbies are allowed to sit inside.

And no dress code. ;)

JB :)

No mention of the Ritz, in Piccadilly, which is surely the (over-priced) benchmark at something over £50 pp

And no dress code. ;)

JB :)

We had afternoon tea at the Ritz a few years ago and we were very disappointed. Too many tourists so it had lost the ambiance we expected

• 1 month later...

Lots of upmarket coffee shops in the West End and Knightsbridge do afternoon teas. Also many Museum coffee shops/ restaurants do it too. All a lot cheaper than the Ritz. I read recently that Fortnum and Mason had either stopped theirs or it is very poor. Sorry, can't remember which.

I was recently in the coffee shop at the lovely Kenwood House and people on the next table were having afternoon tea and it looked good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wish I had this last a month ago. We went to a French restaurant across from the Ritz, can't remember the name but it was good. In 2013 we went to the Georgian restaurant at Harrods, it was amazing.

Wish I had this last a month ago. We went to a French restaurant across from the Ritz, can't remember the name but it was good.

Caffe Concerto, I suspect. A small chain, with several in the West End. They look very elegant and the food's OK, but I have never found particularly good service the few times I have used one.

Caffe Concerto, I suspect. A small chain, with several in the West End. They look very elegant and the food's OK, but I have never found particularly good service the few times I have used one.

Actually it was Cafe de Pierre, just down the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I guess that Fortnum & Mason isn't quirky enough to make the list either. Oh well, I have good memories of a tea there and of the one at the Ritz, spent with cousins who are no longer earthbound.
It's a list of just hotels that hold teas. But I was disappointed with F&M last month before our cruise. Back when I lived in London (1984-85), I went there frequently after getting off work at 4. Back then having a scone and a pot of tea was reasonably priced. Now tea and a scone apiece for the two of us was 20 pounds. Service also wasn't that great.

Ah, OK. But, as it happens, Cafe de Pierre is part of the Caffe Concerto chain :)

Oh, there you go then! I should really just have a cream tea, I’m only there for the scones and cream!

This and cricket are Britain's finest civilising contributions to the world [emoji3]

I fully agree. What could be more civilised than a sport that takes a break so that you can take tea then resume the match.

Selswick.