Carnival Assigned Dining/ Solo Travelers

WorldsMine

Hey everyone,

I have my second solo cruise next month on Carnival; my first was on NCL Sky. I am trying to decide whether I should do Anytime Dining, or assigned, and if assigned should I choose Early or Late.

Solo Travelers, in your experience on Carnival (I will be on the Breeze), do they seat you with other solo travelers? And if so, which time would put me in a better place to meet other solo travelers, early dining or late dining?

Thanks in advance!

***I have looked at the roll call for my trip, but it seems filled with couples and I am interested in meeting other solos.

I traveled solo on Carnival and had late seating. I was at a table with other solos and a few of us hung out at night after dinner and then in the afternoons when we ran into each other at the pool. Following advice on this board, I checked in with the maitre D when I first got on board and made sure I was at least at a big table. I was. He didn't have to make any changes. Enjoy!!!

I have traveled solo twice on Carnival. Both times I chose late dining. Seated at a table with two other solos for the 1st solo cruise(Triumph). We ended up being the only people to show up for dinner every night(There were suppose to be at least 6 other people at that table.). We end enjoyed ourselves & the big table. My 2nd solo(Conquest), I was seated at a table with a family of 3(Two parents & their adult child.). It wasn't too bad. Solo cruise #3 coming up in November(Conquest). Chose late dining again.

I have traveled assigned early seating on Carnival as a solo. Both times I was seated with tables full of couples or groups. Had a great time with first group although they were old enough to be my Grandparents, but they were a very funny. The other group were all married couples, and honestly they were OK, but I really only liked two of the couples, one of the women in group I always felt sorry for her, husband appeared and acted like a miserable human being, she should have thrown him over board ( I kid) but he seemed to resent anyone else at the table, including his wife.

I had assigned dining on Carnival twice, late seating each time. The first time, it was mostly an older crowd, but I still had some great conversations with them during dinners. The second time, two of my tablemates were close to me in age, and we ended up hanging out together outside of dinner. From what I heard, Carnival is really good at matching people of similar age and family status. (In other words, they won't seat a solo or a newlywed couple at a table with young children.)

Go with assigned dining; the safety net factor of having a predermined group of people to sit with is great. Really takes the pressure off you during the day (to look for people to go to dinner with, that is). If you get bad tablemates, just speak to the maitre d', and ask him to move you.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Hey everyone,

I have my second solo cruise next month on Carnival; my first was on NCL Sky. I am trying to decide whether I should do Anytime Dining, or assigned, and if assigned should I choose Early or Late.

Solo Travelers, in your experience on Carnival (I will be on the Breeze), do they seat you with other solo travelers? And if so, which time would put me in a better place to meet other solo travelers, early dining or late dining?

Thanks in advance!

***I have looked at the roll call for my trip, but it seems filled with couples and I am interested in meeting other solos.

I have had assigned early......

There was afew Solos @ the table.....

Also there was Sisters traveling together..

Or Aunts & Nieces...Or Friends ECT::

You can meet with the Mailtre'd he/or she can

check your table,give you a ideal who your

tablemates will be............

When I was on the Victory afew years ago.

There was two tables of Solo Cruisers sitting together......

Some of us would go to the Shows together..........

I now do Anytime Dining........

The reason,,,,I sometimes like to just go to the Buffet.

You can ask to be seated with Solos in the Dining Room..

I ask for a table for two............

These tables are close that you can talk with others........

There are pros and cons to either:

1) Traditional fixed - Pro: you are more likely seated with other solo cruisers and you get to know people over the course of the week and become friends. Con: You could get stuck with with people you don't have anything in common with although you can ask for a table change. You eat at the same time every night - con/pro - depends upon your dining preference.

2) Anytime dining - 1) you do not have a fixed dining time or table so if you want to early you can or eat late or if you meet people during the day you can dine with them. Complete flexibility. Con: You don't get to know people that well - every night it's the same small talk (where are you from, are you having a nice cruise.....) It's a better option if you are very social and like meeting a lot of people and don't want to lock into the same people every night. However, you can be seated with other singles, couples, groups, families, etc. This is probably not a good option if you are shy or the quiet type.

