Newbie question on how to unwrinkle packed clothes without high costs!

Gingergirl47

We are first time Cruisers and understand irons are not allowed. Is the only option to have your clothes pressed or look presentable after unpacking them is to pay for it? If I'm reading that right the cost to do my husband's and my items will be well over $100 just for pressing (not laundry or dry cleaning services). That's ridiculous! Any suggestions, we are traveling on Celebrity Equinox.

Thank you!

We use plastic from the dry cleaner to cover clothes that wrinkle and that helps a great deal.

Also if you hang up some items and run the shower the steam will help.

I would post on the Celebrity board to ask if they have self service laundry rooms with irons in them. Some cruise lines/ships have them but I am not sure about Celebrity.

Keith

Downy Wrinkle Release is a good alternative. Just hang the item, spray it and smooth it down. Cheaper than buying the product is to take a spray bottle and a dryer sheet. Put the sheet in the bottle and add water. But keep in mind that everyone is in the same situation. Some just ignore the wrinkles. Others of us who cruise a lot have wardrobes of clothing we travel with that doesn't show wrinkles, washes easily by hand and dries fast. EM

We buy clothes specifically for travel. Started doing this with suits when I travelled for business.

We now have a fair amount of travel clothing, enough to fill our carry on, that is either wrinkle free or is after it is hung up for a few hours. Even though we travel with carry on only we do not fill the bag to the brim and crush it down to close the lid. This can make a huge difference.

I buy clothes that need little or no ironing

Just hang thing in the bathroom & turn on the shower for a few minute the steam will help with the wrinkles

I do this with DH linen shirts it seems to work fine

If you are sailing on Celebrity, you are correct; they do not have self serve laundry or ironing facilities. You would need to send out items to be pressed. But seasoned travellers, whether they cruise or do land vacations know a few tricks.

First- and most obvious, don't take items that you know will wrinkle badly. Linen is one (although I have a couple of linen pieces I still bring because they're so danged comfortable). You will know which items in your wardrobe fall into this category. I'm not going to suggest that you go out and buy an entire travel wardrobe. But if you are getting a few new pieces, go for ones that are less likely to wrinkle. I love jersey; any wrinkles just fall away when it's hung up.

Second- learn how to pack properly to avoid wrinkling. The Internet is full of videos on this topic. Dry cleaners bags or tissue paper can help. Packing cubes work well for items like properly rolled tee shirts.

Third- (and related to the previous) don't overpack or underpack your suitcase. Overpacking crushes your clothes, resulting in more wrinkles and creases. Underpacking allows the clothes to shift around as the suitcase is moved. Many suitcases come with adjustable or elastic securing straps- Use them.

Fourth- Minimize the length of time your clothes are in the suitcase. I pack the night before departure. And hang up your clothes as soon as your luggage gets to your stateroom.

FINALLY- if a few of your clothes are still wrinkled after hanging for a few hours, hang them in the bathroom with the shower running HOT water (steaming them out), or try Wrinkle Release (be careful with this- certain fabrics may show spots from this). Or do what a lot of cruisers do - just ignore the wrinkles. You won't be the only one in the same boat (pun intended)

I hang all dreesses, blouses, mens ****rts etc on metal dry cleaner hangers when I pack and then put dray cleaner plastic bag over the garments. For items I think may wrinkle badly, I put a dry cledan bag under the garment and then hang and then a bag goes over the item. Pack, folding as few times as posible. The bags trap air which helps avoid wrinkles. Most of my clothes rarely wrinkle. In my category cab in, pressing, laundry and dry cleaning are included at no extra cost. Even though I would have no charge, I almost never send out more han perhaps a dresss or one of my Dh's suit/ sports jackets.

The last two times I travelled I rolled all my clothing--t-shirts, skirts, dresses, pants, sweaters--and nothing came out badly creased. Clothing fits better this way, is easier to locate if you have to live out of your suitcase pre or post cruise, and suffers much fewer wrinkles and creases. Try it! And be sure to unpack and hang as soon as you can.

