Home Lines employees/memories?

Wow, I haven't been on this site in a very long time....Hi Nonnie and Marge!!

Hope all is well!!

Was on Celebrity Reflection last year and while it was very nice, NOTHING, compared to a Home Lines Cruise....

• 1 month later...

I think ANYONE who ever sailed on the "Oceanic" remembers Everett E. Everett. And if you asked him what his middle name was, it was "Everett". He kind of looked liked the guy who played the wizard in "the Wizard of Oz". He was MC, entertainer, comedian, and host. To me, more memorable then he, was the hostess (I think her name was Luciana) She remembered you by name after your first sailing and she didn't walk across the room, she flowed! Back then, staff made working on a ship a career.

• 3 months later...

Hi did any of SS Oceanic staff and crew have time to walk around Manhattan for a bit including Everett E Everett? let me know if anyone recalls if they had time to walk around New York City at all when SS Oceanic was there thanks.

Also EEE granddaughter when did your grandpa Everett E Everett pass on? RIP to a once great man. I can be sure that he was lucky to have you as a special granddaughter did he have any other grandchildren or just you? I did search Facebook for SS Oceanic Home Lines fun looking all the old photos and few with your grandpa celebrating birthday on the cruise.

Edited by Cruise Guy 17

Hi did any of SS Oceanic staff and crew have time to walk around Manhattan for a bit including Everett E Everett? let me know if anyone recalls if they had time to walk around New York City at all when SS Oceanic was there thanks.

Also EEE granddaughter when did your grandpa Everett E Everett pass on? RIP to a once great man. I can be sure that he was lucky to have you as a special granddaughter did he have any other grandchildren or just you? I did search Facebook for SS Oceanic Home Lines fun looking all the old photos and few with your grandpa celebrating birthday on the cruise.

marco:

Have you ever sailed on a cruise on SS Oceanic Home Lines or did you just attend the Bon Voyage events on sailaway day in Manhattan? Thsi was way before my time by time I was born in 1980s all that fun stuff was sadly coming to an end due to all the security and the way all is these days.

I look in Facebook posts SS Oceanic Home Lines good photos had fun looking them. Take care.

• 5 weeks later...

I sailed on the "Oceanic" 8 times. Twice, the 7-dayer to Nassau in the summer and 6 times, the "linger longer" winter cruises. I probably went to 2 or 3 times as many "bon voyage" parties aboard. Also sailed several times on the other Home Lines ships. The only 2 Home Lines ships I never sailed on were the "Italia" and the "Doric". And if there were Home Lines ships before the "Italia", those too. The "linger Longer" winter cruises started with the Christmas cruise and continued until April-ish. No two were the same in # of days or the itinerary. I think the shortest was 11 or 12 days and the longest around 18 days. We always did one of the 11/12/14 day cruises.

• 5 weeks later...
Dan, there is really no comparison from the Home Lines' ships and those floating amusement park resorts that are out today. Home Lines Oceanic was glorious. I met people who had sailed on her over 30 times. I was lucky to sail 3X.

Many of the complaints you read on cc today were not even thought of. We used to "rent" a deck chair for the week, drinks were $1, dining room experience was classy and delicious (not to mention the gorgeous waiters).

I just wish there was a ship like that out there now (that I could afford). There is nothing as memorable about my other more recent cruises.

I remember that! We had our own deck chairs AND our own deck attendant for the week. Cruising was so classy then ... doesn't even compare to today.

• 2 months later...

