Cruising with teens on a separate deck?

tjf9

Call your travel agent or the cruise line and ask for two cabins together. Explain your situation and maybe they will be able to accommodate you. If you have to, you could put one adult and one teen in each room. Enjoy your first cruise and Alaska!

As a parent, I must agree, this is not a wise thing to do. Kids are kids (brash and impulsive) and some adults are predators. DO NOT DO THIS.

If you cannot convince the ship to rearrange the accommodations, then you must either go with option 4 or keep the sleeping arrangements as booked (one parent and one teen in each cabin).

Either way, if you concern is parental alone time, you can find it, probably during the kid-friendliest on-board events.

I don’t think the poster was being rude, their just trying to explain why two 14 y/o in a cabin alone so far away is a very bad idea. Each cabin is assigned to a muster station (lifeboat). If you’re cabins are not very near one another, they will have different stations. The above poster was indicating that in the case of an emergency, you won’t be with your kids. And technically you would be in breach of your cruise contract and could possibly be put off the ship at the nearest port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And many cruise lines check off who is there for the muster station

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Forums mobile app

In the end this comes down to the maturity of your children.

In our case back when our children were these ages I would have felt comfortable with our daughter on another deck but not our son plus I would find it very inconvenient so for us I would never do this.

Keith

We've actually cruised numerous times with my Grandson, Nephew and their friends. We have not, however, cruised on NCL. We've booked them in cabins across from us and down the hall from us. They were all good kids who we trusted. As their ages increased, and their experience with cruises under their belt, they knew the rules. Bed check and NO leaving the cabin and no one entering the cabin...for their own safety as much as for them following of the rules and respectful behavior. They had the same cabin steward as us and the same Muster Station. We always requested specific cabins with no upgrades. No one else can make this decision for you. You can "skirt" the rules, just as we did by putting on paper that an adult would be in each of the cabins. I'm certainly guilty of that. I just would not personally be comfortable with 14 year olds six floors away.

In the end this comes down to the maturity of your children.

In our case back when our children were these ages I would have felt comfortable with our daughter on another deck but not our son plus I would find it very inconvenient so for us I would never do this.

Keith

As long as they are two 14 year olds in a cabin six floor away from adult supervision, it really isn't a matter of maturity. It is against the rules of the cruiseline and will be reported by the cabin stewards.

I did have the misfortune of being next door to 3 adolescents with the parents down the hall. They screamed and sang and laughed into the night. They quit when I finally banged on our adjoining door after midnight. When I saw them in the hall I gave them the granny lecture. They were polite and quiet from then on. I could have called security, but letting them know I needed sleep worked. I understand why you don’t want to crowd your room or separate the adults. I think I would try really hard to get adjoining rooms.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My parents never cruised, heck, most of our family vacations were driving to a Catskill Mtn hotel from NYC.

But I would have loved it if my parents did cruise when I was 14, and let me stay in my own cabin 6 decks away. I would be having parties, inviting girls, smuggling or having an adult get me booze, etc, every chance I could knowing my parents were on another deck.

BTW, I was an honor student, boy scout and altar boy when I was 14, just a regular well behaved kid.

• 2 weeks later...

My kids will not be 6 decks away. I kinda figured it was a big deal, (hence all the follow up questions) but definitely got the message here as well.

Still waffling between the family cabin and canceling altogether if they can't get us close together. My 14 year olds are adult sized (and smelling!) so 4 of us in a single cabin will be tight. One call to NCL (I didn't use a TA) was not helpful. I'll give it a couple more tries hoping to find someone who can really resolve this for me before I go the cancel route.

Thanks for all the feedback

I am just sorry this happened to you!! I hope you choose the family cabin. We've cruised with the teenagers and while it is true that we rarely saw them, it was nice to be able to share in their stories and excitement when we did. Good luck!!! 😁

My kids will not be 6 decks away. I kinda figured it was a big deal, (hence all the follow up questions) but definitely got the message here as well.

Still waffling between the family cabin and canceling altogether if they can't get us close together. My 14 year olds are adult sized (and smelling!) so 4 of us in a single cabin will be tight. One call to NCL (I didn't use a TA) was not helpful. I'll give it a couple more tries hoping to find someone who can really resolve this for me before I go the cancel route.

Thanks for all the feedback

Didn't you say in your original post that you had never been on a cruise before? You have nothing to compare this to so why not put everyone in one cabin? Another poster also stated earlier that they looked up your sailing and there are cabin categories that have balconies that are together and are not sold out. Did you book a guarantee for two people in one cabin?

Didn't you say in your original post that you had never been on a cruise before? You have nothing to compare this to so why not put everyone in one cabin? Another poster also stated earlier that they looked up your sailing and there are cabin categories that have balconies that are together and are not sold out. Did you book a guarantee for two people in one cabin?

If you read the original post, you will see that he booked two gty cabins, thinking that they would be assigned side by side. They placed one adult and one teen in each, intending to switch onboard so the kids would be in one cabin and adults in the other. But the cabins were assigned six decks apart. EM

If you read the original post, you will see that he booked two gty cabins, thinking that they would be assigned side by side. They placed one adult and one teen in each, intending to switch onboard so the kids would be in one cabin and adults in the other. But the cabins were assigned six decks apart. EM

I did read the original post. Several times. The word guarantee was never mentioned.

I did read the original post. Several times. The word guarantee was never mentioned.

The word guarantee was not mentioned but will you concede that the OP was not aware of the room locations until after the booking?

The only situation I'm aware of when cabins are not known at time of booking ("At the time we booked, I was not able to choose cabins because it was already close to sold out") is a guarantee booking.

What I am saying is there is a great likelihood that other categories were/are available, most likely at a higher cost. OP could get two cabins together but are still attempting to get cabins changed because of the “guarantee.” I will assume they booked the “guarantee” because it was cheaper/cheapest. We all know when you book a guarantee, you take Your chances.

I would freak out to do it. Doesn't matter how old my kids are if they are teens it's nowhere near safe.

Well, the age of the teens makes a difference, ds19 just drove 6 hours to Canada where he is renting a house with 11 of his fraternity brothers for the week. Other houses nearby are being rented by other students. I’d feel much better having him on a cruise ship with me, even on another deck! But, he’s an adult, just hope he doesnt make too many stupid decisions.

My 20-year-old just drove 17+ hours to hang with 30 frat brothers. Wouldn't let me fly him down to Fort Lauderdale because he "wanted to make some memories during the drive." I've been getting those texts saying "the hotel's wifi isn't really working" or "my phone is acting up." I won't sleep this week.

My 20-year-old just drove 17+ hours to hang with 30 frat brothers. Wouldn't let me fly him down to Fort Lauderdale because he "wanted to make some memories during the drive." I've been getting those texts saying "the hotel's wifi isn't really working" or "my phone is acting up." I won't sleep this week.

Silly me, it just hit me why they drove north in March, they can go to bars in Canada. It’s the first time he can drink legally.