We are first time Cruisers and understand irons are not allowed. Is the only option to have your clothes pressed or look presentable after unpacking them is to pay for it? If I'm reading that right the cost to do my husband's and my items will be well over $100 just for pressing (not laundry or dry cleaning services). That's ridiculous! Any suggestions, we are traveling on Celebrity Equinox.

Thank you!

Switch to a cruise line like Oceania where irons are provided in the self-serve laundries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We buy clothes specifically for travel. Started doing this with suits when I travelled for business.

We now have a fair amount of travel clothing, enough to fill our carry on, that is either wrinkle free or is after it is hung up for a few hours. Even though we travel with carry on only we do not fill the bag to the brim and crush it down to close the lid. This can make a huge difference.

This is what we do.

At this point, most of my travel clothing doesn't wrinkle or doesn't hold wrinkles. A few of my favorite brands are: Tilley Endurables, Eddie Bauer (travex and voyager lines), Ex officio, and Jag. For elegant night, my favorite dress is the transformer dress by Von Vonni. It costs less than $30 to get it altered for length, and it does not wrinkle, plus there are dozens of ways to wear it and will compliment most body styles.

When you pack, either roll your clothes or pack them criss cross. This will stop them from sliding around in your case. Packed like this for nearly 30 years and have had very few wrinkled clothes. An easy way to get the wrinkles out is to hang the wrinkled item in the bathroom whilst showering, the steam and heat will allow the wrinkles to drop out.

Or if all else fails, go to a nudist resort....:o:o

To the OP - Follow whichever of the above advice that works for you, then relax and enjoy your cruise. Even if you are a little wrinkled, no one else will mind or, frankly, notice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, ^^ This.

I use Eagle Creek packs and cubes. Wish I had discovered them years ago. Keep clothes from wrinkling and keep the suitcase organized. I unpack the packs as soon as my suitcase arrives in my cabin, and hang things up. I put cubes in the drawers.

Roz

We use plastic from the dry cleaner to cover clothes that wrinkle and that helps a great deal.

Also if you hang up some items and run the shower the steam will help.

I would post on the Celebrity board to ask if they have self service laundry rooms with irons in them. Some cruise lines/ships have them but I am not sure about Celebrity.

Keith

Celebrity don’t.

One reason we go back to Princess for longer cruises is the self serve laundry.

Honestly, I've never had clothes wrinkled so badly that they needed pressing; I do mostly bring clothing made of fabfri s that travel well and leave at home any thing that is high maintenance--not that I have many things like that for my regular wear anyway.

As others have said, many wrinkles will fall out if hung, especially in the bathroom, you can use wrinkle release spray although after trying this once, I decided it wasn't worth it. By the time you wear a perfectly ironed outfit for a few minutes if it is hot and humid it won't look perfect for long anyway.

To the OP - Follow whichever of the above advice that works for you, then relax and enjoy your cruise. Even if you are a little wrinkled, no one else will mind or, frankly, notice.

Clothes are fine, wrinkles came out in the shower, now my body, no amount of steam is helping!

Thank you!

I have not traveled without this in years. It heats up in about a minute and is easy to use. It's especially useful on cruises that don't have laundry facilities.

https://www.hsn.com/products/joy-900-watt-supreme-steam-go-mini-steamer-with-bag/7998220

I have not traveled without this in years. It heats up in about a minute and is easy to use. It's especially useful on cruises that don't have laundry facilities.

https://www.hsn.com/products/joy-900-watt-supreme-steam-go-mini-steamer-with-bag/7998220

Steamers are prohibited. Has to do with the electrical draw, heating elements and shut off features. This one might be ok but it’s easier to have a complete ban on all clothes irons and steamers.

The few times we had to travel with suits and dress shirts I’ve ironed the shirts and folded before packing. Hardly a wrinkle.

Steamers are prohibited. Has to do with the electrical draw, heating elements and shut off features. This one might be ok but it’s easier to have a complete ban on all clothes irons and steamers.

The few times we had to travel with suits and dress shirts I’ve ironed the shirts and folded before packing. Hardly a wrinkle.

I've been told by HAL and RC this one is fine and never had an issue. I am OCD about wrinkles and although my husband is a master packer, there will be a few wrinkles, so this is essential for me. It is convenient, fast and easy.