Hello to all...was checking some cruise sights and came upon your posts regarding the Home Lines..reading your experiences brought back some great memories for me...my stepfather was a port engineer for home lines...he worked on the development of the magnadome..I think that's what they called it..he also was a frequent customer at Divino's in NYC...after all they were former employees of home lines..I'm sorry this is long winded but I have so many stories..anyway...I went on the Oceanic for my honeymoon back in 1979...my wife and I had a table for two..arranged by my stepdad...we had two..yes two waiters and an assistant waiter..in fact my stepdad was on board too and sat at the captains table which was only one table away from us...one evening, the captain came over to our table and introduced himself to us. As a young couple we were in our glory..the table in between us and the captains table kept wondering who we were!!! It was great..I remember the huge silver trays they served dinner from...the baked Alaska the midnite buffet....I was bitten by the cruise bug ever since ...sadly my stepdad passed last year but the memories of the 2 cruises we took will never fade away

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

In 1965 my parents sailed aboard the Homeric from New York to Barbados. While on board my mother had her portrait done by the "artist in residence" - Christos Simatos - a well known artist in Europe and Asia during the 20's - 50's. Does anyone else have a portrait created by this artist? Please contact me at mnreit@rcn.com. Thanks. Mark

I'm sure most of the crew got to spend some time in NY, as "back then" when the ship did the longer winter cruises, the ship would be in NY overnight. In the summer, when it did the 7-dayers, it would dock in the AM and sail at 5PM and just a limited # of crew on a rotating basis could spend a few hrs in the city. I recall some of the staff saying they got off to do a little bit of shopping.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They used to have a Home Lines staff/passenger reunion dinner once a yr at a restaurant in NYC. I called once and asked when the next dinner would be, on one every called me and it has since closed. Does anyone know they still do meet and if so, where? I'd call them as ask them to keep me posted.

• 2 years later...
23 hours ago, 7csdancing said:

Is anyone out there who still remembers the Home Line?

I cruised with them from 1971 to 1986

My sole Home Lines cruise was a 7 day cruise to Nassau on the S. S. Oceanic during June, 1973.

I was a sailing day visitor to the Homeric when that cruise ended with a galley fire that caused her to abort her cruise and return to New York.

• 1 year later...

I was just digging through some old cruise line memorabilia and came across a Home Lines Bar guide.from the Oceanic.  I think it's from the early/mid 70's.  Most cocktails IE: Bloddy Mary, Screwdriver, Sidecar,etc  were 70 cents, as was a Martini, extra dry.  If it was not extra dry, it was 60 cents, as was a Manhattan.  Assorted frozen daiquris were and OUTRAGEOUS 85 cents.  Scotch was 50 cents for 1 and 1/2 oz shot, but if you wanted soda with it, it was an extra 10 cents.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2022 at 8:35 AM, marco said:

I was just digging through some old cruise line memorabilia and came across a Home Lines Bar guide.from the Oceanic.  I think it's from the early/mid 70's.  Most cocktails IE: Bloddy Mary, Screwdriver, Sidecar,etc  were 70 cents, as was a Martini, extra dry.  If it was not extra dry, it was 60 cents, as was a Manhattan.  Assorted frozen daiquris were and OUTRAGEOUS 85 cents.  Scotch was 50 cents for 1 and 1/2 oz shot, but if you wanted soda with it, it was an extra 10 cents.

Yes…nd I think draft beer was 25 cents!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I sailed in OCEANIC (& Homeric) back in the late 1970's & early 1980's...OCEANIC  == at that time was one of the largest ships sailing.... it was built as an oceanliner & fitted for cruising(hence the MAGRODOME)

Her interiors were beautiful. the food & service the best.....

One of her features  was the main dining room which at the time was the largest rooms built on a ship that did not have supporting columns throughout the room...so it was one large room with unobstructed views...fore to aft & starboard to port...

One of my favorite rooms was the Italian Hall - dancing til the wee hours of the morning.....

I do recall Everett E Everett....he was well known throughout the cruise industry & I also remember going to an Italian restaurant in Manhattan on west 43rd street between 5th & 6th avenues (I believe) and all the waiters & staff came from both HOME LINES & the ITALIAN LINE....fantastic & lots & lots of fun...

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

One of my favorite rooms was the Italian Hall - dancing til the wee hours of the morning.....

Yes!  It was a delightful lounge with excellent music by Italian musicians.  On my cruise, the group was Romy Formica and the Favolosi.  I enjoyed them so much that I would a record that was for sale and still play it from time to time.