IMO I really think solo on second seating fixed traditional is the best option for solos. But you need to do what's best for you. Older people and families usually do first seating. Solos and younger couples usually do second. With Fixed you know who you are sitting with every night (other the first night). If you don't want to be locked in to the same people every night and want complete dining flexibility then go with Anytime.

Edited by COMBOY

• 5 weeks later...
Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance!

I believe I am on your cruise and also Solo. Hope to see you there.

Hey everyone,

I have my second solo cruise next month on Carnival . . . if assigned should I choose Early or Late.

Solo Travelers, in your experience on Carnival (I will be on the Breeze) . . . early dining or late dining?

Hi Worldsmine.

I've done one solo on CCL (Glory); I was seated along a wall at a bench table for four with one other solo woman who was also from New England. She was not friends material, but it was OK for dinner. I would never make other plans and just not show-up for dinner; I would have at least let her know. She was always there, too. I was on the Breeze earlier this year; I like this ship, especially the Serenity area and the rope walk thing.

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

I heard from a friend today who is aboard the carnival magic now. He was assigned to a table for two and he has been dining alone. Not good! I suggested its not too late to ask the maitre d' for a table switch. It makes me sad to think that this happened to him. :(

I hope he takes my advice. It's his first solo cruise and I encouraged him to go for it. I've always made friends on mine.

On all my solo cruises with Carnival, the majority of the tables were other solo cruisers.

If it wasn't solo, it was friends traveling together. On my cruise in July, there were two friends and four friends together.

The one time I was seated with a couple, there was also another solo cruiser. However, this was one of my best tables and I still talk with this couple.

I had late dining and sat at a table for 10 with 8 other people. The first night there were only 8 of us. I'd asked the maitre'd earlier if I was at a solo table and he confirmed that we were all the same age. Turns out we were all in the same field as well. They were newbies to cruising and very loud and excitable. I ate with them every night, didn't see much of them outside of the MDR.

For me the Mardi Gras menu got old fast and I'd show up to dinner having already eaten and just order the veggies. I actually preferred eating solo on the Lido.

Have fun!:)

• 3 years later...

Hey I am a solo cruiser leaving Carnival Spirit 25/05 from Sydney and then again 12/06 to South Pacific. This is my 4th Carnival the previous three out of US ports. My 35th cruise loved every one, some with current wives, girlfriends , mates brothers and five solos , all parts of the world.When solo link up early with solo travellers we do not want to sit at a table with boring couples.:):D:p:cool:

• 5 months later...

See... I am trying to decide if I want to request this, honestly. I'm not sure I want to share a table with others at all, if I can help it. I just want to show up, eat and then head somewhere else to socialize.

I do agree that's not the best policy to assume a solo traveler wants to dine alone, though - certainly sometimes dinner company after a day of being alone could be welcomed! Not all solo travelers are reclusive, and sitting alone at a table when everyone around you is in pairs or groups could make a person feel very lonely.

I need to remember to speak with dining staff when I board the ship, whichever I decide to do... I don't want them to assume things!

I heard from a friend today who is aboard the carnival magic now. He was assigned to a table for two and he has been dining alone. Not good! I suggested its not too late to ask the maitre d' for a table switch. It makes me sad to think that this happened to him. :(

I hope he takes my advice. It's his first solo cruise and I encouraged him to go for it. I've always made friends on mine.

First time - was seated with other solos, different ages, and gender. I was the youngest by 20+ years! Had the absolute best time. Still facebook friends with one.

Second time - seated with all females much closer to my age range. Apparently, it was spring break the next state over and everyone decided to go cruising! Needless to say they were all drunk and were looking for short term love (i was not approached thank goodness!). Twas horrible but I laughed it off, ate my meal, and moved it along. Honestly it was 20-30 minutes of my life for a few days, wasn't worth trying to find another table, especially as the sailing was quite full.